somebody stop me!!

Options
So... I need some advice/tips. I am a college student that's home for the summer, and at home there is constantly food EVERYWHERE!! At school I never even had the opportunity to binge because I would have had to go all the way to the dining hall or spend my own money on food (gasp! never!). But now I constantly have food availabe and I cannot seem to control myself!! I really need help with ways to avoid mindless snacking and binging and tips on how to hold myself accountable. I am especially weak to carbs (pasta, pancakes, bagels, bread, cereal....all consistently available). I would really appreciate any advice. THANKS! :happy:

Replies

• cvanvick
    cvanvick Posts: 17
    Options
    So... I need some advice/tips. I am a college student that's home for the summer, and at home there is constantly food EVERYWHERE!! At school I never even had the opportunity to binge because I would have had to go all the way to the dining hall or spend my own money on food (gasp! never!). But now I constantly have food availabe and I cannot seem to control myself!! I really need help with ways to avoid mindless snacking and binging and tips on how to hold myself accountable. I am especially weak to carbs (pasta, pancakes, bagels, bread, cereal....all consistently available). I would really appreciate any advice. THANKS! :happy:
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    the book "You on a diet" suggests doing something that keeps your hands busy. It doesn't have to be hard labor or anything.

They suggest video games, knitting, crossword puzzles, ect..ect...

Make sure you drink tons of water too...that way you'll feel more full..although ....I don't care if I drank a rivers worth of water, if there's apple pie in front of me its all down here from there!

:laugh:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to keep busy away from the food?

Use this site, you have to record the food BEFORE you eat it. This gives you a chance to rethink.
  • stacy83084
    stacy83084 Posts: 18
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I was in college it was the same way for me. I have sinced moved back in with my parents and I struggle with the food everywhere. I have not figured out how to deal with this as I have little self control. Hopefully there will be some great suggestions from other members.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep running, and then make sure you have healthy quick microwaveable popcorn to munch, and WATER! Maybe your favorite diet soda if you have a sugar craving. This is a filling way to munch endlessly, and healthy. Good luck!
  • Tizz
    Tizz Posts: 38
    Options
    Mindless Snacking was my down fall too! Chop up a bag full of veggies (Carrots, Cucumber, Celery(you burn more cals digesting it than eating it)) and MUNCH AWAY!!! it keeps ur hands busy and away from any detrimental stuff
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Keep busy and get out of the house and/or away from food!
    Sometimes though I really need to sit and feel like I am really eating...I still enjoy snacking while watching tv.movie
    Grab the 100 cal bags of pop-corn

Kim
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I have the same problem, even if I just visit home for the weekend. Just make a deal with yourself. Pick a day, maybe once a week where it's o.k. to spluge a little, but not overdo. Then the rest of the days enjoy time with your family not involving food. We're very active, spending time at the pool, going for walks or just hanging outside. GOod luck!
  • cvanvick
    cvanvick Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the input everybody!! I've still got two months left at home, so I am going to commit to do much better the rest of the time! :happy: