Has the food you take to a potluck changed?

Options
I notice that I now take a veggies tray compared to when I used to take a meat and cheese tray, chips, alcohol, or dessert.

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes it has. I always make sure that I bring something that I can eat and that it will be in my calorie limit. I also dont take anything that I wouldnt want around my house due to leftovers
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    yikes , I'm the opposite....I take something that I myself don't want to eat normally, and would prefer making it for others....deviled eggs or homemade 5 cheese mac n cheese....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I notice that I now take a veggies tray compared to when I used to take a meat and cheese tray, chips, alcohol, or dessert.

Yup. For example, a year ago I'd take a nice piece of roast meat, or an interesting couscous, or salad.

I recently went to a potluck and brought 9 pounds of pimento cheese I had just made.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nope, no change. Either baked beans and wine or cheesy cauliflower soup and wine.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    never been to one, think it' an American thing.
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    never been to one, think it' an American thing.

It's a friendly casual get together of people where everyone brings there own dish. Call it a picnic if you will. It's definitely worth it. I end up trading recipes with people before the end of the day is over.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still bring banana bread. Its the kind from the back of the splenda package. Or sometimes I bring carrots and ranch dip. Same old stuff that I always brought
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nope, I always bring a family size Stouffers mac n cheese to potlucks and will continue to do so. I'll also still eat it :)
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't change what I bring, but when we have any sort of non-potluck type of gathering, I make sure that there is healthier choices out there for people. Before I didn't care if it was all chips and soda..lol
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I still bring the same things I brought before. What has changed is the amount I eat at these events. I used to eat a bit of everything just because it was there or because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings (not everyone is a good cook!) now I stick with the healthier options and have my dessert!
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a veg tray or creative / healthy salad. I have changed from ranch dip to humus, and lettuce base to like a tom/cucumber or quinoa though. Now I get raves even when sitting next to the nacho bar!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've changed, I use it as a way to test out new recipes and share them with my ONE paleo coworker :) Last week I made a butternut squash lasanga, it was completely gone before I could try for seconds and got awesome reviews! nom nom nom

http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-butternut-squash-lasagna
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've always been the lame *kitten* to take the salad. "Ya don't win friends with sa-lad! Ya don't win friends with sa-lad!"
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I try to take a lightened up dessert, because I know I will be tempted to have dessert and that way I have an option within my calorie budget.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I find it sad that awesome and nutritious foods like meat platters and deviled eggs are being vilified and that people actually think you have to just suck on veggies all of the time to be healthy. It's very sad, and somewhat disturbing. Veggies are awesome...but there's far more to being healthy and getting proper nutrition than sucking on celery sticks.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I make the fattiest, most calorie laden dish I can think of and bring it...that way I have no intention of eating it. Plus, to all the haters I work with, let them get fat not me.