alcohol

Options
I enjoy a couple of drinks about once every couple of months. Just wondering if this will sabotage
by weight loss goal.

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Nope, not if you work it in your calories and drink in moderation.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No, count the calories and enjoy.
  • sarahbernardi123
    sarahbernardi123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are only drinking once every couple months it should not be an issue, the problem arises when it is constant! Enjoy yourself! And if you are still feeling guilty about drinking, wine is great for low cal drinks!
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    Alcohol is pretty much liquid fat. It is definately going to sabotage your weight goal. I am giving up alcohol for three weeks (its not that hard but in the summer weather I love a mojito)! But I just keep reminding myself that;
    1. The cocktails I love all contain copious amounts of sugar and fat.
    2. The cider and lager I love also contain a lot of fat-and they bloat you, making you look bigger.
    3. The goal at the end will be so much tastier than that light beer!

So I would say if you can try to keep it down to only a couple a week, or cut it out. Definately feeling a difference so far. good luck :)
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Nope, just dont do the whole Binge and purge thing. a little of anything every now and again wont hurt anything just be focused and on top of things
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I have a drink or two a day (glass of wine, beer, etc.) and make sure it fits into my daily goals.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    It absolutely sabotages mine regularly. I have little to no self-control when it comes to alcohol though. I am working on that. If you can fit one or two drinks in your calories then go for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is pretty much liquid fat. It is definately going to sabotage your weight goal. I am giving up alcohol for three weeks (its not that hard but in the summer weather I love a mojito)! But I just keep reminding myself that;
    2. The cider and lager I love also contain a lot of fat-and they bloat you, making you look bigger.

So I would say if you can try to keep it down to only a couple a week, or cut it out. Definately feeling a difference so far. good luck :)

Actually, you cannot store the calories consumed from drinking alcohol...you have to metabolize them immediately. But, what does happen is that anything you eat while drinking is going to get stored as fat (temporarily) because your body is completely dedicated to metabolizing the alcohol and can't metabolize anything else. I say temporarily because if you are at a deficit of calories, you're going to burn it as soon as your body is done metabolizing it.

I definitely cut back on my consumption when I was losing, but I did lose 35-40 Lbs drinking on weekends (and rarely in moderation). I've been maintaining now for a couple of months and getting ready to cut again to get rid of this last 5% or so BF so I'll be cutting it out of my day to day again, but will most definitely enjoy myself on the weekends.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I have a drink or two a day (glass of wine, beer, etc.) and make sure it fits into my daily goals.

+1
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a couple of drinks about once every couple of months. Just wondering if this will sabotage
    by weight loss goal.
    Yes. And so will a plate of pasta and one single gram of sugar.

Also, a couple drinks every few months? May I suggest AA?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    by weight loss goal.
    Yes. And so will a plate of pasta and one single gram of sugar.

Also, a couple drinks every few months? May I suggest AA?

you can be a lifelong alcoholic without ever having a drink. Its a serious issue.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

there isn't a trace of fat in beer. or Cholestrol for that matter.

http://beer.about.com/od/beernutrition/a/beernutrition_2.htm
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/ was posted on here awhile back, and I bookmarked it to have on hand - for me, wine is definitely a favorite.
  • joanne3616
    joanne3616 Posts: 5
    Options
    SkinnyGirl is your best friend if you are trying to stay on a weight loss plan and still drink.
  • banana1280
    banana1280 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I'll have a couple of beers or a glass or two of wine on occasion. Occasionally, more. But I am not perfect!
  • banana1280
    banana1280 Posts: 5
    Options
    to Billica
    Thanks for your concern in suggesting AA but I don't think that having a
    couple drinks every few months makes me an alcoholic.
  • skylarking036
    Options
    I sure hope not or I'm hosed.