Man in Business Suit - Flat Front or Pleated Pants?

Options

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Pleats are pretty un-flattering. They also give the dreaded "pants tent" when you sit down.

Flat front all the way!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Flat-Front – Flat-front pants are slimming, snugger-fitting and since they go in and out of fashion, are generally better suited for the style-conscious. Since there are no pleats, the silhouette is more smooth and straight, accentuating slimmer figures. These pants should be well tailored, a bit loose around the waist, and worn just on or below the hipbones. It’s important to keep in mind that flat-front pants are an unforgiving cut. On larger men, this style may be too tight and uncomfortable around the waist, belly and thighs. Flat-front pants will not only accentuate a slim figure, but also emphasize a belly.

Pleated – Pleated pants are more generous around the middle, allowing for comfort and ease of movement. Because of this, pleats are a constant option and don’t go in and out of fashion. The pleated style helps to make a larger man’s front look flatter. Pleats are also ideal for men with a large back-side or athletes with large thighs. Men who have physically active jobs or lifestyles also find that pleated pants are roomier and easier to move in. Pleated pants should be worn just above the hipbones at the natural waist. Slender men, especially if tall, should avoid pleated pants because there will be too much extra room and the silhouette will appear sloppy.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Both. Pleats do have a place.

In certain industries such as financial, always go conservative. You want to project a stable, prudent image. Latest styles and fitted clothing projects youth. Youth does not project wisdom - dress mature.

A flashy peacock tells the client that you are making too much money off him and that you spend money frivolously. Your goal is to conduct business, not make a fashion statement. Other than a wedding band and conservative watch, off the jewelry too. Less is more.

This is not a slam, but limit the female influence on business attire. (sure you will probably look better, but unless youre in the fashion industry, just dont.) Ugly ties rule.

Sadly, I think this nails my situation to a tee. Thanks for the response.

And I agree with all of the female responses that flat front looks better so thank you for those responses. Unfortunately I'm more likely to have to impress a fat, balding, 50-something executive.

Since when was wearing flat front pants a sign that you're flashy peacock?

Whether your suit is "conservative" or "modern" depends on a lot of things, none of which include the FIT. Being conservative might mean two-buttons, side vents, notched lapels, etc.

But pleated pants just look bad unless you're overweight. If you're thin and in shape, flat front pants will give you an overall better appearance... the same way I'd never recommend cuffs on a shorter man. A suit that fits right will do you far more justice than an ill-fitting suit. Mature doesn't mean poorly-fit. Although it's true that a lot of "mature" i.e. older gentlemen ARE wearing poorly fit suits. But that's because they don't know any better.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    As somebody who dressed men for a living -- do not, I repeat do not wear pants with pleats. They are outdated. They add weigh to your lower abdomen. They are the equivalent of mom jeans. NOBODY looks good with front butt. NOBODY.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think the only places I've seen men wearing pleated pants in recent memory were weddings when that was part of the formalwear. Flat front is much more modern looking but pleated could be a good choice if a guy tends to have a more prominent profile in the groin area.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I prefer my husband in flat front pants but here's some info I found on Josbank.com

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/ContentView?storeId=11001&catalogId=10050&contentKey=DRESSPANTS

Pleated dress pants are the classic look. Pleats have a couple benefits, like adding detail to the pants as well as flattering large-built body types. If you have larger legs, carry extra weight in your midsection, or have a broad upper body, pleated pants will help balance out your appearance. They may actually help you look slimmer. One to two pleats will sufficiently capture this effect.

Flat-front pants, on the other hand, are more modern and complement a business casual look. Plain front slacks have no pleats, giving them a slimmer and more tailored appearance. Men with slim-built body types look best in this type of pant.

Pretty much this whole statement.
  • Joocey
    Options
    Flat front is much more modern looking but pleated could be a good choice if a guy tends to have a more prominent profile in the groin area.

If you're one of the fortunate guys with this problem, show it off proudly and shamelessly!
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Try on a few pairs. I think on some people, pleated pants look poofy. But, you have to be careful that your flat-fronts aren't too tight...
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Flat my man
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So I'm a mid to late thirties professional in a somewhat conservative accounting firm. I just got put on a client that will require me to wear a professional business suit 3-4 days per week at the client. Acknowledging how much that is going to suck in the heat of the summer, I will still need to pick up 2-3 new suits. The big question - flat front or pleated pants?

I have a relatively athletic build while still trying to lose another 3-4 inches off my waist. The internet seems to have quite a bit of bias toward flat front, but when I look around the only people I really see wearing flat front are those in their 20's or those that are extremely lean/skinny (not muscular at all). What say you, MFP?

I used to work at Van Heusen (we sold women and men's casual clothing and dress wear). I suggest to go with the flat front they tend to create a slimmer look. You are correct younger men tend to prefer them because of this; they are slimmer in the leg than the pleated. Now if you prefer a little more leg/ thigh room then go with the pleated. In the end it comes down to what you prefer, but my opinion is flat front.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    UNLESS you are pulling a Ron Burgandy, its the pleats
    its-the-pleats1-332x411_zpsf8be2992.png
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options

This is not a slam, but limit the female influence on business attire. (sure you will probably look better, but unless youre in the fashion industry, just dont.) Ugly ties rule.

Haha, touché.

There's a reason we girls don't necessarily listen to what men think we ought to wear to work either (: Ain't enough Halloween secretary costumes in the world.

I do agree with the flat front side though. Perhaps there's a middle way? Something plain, understated and modest (see also: boring) without appearing either too 'GQ' or too 80s?

Or wear a kilt, and really freak the client out.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I prefer men in flat fronts. Pleated pants are to men what mu-mu's are to women! Congrats on your job!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Both. Pleats do have a place.

In certain industries such as financial, always go conservative. You want to project a stable, prudent image. Latest styles and fitted clothing projects youth. Youth does not project wisdom - dress mature.

A flashy peacock tells the client that you are making too much money off him and that you spend money frivolously. Your goal is to conduct business, not make a fashion statement. Other than a wedding band and conservative watch, off the jewelry too. Less is more.

No, sorry. Flat front pants became popular in the US several years ago. They are not in anyway "new" or on the cutting edge of fashion. Wearing pleats at this point doesn't make you look conservative, it makes you look dated and sloppy. Flat front pants aren't a woman's influence, it's basically Europe's influence.

No, you don't want to appear flashy, but wearing clothes that were popular two decades ago isn't your only option. If you can purchase flat fronted pants at say Sears (and you totally can), you are not going to appear as though you are a fashion hound.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    While I know a lot of guys prefer the flat front pants, I've also heard they're not all that comfortable when you have to sit all the time at the job. Will you suffer for fashion? lol

It all comes down to fit. A tailored suit will always be in style, because it's made for your body..
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    FLAT. Pleats are very dated looking.
  • Joocey
    Options
    Wear a vintage tie. Conservative! Old-fashioned!

kippers-tie64.jpg
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What decade are we in?

Pleats?!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Flat front great on skinny girls or boys with no manhood. Pleats are for men who wear their trousers in the right place, not hanging of their hips with half their underwear on show.
    Girls tell you flat fronts are telling you something and you're missing it.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think it depends the look you are going for....flat is def the more "in" look right now. I own both and I feel like pleats look more professional