Breakfast Quinoa

Options

Replies

• sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    so going to try these ideas never had Quinoa before :)
  • Bubble105
    Bubble105 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • saraha62
    saraha62 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas! I'd only made quinoa once and didn't like it. (assumed I cooked it incorrectly :grumble: ) I am really excited to have new ideas. :smile:
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :smile:
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    yay good call
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Savoury Breakfast Quinoa

I use the rice cooker (make a big batch on the weekends for meals during the week). Cook one part quinoa to two parts vegetable stock. Season with fresh herbs (chilli is a must :)), top with a spoonful of tomato salsa and dependent on cal's I may add quarter of an avocado as well.. Go to breakfast after a long training run :) NOM NOM NOM
    (I'm not a vegan so I have a soft poached egg on top and cottage cheese- for any who can eat eggs)

1/2 a cup of uncooked quinoa has ~313 calories (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2).

*editted OP is vegan doesn't eat cottage cheese duh!
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I eat quinoa just abt every day. I am diabetic and it is one of the few carbs that does not spike my blood sugar. Sorry no recipes though I just buy the roasted garlic or veggy kind
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try cooking quinoa is unsweetened fruit juice in a slow cooker (1 Cup raw quinoa with 2 cups of juice) .. you can add any spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, cardamom), nuts (roasted almonds, hazelnuts etc), dried fruit (Dates, apricots, craisins etc), fresh fruit (apples work very well) you like. Cook it overnight and you wake up to the awesomest brekkie ever!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump - yum!
  • EmmaGFree
    EmmaGFree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I cook quinoa like cous cous - 2 parts water to one part quinoa, in a pot with the lid on over a low heat. Cook untill the water is gone.

I can mix this with yogurt or ricotta and add berries and nuts or LSA mix. Just a bit lighter than the quinoa porrige.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have oats everyday and never thought about quinoa for breakfast. Bumping for the great ideas.
  • an2860
    an2860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast quinoa! I cook mine in soy milk (vanilla) instead of water. When it's done I add cinnamon or pumpkin spice mix and mixed berries (fresh organic strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries). Yum!
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump