DOCTOR VISITS SINCE YOUR WEIGHTLOSS?

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
At my last physical I was 10 pounds down and they noticed. Right now I am 31 pounds down and have a physical in like 3 weeks. I'm pretty excited to see the reaction. How have ya'lls doctor visits been since your loss...(or should I say, win).

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    WTG!!

At my last physical my doctor was thrilled. Loved the look on his face when he saw me.
    All of my blood work was normal, my BP was normal and no more heartburn. He took me off of my BP meds completely saying I didn't need them anymore. Lost another 40 lbs since so can't wait to see the look on his face at my next physical.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My first visit since I joined MFP is Thursday. I am hoping very much to hit the 40 pounds down mark by then. My doctor, or P.A., is the person who told me about MFP. So, I am looking forward to the weigh in.

I usually hate going to the Dr. just because of weighing in, but not this time.

I do have a back story on Dr visits though. I started a diet in July 2010. Lost 40 pounds by thanksgiving. I went to my Dr appointment and was happy to get on the scale. I got a big pat on the back and all that stuff. Sadly, that was my lowest weight. I was all bigger numbers on the scale from there.

I am not planning a repeat of that mistake. But who knows. I hope everyone on here yells at me if i back slide...
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to no medications for high blood pressure as well.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Going to the Dr. today. We shall see.....

Back about 10 years ago I loss a ton of weight. I was super stoked. I went to the GYN and jumped on scale. The numbers had dropped by over 100lbs. I expected the nurse to say something when she wrote it down under my last weight in. Nothing. :( Ohhhh welllll....
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I have high chol. So do noth my parents. I'm hoping it has gone now, but I won't take it too hard if it hasn't. My mom lost 30 pounds and hers went UP. If it's still high, I won't feel bad, b/c now at least I'm doing my part. It may just be genetics.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    when i lost all my weight the last time, i went in for a physical. The doctor was doing his thing and said "you must work out regularly, you have the heart rate and blood pressure of a teenager"

A year before that i was at a different doctor who pointed out that i was pushing pre-diabetes, had really high blood pressure for a 25 year old and gave me a prescription for an asthma inhaler.

That made my life! i can't beleive i let my fitness and weight slip, but here i am again, within 10-15 lbs of that same place i was last time (minus some gym time - I'm busier now thani was back then)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

I have high chol. So do noth my parents. I'm hoping it has gone now, but I won't take it too hard if it hasn't. My mom lost 30 pounds and hers went UP. If it's still high, I won't feel bad, b/c now at least I'm doing my part. It may just be genetics.

yes high BP and high Cholesterol can be due to genetics. Some people no matter how they eat or what they weigh will still have high BP and high Cholesterol. Fortunately I am still able to get my numbers down with proper diet, exercise and keeping my weight in the normal range.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! i had a physical and health screening recently to complete EMT qualifications...the guy in charge of the physical endurance portion had helped me get through carpal tunnel therapy...knew me 150lbs ago. ^_^
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I got my glucose tested on Thursday and it was lower than in February. I consider that to be a success. :) My doctor was pleased but still concerned so I'm going to continue to work to get it lower.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My doctors were very impressed at my checkup in February...not just with the weight loss, but also my blood work. Almost all of my blood work had gone from horribly bad to normal except one category, but even that was dramatically improved. We both expect a perfect panel come July.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't notice my weight loss until I told her (112# at the time). I wanted to get my BP checked to see if it had dropped along with over 100#. BP was the same (138/90). AFAIK, my blood tests are the same (we're only allowed to get them every 3 years unless there's a medical emergency) and I'm "normal for me" in cholesterol and BP. I've never been on meds for anything because I keep getting told that losing weight will cure my ails. That's the downside of being fat; doctors don't bother looking for a solution for serious issues other than the standard 'lose some weight'. :grumble:
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had lost 60 pounds at my last dr visit. My DR was thrilled. She went out and told the nurses that they had to see my progress pictures, she gave a big hug, and really gave me hope that losing this much weight will help me get pregnant. I have never been happier to go to the dr.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My doctor was one of the few people that kept telling me to not listen to the others that say I should stop losing weight now, and reassured me that I was NOT too skinny. I think I believe my doc before I believe everyone else. He was impressed, nonetheless. :)
  • Tubatubatoaslimmerme
    Options
    Mine sent me for a thyroid test the cheeky so an so, because I lost 2 an a half stone in 4 months, but I'm pleased to say the results came back normal and it was hard work and not my thyroid :)) and he was very pleased
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for my visit. It's mid-August so it will be almost exactly my one year anniversary for weight loss. I am curious to see my blood work, especially my cholesterol now that I am eating 2 eggs per day, though I have cut out a lot of cheese so maybe it's an even swap? I also eat 4 cans of tuna per week now. My cholesterol has never been high as I eat mostly vegetarian.

Also, DRASTICALLY reduced alcohol intake ;)

I have made a lot of dietary changes so would love to see my blood work results.
  • fishsticks913
    fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That was actually one of my faovrite things about going to the doctor.... She is AMAZING and was about jumping up and down when I hit 25 lost.... She is so encouraging and gives me fun advice and ideas.....
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I had a check-up at my endo office last month when I was down about 15 lbs and she was floored I had been able to lose some weight :)
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That awesome! I love going to the doc. Last year my endocrinologist gave me a high five and told me that I had made more progress than any other patient that year. I am confident that I'm not her only star patient, but it's nice to get acknowledged for the hard work and dedication.
  • bstevens1047
    Options
    I also had a fantastic encounter with my PCP.

I had last seen her at my largest, around 287, two years earlier. The nurse getting my stats did a double take when my chart said my previous weight was 185 from 3 years prior. She confirmed I was who my chart said I was. It was super embarrassing to say the least. My blood pressure was high but not dangerously so, my cholesterol wasn't great but also not terrible, but my vitamin D was 9 (yes, 9). She asked me look into losing some weight and try going outside once in a while or at least eat dairy. I walked out filled with shame and 50,000 i.u. of Vit D.

When I came back to her office this past March, at 164, they had no idea who I was. I've seen this doctor for the past 17 years mind you. My blood work came back perfect, my vitamin D was at 50, and my resting heart rate was down to about 58, glucose at 69. The nurses again did a double take asking if they had the right chart, this time I was proud to say yes. She spent the better part of an hour chatting my ear off about how I had gone about losing the weight.

As I was leaving she turned to ask me, "What on earth made you lose all the weight?" Imagine the look of surprise when I answered, "Because you told me to."
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My doctor was one of the few people that kept telling me to not listen to the others that say I should stop losing weight now, and reassured me that I was NOT too skinny. I think I believe my doc before I believe everyone else. He was impressed, nonetheless. :)

I think when you lose a lot of weight and everyone is used to seeing you heavy, you look proportionally thinner to them than strangers. I would listen to the doctors and your body fat in the end
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!