expectations vs reality (of goal weight)

Options
2»

Replies

• Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hit my goal weight about 2 months ago and I must say that I am not completely satisfied with the way I look. It is sooooo much better than before, but for those that have lost 100 lbs give or take the amount of extra skin is a bit disheartening when you bust your *kitten* and then still have the constant reminder. It is totally worth it, but it is definitely a reality check when you get there.
  • Kimberleyg26
    Kimberleyg26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yea I am 4 lbs away from my goal weight and my body looks nothing like I expected. I still have a belly and big arms and thighs. I am 4' 11" and weigh 134 pounds. I am going to adjust my goal weight to 120 pounds and see if this helps me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A goal BF% is far more meaningful than a goal weight IMHO.

I'd also add that when people neglect to do resistance training while they are "dieting" they lose a lot of muscle along with the fat...this often leaves them at some arbitrary goal weight that sounded good and looks good in motivation pictures of other people...but with a higher BF% relative to that weight due to ignoring their muscle.
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight today and....I'm planning to lose 10 more lbs to be happy. I know I should be happy now with my weight (and I kinda am happy) but I want to know how it feels to be 135.
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 6lbs away from my goal weight of 125lbs, and don't want to lose any lower than that, however I can see that I still have a lot of work to do to get everything tightened up the way I would like. I have been doing Jillian Micheals videos at home every night and they have certainly helped be get on the right track, but I plan to step up my workouts soon and really focus hard on toning and building strength. I may gain some weight back in the process but it's really not about the number to me.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get to 150lbs. I actually thought about this the other day..."what if I am not happy at 150lbs and keep wanting to lose more". I guess after some reflection, i really think that as long as I am 150lbs or lower, I am at least HEALTHY.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think this was one of the mental blocks that kept me from succeeding in the past - the unknown of what I'd look like, if I could accept loose skin, etc. As I've gotten older, I guess I've become more accepting that I'll never have the "perfect" body. Right now I don't have a goal weight. I plugged something into MFP to make it happy but I don't know if that obtainable or susteainable for me. I'm more focused on how I look in the mirror and what size clothing I'm able to wear. I want to be able to shop in the non-plus section and I want single digit clothing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It's normal. That's why when one reaches goal, they reassess and make new ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The goal weight I picked was just a number that I thought would be healthy but not too small. I am actually focused more on how my body looks and feels. I want a lower body fat percentage and I want my jiggly bits around my hips and upper thighs to go down more. My hips are not jiggly on the lower part like most people complain of, its more on my upper hips or love handle area. So I know the only way to lose it is more fat loss.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I fully expect my goal weight to be a bit of a mixed affair. Probably a week or so of being elated, buying clothes etc... then realising I'm now onto phase 2, whatever that will consist of. Learning how to live at maintenance calories, seeing what I want to work on next which would prob be fitness and muscle building. But mainly working on my self image issues, loving my body, realising how far I came, dealing with the fact that getting thinner didn't solve all my problems!!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I worry that no matter what I weigh, I will always see myself as the fat chunky girl!