How much do you walk?

Options
124»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I walk 28-30 miles a week. That's getting up at 5:45am for a 6:00am 2 mile walk with the dog and then another 2 mile walk in the evening. On the weekends, when I have a bit more time, I try to increase our walks to 3+ miles both morning & night.

Here's a related question - I walk at a pace of about 17:00 (that's to music about 132 beats per minute). So I calculate my steps as 17min per mile x 132beats/steps per min = 2,244 steps per mile x 4 miles per day = 8,986 walking/exercise steps per day. Am I figuring that correctly?
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found fitbit really helpful in motivating me to walk. If I don't go to the gym my sedentary job and life style makes up to 3000 steps only, but going to gym, I try to go over 12500. So far so good (around 7 miles a day)
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

they all strap a pedometer to themselves, and track every little bit of movement "oh, i walked to the dishwasher, burning more cals!"

While I am one of those people that strap a pedometer on myself and count every little step, I am also one of those people that only track in my exercises my planned walks. I walk 2.5miles most days on my lunch hour and 3-4.5 miles everyday after work. On the weekends I have been known to take 10 mile hikes.

I just make time for my walks and they aren't leisurely either. I am usually going 4.0mph-4.5mph; between my lunch time walk and my evening walk I usually log about 80-90 minutes of exercise.
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If its a 'walk to work' day, I'll get in 6-7 miles. If not.. barely 2-3.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 5 - 10 miles most days. I do take days off from walking but usually I'm doing something like P90X otherwise. I only take complete days off when I just feel too run down or if I'm sick. I have a harder time sticking with my calorie goals on days that I don't exercise at all (some mental disconnect or maybe exercise lessens my appetite?). Humans developed into walking machines, it's our most efficient form of movement so do whatever time and your body will allow.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

they all strap a pedometer to themselves, and track every little bit of movement "oh, i walked to the dishwasher, burning more cals!"

which is why i don't use mine, when i have it and it's working, all day. i literally only put that on for my walk to work, walk home from work and sometimes when i take my dog out if we're going to be going for a longer walk, but my cat knocked mine in a sink full of water so i don't even have it anymore. i honestly don't think that people took this as 'how far do you walk for exercise' as that wasn't erally how it was worded and simply answered with how far they walk a day, and no matter what at the end of the day you walked such adn such a distance and over the course of the day burned such and such calories. they aren't hurting anyone by wearing the pedometer and most of them aren't saying they did it in one goal. not to mention you can walk five miles in like...forty minutes or something it's not that hard to find that time in a day, unless you are a parent of course who doesn't have another parent at home who can watch the kdis, but even working an eight hour day that still gives you time to get up and get out of the house for a walk.
  • trevvian
    trevvian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My goal is 15,000 steps/day, which for me is about 6.5 miles. I find it helpful to get 2 miles over lunch & then, depending on my workout for the day, I go for another walk before bed to hit my steps goal.

I also count my walking as "incremental" to my workouts. It's recovery for my muscles, not a workout in itself. I lift 3x/week, pilates 1x/week & try to do a good 1 hour cardio workout on the weekend.
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    On my days off I try to get 4-6 miles a day (Sunday and Monday). I work Tues-Sat, but I walk during my lunch break. My goal is to get 2 miles in, which takes me about 32/36 minutes right now (the town I work in has lots of little hills to make sure I really feel it). If we can, my husband and I try to walk a couple miles in the evenings. Right now I'm probably averaging about 3 miles a day.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Someone asked how people walk so much:

I don't use a pedometer and don't count the walking I do during the day. I walk my property fence line 3-4 times in the morning and 3-4 times in the evening.

I get up at 4:30 for the first one and do another walk around 8-9 at night, sometimes walking in the dark. It's the only times of the day that I get to be alone and I crave my alone time.
  • torymichaels
    Options
    According to my FitBit One, I average between 4 & 7 miles walked a day. I also try to work in stairs, using the stairs in my house if nothing else.

To answer those who are saying we're counting each step, including to and from the dishwasher, etc., there is some truth to that. HOWEVER, in that mileage most days now is usually a 3.15 mile walk (GPS measured) and/or a 1.65 mile walk (GPS measured). I get up at 4 in the morning and am walking by 4:15 to get in the 3+ mile walk, and then in the evening a lot of days husband and I will take the girls' stroller and drag the boy along for the shorter walk.

So, for pure exercise's sake, between 3.1 & just under 5 miles a day, spending about 1.5 - 1.75 hours. Gets some family time and some peace & quiet time in together.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I log 4-10 miles everyday at a treadmill desk except when I have a day off. It's done in multiple stages through out the day. Adds up pretty quick, especially on cool days.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a " like" button on here- so many great responses!!!
    I also hope I can find the time ( and energy) to up my miles/time...I'm sorta slow.
    Example- today I walked 1.5 miles and it took me 24 minutes. I'd love to be faster!!!
  • daltem
    Options
    A treadmill desk sounds awesome!
  • daltem
    Options

I don't use a pedometer- I use the map my walk app, app on the iphone. I only turn it on when I go out to walk- not for hanging out around the house. But...that does have me wondering how much I actually walk around my house. Guess I couldn't count that as exercise though, huh? <sigh>
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I only track miles for walks I take. I don't track how much I walk to the car, down the hall or anything like that. During the work week, weather permitting I will walk at lunch, it's about a 1.8 mile walk.

I also run about 8-14 miles per week and I'll be increasing that as I start preparing for my first 1/2 marathon this fall.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't use a pedometer- I use the map my walk app, app on the iphone. I only turn it on when I go out to walk- not for hanging out around the house. But...that does have me wondering how much I actually walk around my house. Guess I couldn't count that as exercise though, huh? <sigh>

Cool, I hadn't heard of that app before. I am going to download it and give it a try...I walk a LOT and have always been curious about how many kilometers I do in a day.
  • JBankey
    JBankey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to walk every day and I try to do it fast. My goal is to walk at 13:30 minute miles and I do 3 to 4 per day and 6 on Saturdays
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't have a mileage goal. Calorie burns are tracked by the time you exercise anyway, not by the miles you go (sort of go together, but anyway). I walk incredibly slow. My fast walk would be most people's slow to moderate pace. Still it doesn't matter to me, cuz I figure I am getting a much better burn in the 1 1/2 - 2 hours I walk in the day, than I would if I was just sitting watching tv or being on the computer all day. So, I walk at least 2x a day, sometimes 3 and I am aiming for a total of 2 hours, but I would actually like to hit that 3 hour mark.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A treadmill desk sounds awesome!

I like it. I zero it out each morning. Check email, log on MFP, check news/weather, research & type notes, pay bills, etc. anything I would have sat to do before now gets done while walking. The miles can really add up by the end of the day.