Weight Watchers Defector

ScouseNerd
ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
Hello all!

I used WW last year to drop about 20lbs and naturally gained at least half of it back (yes that's right, I don't weight myself if I'm scared. Just based on clothing). Of course it doesn't seem like much compared to so many other goals, but I've struggled with this vast fluctuation for most of my life and when I'm even a bit overweight, I can feel it and I hate everything about myself. Additionally, my family has a history of weight problems and bad knees (worsened by the weight but either way, inevitable) so I'm always trying to keep myself in check to avoid any health complications later in life.

I hadn't realized how similar MFP was to Weight Watchers, so I'm glad to have found it. I always forget how restricting plans are though - I'll look at my calories available after lunch (like now) and always wonder how I'm going to do it!
For some more background, I completely admit I'm lazy. I work out because I have to, I love crap food, and I'm not someone who will ever change their diet to be completely unprocessed, vegetarian, gluten-free, low-carb, etc because while people will preach the world to me on why it's better... I don't care! My goal is to eat less, eat better, move more. Mainly because my job is quite sedentary - I work in advertising.

Thanks in advance to everyone for the support and advice I'll likely need! Can't wait to get to know some of you around the boards!

Replies

• abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    I'm a defector as well. It wasn't difficult to make the switch from WW to MFP and counting calories. Feel free to add me as a friend (although see in your profile you do not like many people). I log in every day and my diary is open. I enjoy eating!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I too am a defector and left about 8-ish months ago I’d venture to guess. I gained it all back and then some because I didn’t realize I wasn’t eating enough food. The starvation diet goes a long way at first which is why WW works, but then you destroy your metabolism in the end. I’m still in the process of repairing the damage I’ve done while trying to build muscle and stamina. Feel free to add me if you need friends… I like to comment and cheer on my MFP friends.
  • Count me in as a WW Defector! I find the food and exercise databases of MFP to far surpass that from WW Online.
    It's also a heck of a lot easier to track exercise and food. I started on May 1st and have lost 9 pounds. and don't feel deprived at all.

I have been pretty good about tracking daily -- but as I said -- its pretty easy, especially with the iphone app when I am away from home.

I heard about MFP from a professional colleague who I hadn't seen in a year. She looked fabulous and said if you can be self disciplined that this may be the app for you!
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Count me in as a WW Defector! I find the food and exercise databases of MFP to far surpass that from WW Online.
    It's also a heck of a lot easier to track exercise and food. I started on May 1st and have lost 9 pounds. and don't feel deprived at all.

I have been pretty good about tracking daily -- but as I said -- its pretty easy, especially with the iphone app when I am away from home.

I heard about MFP from a professional colleague who I hadn't seen in a year. She looked fabulous and said if you can be self disciplined that this may be the app for you!

9lbs in a month that is fantastic! Great job! It's easier because the database is so much bigger and no more guessing or calculating points in the frozen section of the shop.
  • hdawg412
    hdawg412 Posts: 10 Member
    I am so excited to get over the points! I may feel that way about calories shortly, but at least it is just food, and not a proprietary calculation. Ready to live, eat and track in a more healthy way, with less chemicals. I ate a lot of their approved foods for conveniece (just cheese sticks, yogurt, desserts) but the chemicals in them . ugh!

Good luck everyone, and congrats on 9 lbs in a month. Whoop!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    I used WW as well, I learned a lot while using it (particularly about portion control); however, after almost 4 months of using it I got the basic idea, as well as portion control, down pat so I didn't want to keep spending the $20 a month. In addition to that, counting points got really tedious and boring after a while.