Man in Business Suit - Flat Front or Pleated Pants?

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    So I'm a mid to late thirties professional in a somewhat conservative accounting firm. I just got put on a client that will require me to wear a professional business suit 3-4 days per week at the client. Acknowledging how much that is going to suck in the heat of the summer, I will still need to pick up 2-3 new suits. The big question - flat front or pleated pants?

I have a relatively athletic build while still trying to lose another 3-4 inches off my waist. The internet seems to have quite a bit of bias toward flat front, but when I look around the only people I really see wearing flat front are those in their 20's or those that are extremely lean/skinny (not muscular at all). What say you, MFP?

this is the internet, anti-popular will always be popular.

Oh, and Gig 'Em! C/o 2010 (don't add me though, I'm just here to act a fool. I'm actually embarassed by myself most days).
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    While I know a lot of guys prefer the flat front pants, I've also heard they're not all that comfortable when you have to sit all the time at the job. Will you suffer for fashion? lol

It all comes down to fit. A tailored suit will always be in style, because it's made for your body..

You can buy flat fronts that are generous in certain areas, whether back or front. And you have to be willing to hunt for the right fit at times. Tailored is great if you can afford it and have the right person for the job, but for the rest of us, searching for something that's right and off the rack is just part of life.

My favorite was trying on a pair of more euro style flat pants one day. Came out to look at the mirror in the hall of the dressing room, and the older lady attendant just shook her head no and said, "Honey, you look like you are carrying three sets of car keys. Go take those off."
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you will be going sans jacket occasionally, go with flat, or a single, discreet pleat.

If you'll have the jacket on the entire time, just do whatever is comfortable.

Flat is fashionable but pleats aren't out. I also think pleats look more profssional, as someone else mentioned. Honestly though, the quality and fit of the suit are what matter most.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    FLAT FRONT...don't even need to read. Just Flat Front. Flat. Front. Flat.

ok? got it? Flat.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The females certainly proved my point. Not one failed to mention comfort or how much better men look in wearing the particular style they advocated.

Business dress presents one's bona fides , it plays a vital part in making a favorable first impression; a ticket to enter if you will. We dress to impress the crowd we wish to find commonality & acceptance ....females or business...and as the subject of this thread is business dress, no girls allowed.

Reduced to bare basics, one dresses to convey a message. Stop and think, why wear a tie? The argument can be made that the tie is a silly, useless piece of cloth that doesnt serve a practical function, and it can be uncomfortable at times....but, the tie does serve a function, like the banner, the tie conveys that the wearer respects certain conventions. It signals respect for ones peers and states, "I respect you and your standards, I care what you think of me". Business dress illustrates an important asset; social grace.

How often do you hear a guy grouse, "Im not wearing a tie, that's stupid"? What he is actually saying is that he rejects convention and doesnt regard the people at the function to be worth the effort of a tie. Subliminally he is being offensive. He doenst want to be accepted by them. The absence of his tie declares that he is a rebel & when he shows up, there will be some who will harbor reservations, or even resentment as he lacks awareness. As earlier stated, proper dress for the function presents a means of credibility & respect. (NOTE: Businessmen, do not let your female buy your work ties because they will come back with matching pocket squares or even worse, talk you into wearing a bow tie!)

So the issues are; do you mister businessman want to gamble with your one chance to make a favorable first impression, or do you need to pioneer the cutting edge of fashion, or do you need to convey that you are prudent & not one to make changes in business norms? Successful business is about stability.

Business is a good ole boys club, and if you heed the codes you can join.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I worked for conservative businesses in Manhattan most of our careers, and we wore conservative suits. He wore suits and shirts (french cuff) made in Manhattan, and the suit trousers had a flat front, no pleats. He had his shoes polished weekly, and he always wore toe cap tie shoes. Always carried a briefcase, never a nap sack.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Flat front. Though I will say I like pleated due to my junk not being obvious. Have to wear stupid underwear to keep stuff in check. For style though, flat front. Pleated you can get away with if you are older. Since you are my age, I'd recommend going for the flat front.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    With a dress suit I like a few pleats.

Casual suit, don't care either way.

I don't really like the look of the flat front personally.

What he said... ^

Besides, I am under the impression that flat front is a fad...trendy. If it is a trendy office, you will see more flat front styles. If a more conservative location (and conservative can be hip), you will see a mix.

Also, if the pleats are not tailored properly, they give that poofy or stretched look. Flat front can be just as damaging if not tailored properly. My recommendation...go to Men's Warehouse (or another men's clothier) and try a few on. I swear by that place to get the proper fit.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I had to look up the difference...

HansenJessica-PleatedvsFlatFront.jpg

I like pleats. I think they look more expensive, professional. The flat fronts look like like you should be in a boy band.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    The females certainly proved my point. Not one failed to mention comfort or how much better men look in wearing the particular style they advocated.

Business dress presents one's bona fides , it plays a vital part in making a favorable first impression; a ticket to enter if you will. We dress to impress the crowd we wish to find commonality & acceptance ....females or business...and as the subject of this thread is business dress, no girls allowed.

Reduced to bare basics, one dresses to convey a message. Stop and think, why wear a tie? The argument can be made that the tie is a silly, useless piece of cloth that doesnt serve a practical function, and it can be uncomfortable at times....but, the tie does serve a function, like the banner, the tie conveys that the wearer respects certain conventions. It signals respect for ones peers and states, "I respect you and your standards, I care what you think of me". Business dress illustrates an important asset; social grace.

How often do you hear a guy grouse, "Im not wearing a tie, that's stupid"? What he is actually saying is that he rejects convention and doesnt regard the people at the function to be worth the effort of a tie. Subliminally he is being offensive. He doenst want to be accepted by them. The absence of his tie declares that he is a rebel & when he shows up, there will be some who will harbor reservations, or even resentment as he lacks awareness. As earlier stated, proper dress for the function presents a means of credibility & respect. (NOTE: Businessmen, do not let your female buy your work ties because they will come back with matching pocket squares or even worse, talk you into wearing a bow tie!)

So the issues are; do you mister businessman want to gamble with your one chance to make a favorable first impression, or do you need to pioneer the cutting edge of fashion, or do you need to convey that you are prudent & not one to make changes in business norms? Successful business is about stability.

This is painful to read. *Wonderful* quotes such as :..".females or business...and as the subject of this thread is business dress, no girls allowed." "NOTE: Businessmen, do not let your female buy your work ties because they will come back with matching pocket squares or even worse, talk you into wearing a bow tie!)"

And I love how you ended it with "Business is a good ole boys club, and if you heed the codes you can join." :huh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm no fashion aficionado, but I believe pleats are pretty dated. I haven't worn them in awhile.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Friends don't let friends wear pleats
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Flat front
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new job!!!

pleats. no cuffs unless you're tall and you have long legs.

Oh, and spend the money to buy a good suit with an extra pair of slacks. Go to Men's Warehouse or, if you can afford it, Brooks Brothers. Take care of a Brooks Brothers suit and it'll last literally forever.

Don't go nuts with the shirt color. keep it classic--white, or light blue are good choices. And good silk ties. You can find them at Goodwill, if necessary. Expand this as you get the corporate lay of the land.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

This is painful to read. *Wonderful* quotes such as :..".females or business...and as the subject of this thread is business dress, no girls allowed." "NOTE: Businessmen, do not let your female buy your work ties because they will come back with matching pocket squares or even worse, talk you into wearing a bow tie!)"

And I love how you ended it with "Business is a good ole boys club, and if you heed the codes you can join." :huh:

Wonderful. You show promise, faintly, but that can be developed.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    From someone who wore suits 5 days a week, I would have a few of both. Just make sure you are fitted by a professional tailor.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Are you an Aggie grad? Don't know about Texas, but no jewelry (exception: wedding band, medical id)-- like college ring knocker jewelry, earrings, bracelets. No weird Masonic handshakes or rings.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    While I know a lot of guys prefer the flat front pants, I've also heard they're not all that comfortable when you have to sit all the time at the job. Will you suffer for fashion? lol

It all comes down to fit. A tailored suit will always be in style, because it's made for your body..

I have a desk job and wear flat-fronts every day.

I had never thought about it... and then one of my co-irkers (who was a very short guy) told me that his sister told him NEVER to wear pleats because they make you look shorter.

By Jove, she's right!

All the Germans in my office building (China Headquarters for BMW) wear flat-front skinny-leg suits. They look good. But by God, you will never catch me wrapping one of their silly scarves around my neck, or wearing those pointy-tipped shoes that look about 12 sizes too big. Silly Germans.

No pleats. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • Prplhead
    Prplhead Posts: 82
    Options
    Pleated suit pants have been standard for a while, though some suit manufacturers do make flat front pants. For khakis and odd pants, pants not part of a suit, flat front pants are preferred. Only two reasons why you would go with pleated pants for other than a suit: you are overweight; you are well-endowed. Avoid at all costs pleated front khakis. It is a 90's look and it is a dad pants look.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Please please please flat - the only people that wear pleats are senior citizens