Calorie deficit but no pounds lost?

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For starters if that is your deficit, that is too large unless you have 150ish lbs to lose.

That said, do you know that is your deficit? Are you weighing all solids that you eat, and measuring all liquids? If not you are probably taking in way more calories than you think you are. If you are doing all that and no losing I suggest having your thyroid tested.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    With your job I would just quit the exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Sounds like a lot of people have had the same issue and I thank you for sharing that and what you did to fix it. I had suspected it was probably too few calories. Maybe there is something to this "starvation mode" thing. Probably have to suck it up and eat more calories.

Metabolic slowdown is a more accurate term. Your body's metabolism slows down to match the fuel you are giving it. You create stress on your body when you diet and exercise. Stress releases the hormone cortisol. Cortisol makes your body hold on to your fat stores.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Metabolic slowdown is a more accurate term. Your body's metabolism slows down to match the fuel you are giving it.

Doesn't happen when measured credibly. There is a slowdown worth about a candy bar, but it doesn't match your intake.

If metabolism matched intake we would never get fat.
  • aimeekrn
    aimeekrn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are all great. Going to try them all, even getting thyroid checked - I have that done every year anyway.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Your probably eating more than you think and burning less than you think.....and 1 lb a week is not nothing.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3". I weigh 120 pounds. If I eat 1200 calories I'm only going to get around .5lb weight loss.