Chicken Nuggets/Fingers

Options
Does anyone have any recipes for a low cal chicken nuggets? Looking for a semi-healthy alternative for to bake at home.

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What I do is I use almond flour and panko as my breading (just mix equal amounts), use egg for the dredge but sometimes I use greek yogurt for the dredge instead. I'll add some spices like paprika or garlic salt or whatever type of seasoning into both the breadcrumbs and the dredge. After I dredge the chicken, I coat it with the almond flour/panko mixture, and put it onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. I'll spray the parchment with some grapeseed oil first. After they are all down, I'll spray the tops with some grapeseed oil as well (helps it get brown and crispy). I have a mister that I use to spray the grapeseed oil down.

That's my recipe... They turn out pretty good - crispy.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Bump
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with grapeseed oil. I wonder if olive oil would work as well?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just bread them like you normally would, but bake them instead of frying.
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Panko as breading works very well. Bake about 450-475 degrees!
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I read that Hungry Girl makes some with bran flakes and spices!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do mini chicken breast fillets dipped in fat free yoghurt, then polenta, then a sprinkle of Parmesan. Fry in a little olive oil. 120 calories per mini fillet (about 70g of chicken).
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets (skinnytaste.com)
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th of nuggets • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 164.9 • Fat: 4.6 g • Protein: 22.1 g • Carb: 7.7 g • Fiber: 0.9 g • Sugar: 0.1 g

Ingredients:

16 oz (2 large) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bit sized pieces
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tsp olive oil
    6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp panko
    2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    olive oil spray (I used my Misto)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil and mix well so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken. Put a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top with olive oil spray then bake 8 - 10 minutes. Turn over then cook another 4 - 5 minutes or until cooked though.

These come out great and my kids/husband love them! I actually cube up the chicken breast ahead of time & freeze to save time.
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    These are yummy - I make them all the time. And healthy with bran, wheat germ and flaxseed in the breading.

http://www.marthastewart.com/339749/baked-chicken-fingers
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with grapeseed oil. I wonder if olive oil would work as well?

Olive oil can be used. The difference is that olive oil will impart some flavor into your food whereas the grapeseed oil will not. It's more about personal taste.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love these. They are from Hungry Girl which you should totally check-out. www.hungrygirl.com
    Planet Hungrywood Sweet & Cap'n Crunchy Chicken

PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe): 234 calories, 2g fat, 617mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 10g sugars, 29g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Check out our surreal, cereal-coated chicken recipe -- inspired by the classic version that Planet Hollywood serves up. It's GOOOOOD!

Ingredients:
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast tenders
    1/2 cup Cap'n Crunch cereal (original)
    1/4 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
    3 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    2 tbsp. Best Foods/Hellmann's Dijonnaise
    2 tbsp. honey mustard (actual mustard, not dressing)
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    dash salt
    dash black pepper

Directions:
    Place Fiber One in a blender or food processor, and grind to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Set aside.

Put Cap'n Crunch in a sealable plastic bag and seal. Using a rolling pin or a can, coarsely crush cereal through the bag. In a wide bowl, combine Fiber One crumbs, crushed Cap'n Crunch, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.

Place chicken tenders in a separate medium bowl. Cover chicken with egg substitute, and flip chicken to coat. Shake off any excess egg substitute, and then coat chicken in the cereal mixture.

Bring a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Place coated chicken pieces gently into the pan, spacing them out as much as possible. Cook for 5 minutes, and then carefully flip pieces over. Cook for about 4 additional minutes, until chicken is cooked through.

Combine the Dijonnaise and honey mustard in a small dish, and mix well for a tasty dipping sauce. Enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Haven't tried these, but they are more like nuggets

Ingredients:
    6 oz. Tyson (or another brand**) Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (raw); cut lengthwise into 5 strips
    1/2 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters Original
    1/4 tsp. Lawry's Garlic Salt
    pepper (to taste)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add Garlic Salt and pepper to crumbs. Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Next, coat raw chicken strips with egg substitute and then with crumb mixture. Place strips on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Spray a light mist of nonstick spray on top of strips and place in oven. Cook for 10 minutes, and then turn strips over. Add another light mist of nonstick spray and cook for an additional 8 - 10 minutes (until chicken is fully cooked and Fiber One looks crispy). Enjoy! Serves 1.

Serving Size: 5 pieces (entire recipe)
    Calories: 240
    Fat: 3.25g
    Sodium: 805mg
    Carbs: 26g
    Fiber: 14g
    Sugars: 0.5g
    Protein: 42.5g
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I soak my chicken in buttermilk for about 30 minutes. Shake the excess liquid off and coat with panko (either roll or shake in a bag). Bake at 425 for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of pieces) turning half way through. Moist chicken inside - crunchy outside.
  • TraciRazz
    TraciRazz Posts: 12
    Options
    I use Italian style whole wheat bread crumbs and dredge in a little bit of egg white and almond milk. Season the chicken before the dredge and also season the bread crumbs with a little garlic powder, sea salt,and pepper. Bake orpan fry in a good non-stick pan with no oil.
  • barbaraprattgardner
    Options
    bump
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    you are a fan of those crisp, juicy chicken nugget tenders from fast food joints, you've probably also heart how poorly they treat your waistline. A serving a fast food chicken nuggets easily packs around three hundred calories and is loaded with nearly twenty grams of fat. This doesn't even include any of the sauces that you may want to dip your nuggets in.

This recipe for low calorie baked chicken nuggets uses lean chicken breast, a spicy crushed cornflake coating, and a very hot oven to make delicious baked chicken nuggets that are moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. For a truly enjoyable splurge, serve these tasty chicken nuggets with delicious barbeque dipping sauce, which recipe follows.

Ingredients:
    •1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
    •1 1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed fine
    •2 eggs
    •2 tsp ground chili powder
    •1/2 tsp garlic powder
    •1/2 tsp paprika
    •1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    •1/4 tsp salt
    •For the barbeque dipping sauce:
    •1/3 cup catsup
    •1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
    •2 tsp worcestershire sauce
    •1/4 tsp garlic powder
    •1/4 tsp dried mustard

Preparation:

1. First, preheat the oven to 425°F.

2. In a shallow dish, combine the crushed cornflakes, the chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. This will be the bread coating for the chicken nuggets. In a separate shallow dish, add the eggs, and with a fork gently beat the eggs. Season the chicken pieces by sprinkling the salt and pepper evenly over the chicken pieces.

3. Next, set up an assembly line to prepare the chicken nuggets. At the beginning of the line, place the chicken pieces. Then place the beaten eggs, and then the cornflake mixture. Coat a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, and place the baking sheet at the end of the assembly line. Begin with the first chicken piece. Dip the chicken piece in the beaten egg and be sure to coat the entire piece of chicken. Then, dredge the chicken in the cornflake mixture, turning with your fingers or a fork to coat the entire chicken piece. Place the chicken piece on the baking sheet, and continue with the remaining chicken pieces. Be sure not to overcrowd the baking sheet. Doing so will cause the nuggets to come out soggy instead of crispy.

4. Bake the chicken nuggets for 15 minutes, then flip them over with a spatula, and continue cooking an additional 10 minutes until the chicken nuggets are crisp and there is no longer any pink in the center of the chicken. Once done, remove the chicken tenders from the baking sheet, and serve immediately, or place on a cooling rack so that the bottom of the chicken tenders do not become soggy.

5. Prepare the barbeque dipping sauce. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the catsup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and dried mustard. Mix well until the brown sugar is disolved, and no lumps remain. Serve the chicken nuggets with a bit of the barbeque dipping sauce.

Serves 6

Per Serving Calories 209, Fat 7gm, Pro 24 gm, Carbs 11 gm

User Reviews
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    The secret to these chicken nuggets is that they're baked, not fried. Crispy on the outside yet succulent on the inside, these white meat chicken nuggets make a healthy fast-food alternative. Serve with ketchup, barbecue sauce or a fat free ranch dressing. Or simply combine a 1/4 cup of honey and a 1/4 cup of mustard for your very own honey-mustard sauce.

Ingredients:
    •1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    •1/4 cup flour
    •1/4 tsp paprika
    •1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    •1 egg white
    •1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
    •1 cup cornflakes, crushed

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
    Prepare three bowls: one with flour and seasonings, one with egg and buttermilk stirred together, and one with crushed cornflakes.

Cut chicken breasts into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces. Empty chicken pieces into bowl and roll in flour mixture. Then, piece by piece, and shaking off excess flour, dip the chicken into the milk mixture, then coat the pieces with cornflakes.

Place chicken on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until golden, turning them half way through.

Serves 4.

Per Serving: Calories 182, Calories from Fat 15, Total Fat 1.6g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 178mg, Carbohydrate 12.9g, Fiber 0.4g, Protein 28.9g
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so apologies if I duplicate a recipe.

I marinate in buttermilk and garlic salt for a few hours, then dredge in quinoa flakes. Spray a baking sheet with some olive oil, place the chicken on it, and also spray the dredged chicken with a light coating of olive oil. Bake at 200C for 40 minutes for whole thighs with the bone in. For chicken nuggets made out of breasts, I would think 20-30 minutes would do.

The result is very crunchy, and takes care of my KFC cravings.
  • smo_bun
    smo_bun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This isn't the MOST healthy way to do it, but I think its better than eating nuggets at a restaurant. Plus, its easy and cheap cheap cheap.

-Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast (you can also use tofu)
    - Corn Starch
    - Lemon Pepper
    - Fresh Cracked Pepper
    - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix Corn Starch and spices in a bowl. Cut chicken to preference. Put enough olive oil to coat pan.
    Fry till done. I tend to cut in smaller bits and have 3 or 4 pieces for a snack. Super filling and satisfying. And with amounts of veg it can be a good lunch!