Ketegonic diet

Options
hello i would like if you could explain me what this diet is? (if it's healthy or not)
i have heard that it's a low carb diet so how many carbs i am allowed to eat and we carb i can eat and which no?
also how can i get into ketosis
if i get off this diet after a month and start eating carbs will i gain fat back?
will i lose fat or weight?\
how long will it take to lose 5 kg? (Normal weight)
do you think is a good fat burning diet and if not do you know any other diet or tip to follow in order to burn fat?
(i know lots of question;p
anyway thanks in advance)

Replies

• annamika510
    annamika510 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have those same questions. Some of my male friends are on it and so far it's worked great for them. I know that it is meat heavy (yay bacon) and foods that are high in fat. I don't know much more then that cause they won't really explain it to me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hello i would like if you could explain me what this diet is? (if it's healthy or not)
    i have heard that it's a low carb diet so how many carbs i am allowed to eat and we carb i can eat and which no?
    also how can i get into ketosis
    if i get off this diet after a month and start eating carbs will i gain fat back?
    will i lose fat or weight?\
    how long will it take to lose 5 kg? (Normal weight)
    do you think is a good fat burning diet and if not do you know any other diet or tip to follow in order to burn fat?
    (i know lots of question;p
    anyway thanks in advance)

Probably less than 50g of carbs, depends where you are and how it's labelled. High fat, modest protein, low carb.

Ketosis is what happens when you eat less carbs that your body would ordinarily use as glucose. If you eat enough fats and oils, say >60% of your calories, you're highly likely to get there.

Low carb diets involve a loss of water weight (and sodium) that might be a couple of kg. If you go back to eating high carb that 2kg will be re-gained, it's mainly water and glucose (actually glycogen).

Fat you lose will not be regained automatically unless you start to eat at a calorie surplus.

10 weeks is a sensible time to lose 5 kg.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Here is some basic information on it, and how to configure MFP for it, http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic diet is what Atkin's is, basically. You eat only protein and fat, no (or very low) carbs. I don't think it is necessarily dangerous unless you are diabetic. Lot of people have lost weight doing this, but it isn't a very sustainable diet. You are probably better off getting all your macros and regulating calories overall.
  • polandtyler
    Options
    It's more than just high-protein/low carbohydrate.
    The basic gist of it: Ketones are created and used by your body as energy in place of protein and fats. When you rid yourself of those, your body will begin to burn off other sources of energy (fat stores, proteins, etc).

If you're trying to build muscle while losing weight/burning fat, I really wouldn't recommend it - as it may induce a state of catabolism rather than raising your anabolic rate. If you're going strictly for weight loss, then try it out.

Sidenote: Any change in eating habits that requires you to eat entirely one way should be suspect. Balance is key to successful, long-term effects.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

It's not hocus pocus, it's a well-established and researched dietary approach that's been around since the 1920's, originally designed to treat epileptic children. They soon discovered it controlled blood glucose levels.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had a lady at work do this (doctor supervised) and lost 100 pound but she was probably around 300+ to start out with. She looks great but it is very limiting.
  • sh0emann
    sh0emann Posts: 46
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

It has a ton of info on the ketogenic diet.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I had a lady at work do this (doctor supervised) and lost 100 pound but she was probably around 300+ to start out with. She looks great but it is very limiting.

Be careful of those. I did one for a SHORT time. 500-800 cals a day, vitamin injections, appetite suppressants... Not healthy at all.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options
    It should be added that the reason the ketogenic diet works is that it creates a caloric deficit. Nothing really too magical about it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

It's not hocus pocus, it's a well-established and researched dietary approach that's been around since the 1920's, originally designed to treat epileptic children. They soon discovered it controlled blood glucose levels.

Were is your study on it? I just posted a link to a review about a study. I call shenanagens. Maybe its great for epileptic children,.
  • smokeysgirl07
    Options
    A very thorough (yet manageable) overview of Keto can be found at the subreddit r/keto:

Please do plenty of research before making the decision to start a ketogenic diet. You can expect surprising weight loss in the beginning due to water weight and then steady weight loss with minimal plateaus. Keto is primarily followed for weight loss and many people transition from keto into modified-keto or paleo 2.0 diets to maintain weight loss with greater dietary freedom.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm not very far into my keto diet (2 weeks) but I could certainly help you with meal ideas and what-to-avoid.
  • smokeysgirl07
    Options

It has a ton of info on the ketogenic diet.

Blast! Beat me to it!
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You should read "The South Beach Diet" Book, also I'm currently doing the Dukan Diet by Dr. Dukan. You won't get all the facts unless you read the books about the research behind these diets.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic diet is what Atkin's is, basically. You eat only protein and fat, no (or very low) carbs. I don't think it is necessarily dangerous unless you are diabetic. Lot of people have lost weight doing this, but it isn't a very sustainable diet. You are probably better off getting all your macros and regulating calories overall.

Actually, it's just the opposite if you are diabetic. Those with metabolic disorders benefit greatly from a ketogenic diet. My endocrinologist highly recommends a LCHF approach.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

Were is your study on it? I just posted a link to a review about a study. I call shenanagens. Maybe its great for epileptic children,.

Heh, better watch out, the Keto Police are all over this board.

Granted, I initially had SOME misconceptions about keto, but after studying it out I've come to the conclusion that it's basically a modified version of Atkins (albeit with uncanny staying power...it's been around, in one form or another, since the 20's).

I think there are some generally good reasons for people with certain conditions to go on a keto diet, however I don't think it's necessary for the average Joe.

This is a good resource: http://www.dietscam.org/basic/myths.shtml
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

No shenanigans. Epilepsy, diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and a whole host of metabolic disorders.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The difference between keto and any other low-carb diet is that you have to be on keto (read as: in ketosis) for weeks for it to actually be doing anything.

You can't just be on keto "sometimes". You either commit to it for the long haul, which is probably 4 weeks at a minimum to evaluate it, or don't waste your time.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Options

Actually, it's just the opposite if you are diabetic. Those with metabolic disorders benefit greatly from a ketogenic diet. My endocrinologist highly recommends a LCHF approach.

What I was referring to was the risk of ketoacidosis. I don't doubt there could be benefits to a lower carb approach, but being in ketosis and not having enough insulin to go around can be a big problem. That would be something to ask your doctor about, especially if you are type 1.