Anyone else hate the gym?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to MFP, and I'm trying to use the calorie counter regularly as I find it helps keep me on tract from over-eating. I know though, with the amount of weight I'm hoping to lose, that eating 'okay' isn't enough. I know that you have to do both diet and exercise. The only catch is: I hate the gym! I've joined one recently and go sort of on-and-off and really don't like it even a little bit. My friend is a cardio-junkie and tells me all the time how much she craves/loves the gym. I'm sure she gets that 'runners-high' but I feel like my body doesn't want to give me any endorphins for my effort. I was told to try going for a long period of time and I have gone upwards of an hour and I still didn't stop having a hate on for the machines. Any tips on how to get started there so that I don't get discouraged? How do you work up to liking the gym?

Thanks and good luck everyone with their own regimes!

Replies

• countrymama08
    Options
    I don't like the gym. I feel really self conscious there. I have been going but I don't like driving to the gym and all that it takes. We did join one recently for the pool. My daughter loves the pool so we joined. Since we joined I am scheduling it in and going. I would say start slow. I know I just started and an hour on any machine would make me nuts.

I used videos at home on a previous WL journey. Walk away the pounds is a great one. I have trouble doing those now since my 2 year old wants to help and gets underfoot. I wound up holding her one day while I did it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    You simply keep going and make it a habit and think of all the healthy reasons you're going. That's what we all do at first and then you begin to crave going. I've read of a few ppl that hate it and I'm not sure I understand what that means. My body loves to move, I love to sweat and know I'm doing good things for my body. It sure didn't happen on the first day, or the first month, I barely made it through the gym tour. bwwwwhaha Well it's true, it was 3 stories and wow, I nearly died. But I kept going and got to know the great staff, met so many friends and my body changed, my mind changed, my life changed. Dang, what's not to love :):)

I've changed gyms since then and only recently, not afraid to workout but a bit sad to leave the old one and have to get to know my way around this new one but I know I can and I know I will, it's just that important to me to continue to get and stay healthy.

All the best to you, keep putting one foot in front of the other, push yourself until it becomes a habit. Doesn't mean I love waking up at 4am every single day but when I get there, I NEVER EVER regret being there.

Try hard not to compare experiences with your friend, you sound like you're in very different places on this path. You path will be your path, hers will be hers:drinker: Find classes etc. that YOU enjoy, if you don't like a particular machine, try another etc.

Glad you're here:flowerforyou:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the gym but can't afford one (law school) but I HATE running. Except I want to get into the FBI. So I'm currently doing a workout plan that includes running 3-5 days a week.

And I do it by telling myself that I'm privileged to run. I'm "so lucky!" that I get to run another half mile. And guess what, if I do it right, my body actually believes me. And it gets somewhere between bearable and pleasant!

Maybe reverse psychology? Maybe a different way to work out. Maybe a new gym. But don't give up yet!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym, but I do get bored easily. So I try to mix it up by walking in my neighborhood, hiking on the weekends, swimming, doing fitness videos at home (love the 30 day shred!) and getting on my bike!

For a fitness program to be maintained, you have to enjoy doing it. Find something that gets you sweating that you enjoy--you'll be much happier!
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about people that claim they love torturing themselves, lol. Honestly, I absolutely hate going to the gym, always have. I wish, someday maybe, I can say I love going. I go to get out as quickly as possible.
    The thing that keeps me motivated is, I hung a picture in my closet of the "fat me", so when I'm getting dressed and asking myself why I keep doing this...I'll remember how bad it sucked to feel like *kitten* everyday, developed sleep apnea, can't find nice clothes that fit and here's one we've all heard; running into old friends and the first thing they say is, "Wow, you've put on some weight!". That's what keeps me going to the gym, even when I hate it.

Sorry I couldn't give a more positive answer, but in a nutshell, even though the hard work part sucks, the results part is worth it in the end.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pretty much seconding HealthyChanges post. I am in the gym about 6 days a week for lifting and cardio, and I first I didn't like it because I was very self-conscious about it and hated Cardion with a passion. I kept pushing myself to go though and suck it up, and then eventually I began to enjoy it. What worked for me with regards to Cardio was to ignore what anyone else was around me doing. Like HealthyChanges said, don't compare yourself to your friend as she is further along in this process than you. Instead push yourself for a set time of cardio like 20 or 30min. The next time you go try to do a little bit more on the intensity side. I am a firm believer in quality over quantity. So lets say you do an elliptical machine for 30min. and you do 2miles. The next time you go try for 2.05 miles then try for 2.10 and so on. This way you are constantly challenging yourself to improve.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go to the gym with your cardio-junkie friend and the gym-lovingness will rub off on you! :o) haha
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Sorry I couldn't give a more positive answer, but in a nutshell, even though the hard work part sucks, the results part is worth it in the end.
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: No truer words were spoken!!! Because it's worth!:wink:
  • DutchTrt50
    Options
    I also hate the gym. I have chronic lower back pain and for me, it hurts to move. I've tried to keep going and it doesn't matter how many days/weeks I've gone. My muscles still hurt and can't seem to rid themselves of the lactic acid build up. I hate to hurt and I hate to sweat! My Dr. says swimming is a very good exercise for me. I'm terribly self-conscious in a swimsuit. I am a nurse but my lower back pain has caused me to leave my profession.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Molly, looked at the weight you're looking to drop, as you lose weight, time at the gym changes as well, you see yourself able to do more with ease and you can look back and realize how far you're come. If you can only do 3 minutes on a machine today, then do that! Each time you go add another minute to your time, consistancy is how it worked for me when I was looking to lose close to what you're looking to lose now. Not everyone can jump on a machine and start out at 20 minutes, I sure couldn't. Do the best you can and maybe even try to visualize postive thoughts about the gym instead of thinking 'omg I hate this' our thought are powerful!

Good Luck:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I also hate the gym. I have chronic lower back pain and for me, it hurts to move. I've tried to keep going and it doesn't matter how many days/weeks I've gone. My muscles still hurt and can't seem to rid themselves of the lactic acid build up. I hate to hurt and I hate to sweat! My Dr. says swimming is a very good exercise for me. I'm terribly self-conscious in a swimsuit. I am a nurse but my lower back pain has caused me to leave my profession.
    The pool would be PERFECT for you, not sure what type of gym/center you go to or are looking to go to. You might even be able to start out in a therapy pool where there is ppl in all shapes sizes and ages. The warm water is incredible for all sorts of pain etc. I did PT for my back after my surgery and it was amazing. Where I used to go they had 2 pools so then after awhile I worded my way up to jogging in the lap pool.

I understand the swimsuit feeling, I weighed over 300+ lbs when I started out in 2007 but I knew I needed to start getting fit and I wanted it bad, and I was tired of the knee pain which comes with the extra weight. SO I did it! I ordered a suit from Junonia.com (chloro band is best) and got some water shoes (good to have!) and began to take a few low impact classes (even those were hard work for me since I'd not been working out for sometime) and began staying after to simply walk, which then moved into a jog, sometimes I stayed for hours jogging.

The freedom of the movement gave me such calmness & peace, I saw ppl in the pool and the entire gym at varying fitness levels, the most helpful thing I can offer is, please don't compare. It's not fair to you, and it's no reason to not take care of your health, emotional and physical.

GO GO GO to the pool:wink: , you will look back to this day and wish you'd gone sooner, I promise, the pool is so good for low impact because of how the water works with your body.

Of course others can make it high impact too, which is what I do now, so it's got great purpose for anyone!:flowerforyou:
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options

GO GO GO to the pool, you will look back to this day and wish you'd gone sooner, I promise, the pool is so good for low impact because of how the water works with your body. Of course you can make it high impact too, which is what I do now, so it's got great purpose for anyone!:flowerforyou:

how do you make swimming high impact?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

GO GO GO to the pool, you will look back to this day and wish you'd gone sooner, I promise, the pool is so good for low impact because of how the water works with your body. Of course you can make it high impact too, which is what I do now, so it's got great purpose for anyone!:flowerforyou:

how do you make swimming high impact?
    Find a kick *kitten* instructer and get and keep your heart rate up and take a class that she has you do jumps and scissor kicks out of the water, pushups, pilates moves, lots of great classes are offered in the water. Deep water workouts where you are suspended are high impact. I wanna go back to the pool now:sad: :tongue:
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to MFP, and I'm trying to use the calorie counter regularly as I find it helps keep me on tract from over-eating. I know though, with the amount of weight I'm hoping to lose, that eating 'okay' isn't enough. I know that you have to do both diet and exercise. The only catch is: I hate the gym! I've joined one recently and go sort of on-and-off and really don't like it even a little bit. My friend is a cardio-junkie and tells me all the time how much she craves/loves the gym. I'm sure she gets that 'runners-high' but I feel like my body doesn't want to give me any endorphins for my effort. I was told to try going for a long period of time and I have gone upwards of an hour and I still didn't stop having a hate on for the machines. Any tips on how to get started there so that I don't get discouraged? How do you work up to liking the gym?

Hi and welcome to the site..
    You don't have to be part of a gym to do exercise.. You can go for hikes/walks/run, you can cycle, you can swim, you can do yoga & use your own body weight to do a variety of exercises (such as push ups, dips, squats, lunges, ab workouts, etc..), you can just put on your favorite music and dance to it, clean the house..
    find what works for you and do it as you will stick to it in the long run..
    to your health
    Dounia
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym. I've tried, but I hate it. The key is to find something that you enjoy doing, that's the only way you are going to stick with it. I did a boot camp for 6 months, and it was OK but was producing the wrong results. I finally found a Jazzercise class that I love and I go 4x a week. I also have a Y membership and I go swimming.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

I hated the gym because I didn't like getting red in the face and sweaty in frount of people. So I saved up the money for a treadmill at home. About the back pain. I was steadily going down the same road of losing my career as a dental assistant because of my back condition. I have degenerative disc disease, and I am also in my mid-thirtys. I have seen the back surgeon, and gone through the options. My personal choice was to lose the extra 50 pounds I carry, and to strengthen my core muscles. I do pilates, and I work through the pain on the treadmill. I also enjoy the wii fit exercises. I have so far lost 20 pounds. My back pain is still there but I have made progress. I can even run now. (only on a treadmill and with good runners) I can feel my core muscles and they keep my posture in line. Please don't give up, it is frusterating to make progress, then end up doing bed-rest for 2 weeks then start over, I had two months of this year where I could barely walk, but I lost weight during those month through careful diet, then started over. I know what it take to do this. Strong determination, persisitance and the decision not to be a victom. Keep at it.
  • Babain
    Babain Posts: 3
    Options
    yes
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When I started working out I hated cardio, but loved lifting. I then found a spin class. I now do a lot more cardio, not only because I want to finish losing the weight, but now I am good at that too. Check out the group classes and find one you like. Also remember, you are not the only one there getting sweaty and no one is actually paying attention to you as they are busy with their own workouts.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I have found that 80% of weight loss is Nutrition anyway. If you don't like the gym, don't go. Instead focus on finding good stuff to eat. That is a hobby in and of itself.

There are a million ways to excersise at home, outside and around your home. My wife has lost 40 lbs with nutrition, mostly walking, and the occaisional Wii Fit game.

However, If you're in a committed gym contract you'll have to make the best out of it.

And I'm a person who enjoys running, sweating, getting a red face, and in general challenging myself. We're thinking about joining a Y later this fall when it gets colder. Mostly for the pool, and classes....and the rock climbing wall, I really want access to that rock climbing wall.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I hope that I can get into a routine and learn to like the exercise and focus on my nutrition as well. You are all very supportive and I appreciate all of your responses.

:o)