Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Morning Vs Evening workouts/ Before or after work workouts?

I workout afterwork/evenings as I worry about being tired. I could fit so much more in though if I worked out in the mornings.

What does everyone else prefer? Any tips for the morning workouts?

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Morning preferably. Like to keep my evenings for the fam. Plus it seems if I exercise in the evening I get too pumped and cannot fall asleep.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    I wrkout in the evenings on work days and in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday. I prefer the evening workouts. I seem to workout harder even after working all day.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    I work nights 7p - 7a. I get up and go before because by 7 am I'm exhausted. I just go on a completely empty stomach
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    I would like to keep my evenings free - i just worry I will fall asleep at my desk lol
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    I workout whenever I can fit it into my schedule. Usually that is either on my lunch break, after work, or on the weekends.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Evenings. I tried working out mornings (before eating) and I lacked the same energy as evenings (even though it would be 4 hours after eating lunch)
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    On the weekend I try and get in a workout in the morning, or early afternoon.
    During the week though, is a different story. I walk to and from work, so really I do morning and evening. Some days I don't walk, then I will workout in the evening.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I wrkout in the evenings on work days and in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday. I prefer the evening workouts. I seem to workout harder even after working all day.

This is what I do too. I will do the occassional workout before going to work, but when I have to get up that early I feel sluggish and I don't feel like I get as much out of it. I am not a morning person.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    i workout at night because i HATE getting up early & also this is when everyone is asleep & i won't be bothered lol.. also for me it helps me sleep : )
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    luckily i have a very steady schedule that only every so often gets changed to a later hour (usually 7-5 , 1 hour lunch unpaid, and 1 hour of optional OT)

i had worked out at home but found it too easy to say, eh ill lift tonight. tonight comes, eh ill workout tomorrow. so i joined the local gym and it only opens at 5:30am

so to get in my regular workout time i would have to change my work hours from 8-6, and while thats doable i would rather leave work earlier and workout later than workout earlier and leave work later

i may ask my boss about doing alt times m-w-f and do my lifting then, then keep T-th as my cardio only days (do cardio all the time)

but generally i wake up at 5am and do core workouts till 545ish
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    I read (In the Rotation Diet Book) years ago that if you exercise in the evening you continue to burn the cals up to 7 hours when you go to bed. What the hell difference does it make though when your metabolism is higher in the day anyway.
  • soonerwife41
    soonerwife41 Posts: 43 Member
    I workout in the morning before work and at lunch. Too many things to do in the evening. Working out is supposed to give you more energy!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    I absolutely work out in the AM. It makes me feel better throughout the day, I know exactly how much I can eat for the day plus I have no excuse not to get it done! I seem to always make up an excuse not to do it in the evenings so this was the best choice for me. I've been getting up a little before 4:00 am for over 2 years now.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Mid-morning/over lunchtime. I find I have more energy at that time, but will walk in the evenings normally.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Both. I run in the morning (3x week) and Zumba in the evening (1-2x week) and I don't know if I have a preference - I feel pretty invigorated after exercising and can use the boost any time of day. The only time that wouldn't work for me is lunch because I sweat heavy and would need a shower.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    after work. I am an early riser - usually at my desk before 7am but have never been an early exercise person (even back in the day when I was doing competitive sports I hated early practice or matches). Plus for me, its a stress release after a long day at work especially when I can be outside. Different times work better/worse for different people. I have a couple of friends who seem to do really well with a short workout in the AM and another one after work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I can generally give it more in the evening. I usually lift in the evening on Tues and Thurs. I lift in the AM on Sat, but it just doesn't feel as good to me; I'd do it later on Sat if I could, but I'm usually so busy just trying to catch up with **** around the house and running errands that morning is about the only time I can get to the gym on a Sat.
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    Mornings although I do hate getting up at 5AM but I love that the gym is quiet - Spin biles always available and I feel great when I'm done.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I'm a morning person.....my favourite time to run is around 5:00AM - my energy levels are good and it's still nice and cool even in the summer.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I work out in the am because it's the only time I know I will be consistent. I have made it a habit. It sucks, getting up at 4:30, but if I leave it to the evening, I have too many excuses, I'm tired, I have to shuttle the kids, I want to hand out with my husband, etc. No excuses in the morning.