How long did it take you to like exercise?

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i'm going on 7 years and i still hate it
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Day one, since I touched a barbell.

THIS! x a million!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I still don't like it. Two years down the road, still hate it.
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Since I've played around with enough sports/programs/videos to find a few things that I like. Now that I can make it through most regimens without heaving and feel stronger, I'm starting to like them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For me the change came when I changed my perception of exercise. Try to think of it as a grown up version of "play time" rather than a workout; not so much something you have to do but something you're lucky to be able to participate in.

Embrace the sweat!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that people feel like they have to go to the gym and drone away for hours on some cardio machine to burn a gazillion calories. When that is the mindset, exercise becomes a task. I've found that most people really start getting into their exercise and training when they start exercising for their fitness and to achieve certain fitness goals beyond just burning calories.

That's how it was for me anyway...when I first started back to exercise I was just doing stuff based on what kind of calorie burn I could get and what I thought I needed to be doing. When I started establishing independent fitness goals, that's when my routines really came together and started to be more intelligent and make more sense. Before it was just whatever's clever and I'm going to burn some calories. Now, every single little thing I do training wise is in support of a very specific goal, and that drives me.

pretty much this!
  • irishscootz
    irishscootz Posts: 97
    Options
    It took some time for me. However, it was more about finding something that I really enjoyed doing. Once I found that, it didn't take very long at all.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am 61. I will let you know when it happens.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Getting out the door is always a struggle. It is for Olympic marathoners and everybody else. I like the way I look and feel after exercising. I like the experience of running.

I want to be a sexy lady who looks like she weighs 130 pounds, really weighs 180, and can kick off her pretty shoes and kick your butt in a half marathon (way far away from all those goals at this point, but I can dream).

I've put together a do-able routine and just check the boxes each day.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I still don't like it somedays. On other days I can't wait to get my workout in. On the days that I don't feel motivated, I usually just do cardio. That way I can lose my thoughts in the music and sort of put my brain on auto pilot during my workout.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You have to find what you enjoy. I dislike working out on the treadmill/elliptical and all types of running but LOVE hiking, walking, weight-training, and yoga.

Stick with what you like.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Since I started depending on it for the stress release after work. Maybe a month or two? Now if I don't exercise after work I am grouchy for the rest of the night.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I still don't like it, especially strength training because it's hard. I don't like lifting heavy stuff. :smile: I decided that it's something I have to do, and I don't give myself the option to not do it anymore. I only give myself the choice to either get it out of the way early in the day, or drag it out. :smile: I always feel better afterwards though.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that people feel like they have to go to the gym and drone away for hours on some cardio machine to burn a gazillion calories. When that is the mindset, exercise becomes a task. I've found that most people really start getting into their exercise and training when they start exercising for their fitness and to achieve certain fitness goals beyond just burning calories.

That's how it was for me anyway...when I first started back to exercise I was just doing stuff based on what kind of calorie burn I could get and what I thought I needed to be doing. When I started establishing independent fitness goals, that's when my routines really came together and started to be more intelligent and make more sense. Before it was just whatever's clever and I'm going to burn some calories. Now, every single little thing I do training wise is in support of a very specific goal, and that drives me.

This.

I have very specific goals in mind. For Cardio I want to be able to run a 5K under 30 minutes, then do a 10K afterward. As for lifting I want to have a well defined Lat and arms that are at least noticeably larger than my bodybuilding wife's. I'm determined to catch up to whatever weight she's working with, and that's not easy because she has been doing this for years and been personally coached by professionals.

As for diet I'm determined to lose this beer gut that I have carried around since I graduated college. I will have a visible six-pack abs for at least once in my life.

If --I mean when-- I manage to reach all that, then the next goal is to attain Navy Seal's fitness standard. It's just so nice to be able to say that I'm fit enough to try out for BUD/S.
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise but I still have to kick myself to get started sometimes! What helps me the most is having a lot of options open to me. I belong to a gym, a yoga studio, I have a 'home gym' (I try to add to it every other paycheck), I have DVD's, kettle bells, dumb bells, bench, stability ball, step, yoga mat/props, access to a lot of nice walking and hiking trails and a bike. My philosophy is to do what you like. It's been working for me for the last 35 years.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I still keep switching up my exercises! I've been almost a year on MFP, and I've done Zumba, TaeBo, treadmill, running outside, Leslie Sansone videos, 30 day shred and Now INSANITY! I started liking exercise as someone else said...as soon as I started seeing results!!!
  • WmRHunt
    WmRHunt Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife and I ride bicycles for fun and some exercise. All we did was increase what we were doing. Still enjoy the time on a bike.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I still don't love it yet however I try make sure I do a little every day now. x
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    4 months
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Seriously after six weeks, my legs CRAVE movement. Right now I'm waiting until after my nine year old counseling appointment to get moving and it's so hard. I want to throw on some clothes to sweat in and get moving NOW (but I dont' have time to do that and clean up before going, dang it)

It's different for everyone though. There has to be something you enjoy though. Or won't matter how much time you put into it. I've found joy in yoga, pilates, biking, walking, the leslie sansone's walking dvd's, toning with free weights (I use "the firm" hi def sculpt) and I'm always working to expand those interest.