First day of Couch 2 5k... anybody else just starting?

Options
I signed up for a 5k at the end of July. Today is my first day of C25k. I was wondering if anybody else was just starting out. It would be nice to check in with other people.

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of C25K, so I'm a bit ahead of you. I just want to say that if I can do it, you certainly can. Good luck!
  • OhSweetEnigma
    Options
    You can definitely do it! My advice, though, would be to run on a track (maybe a local high school) rather than on the road. It makes it much easier to gauge your distance progress and won't hurt your feet/calves/knees as much as running on an uneven road. I've attempted the couch to 5k before but I found that I really needed a buddy to get me into a good routine.
    Now I am training for a 5k with my friend, on a custom program he has designed (based on distance rather than time).

Good Luck!
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    I finished a few years ago, foot problems. Back at it again. On Week 5 Day 1 Thursday so just a bit ahead of you. First time around it was difficult but manageable. If you ever feel like you can't do it, just TRY! You'll be surprised at how much you can achieve, first time around I was almost 230 starting off. :)
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    I'm on week 4, but check out this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

You will find others just starting and lots of good advice
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey. I just started as well. I completed week 1 day 1, yesterday. I'm signing up for my first 5k (the color run) on August 31st. Should be ready by then.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    I am planning on starting this tonight. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me and we can cheer each other on.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting! That's a big milestone in itself.
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k at the end of July, (The Color Run) and hopefully will be done with week 6 tomorrow!

THe c25k app is great, and really works, stick with it and dont be afraid to repeat weeks if you need too.

My biggest piece of advice, don't cheat and extend the walking periods! Try and do it exactly to the letter, you will be able to eventually.

Good luck and keep going,

Feel free to add me if you wish ;)
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It's thunderstorming now so hopefully I can get my first workout in later this evening.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I can now run 25 mins! But signed up for a 5k in July :) I do week 7 every second day and week 2 alternatively as I am helping my friends to do it! I must say I like running on y own, but it's lovely having my friends with me too x
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I got up to week 6, then got sick with a killer cough, which killed my running. Yesterday I restarted D1W1 again, and will be redoing the entire routine. If you want to add me we can do this together, and motivate!

Good luck!
  • jwool40
    jwool40 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just started the C25K on Monday, my 16yr old daughter is doing it with me. Today will be my second day as yesterday was my rest day. I am more sore today then I was yesterday! I am hoping that once I get started and stretch it will be ok. I am going to give it my all!
  • sarahjane0306
    sarahjane0306 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm starting next Wednesday :) as a former athlete I'm hoping I'll be able to pick it up again quite quickly and be able to get through the first couple of weeks quickly :)
  • IamDoe
    IamDoe Posts: 24
    Options
    Today I did Week 5 day 3. I was supposed to do it last week on friday (my birthday), but my husband was in the hospital most of last week and I was sick so I missed my runs (I was with him, and we were in another town).
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I started at 295lbs. I have not repeated or skipped any. I have done it exactly as it is written except once I walked for 30 seconds (made up for it later by running a minute..and that was in the first or 2nd week), and once I stopped because I was coughing so hard I was about to be sick. The only off time was last week, but that was unavoidable. Now I'm in the 280s and ran 20 mins straight today! So... YOU've GOT THIS.
    You will find amazing support here. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Always remember... no matter how fast or slow.. you are lapping those people who are on the couch.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Today I did Week 5 day 3. I was supposed to do it last week on friday (my birthday), but my husband was in the hospital most of last week and I was sick so I missed my runs (I was with him, and we were in another town).
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I started at 295lbs. I have not repeated or skipped any. I have done it exactly as it is written except once I walked for 30 seconds (made up for it later by running a minute..and that was in the first or 2nd week), and once I stopped because I was coughing so hard I was about to be sick. The only off time was last week, but that was unavoidable. Now I'm in the 280s and ran 20 mins straight today! So... YOU've GOT THIS.
    You will find amazing support here. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Always remember... no matter how fast or slow.. you are lapping those people who are on the couch.

Congratulations on your 20 minute run. That's a big one!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k at the end of July, (The Color Run) and hopefully will be done with week 6 tomorrow!

THe c25k app is great, and really works, stick with it and dont be afraid to repeat weeks if you need too.

My biggest piece of advice, don't cheat and extend the walking periods! Try and do it exactly to the letter, you will be able to eventually.

Good luck and keep going,

Feel free to add me if you wish ;)

Are you doing the one in Manchester?

I'm currently on week 3 of a slightly different one called zombie 5k training but they are very similar.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    I'm starting either today or tomorrow.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last week. Am in week 2. I actually have a 5k during week 4.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm starting either today or tomorrow.

Get off the couch and start today.
  • CMcG86
    CMcG86 Posts: 3
    Options
    I injured my foot so I was unable to finish it, but I am planning to start it June1st again!! it was really easy to get into and I really enjoyed it!