Exercising While Sick?

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
So I got the common cold the other day, its not too bad, just really annoying. Watery eyes, runny nose, sore throat and headaches >.< My question is, do you guys still exercise when you are sick? I was going to go to the gym but my boyfriend reminded me that I will just get everyone else there sick lol That didn't cross my mind for some reason xD Do you guys just exercise at home?

Replies

• missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    So I got the common cold the other day, its not too bad, just really annoying. Watery eyes, runny nose, sore throat and headaches >.< My question is, do you guys still exercise when you are sick? I was going to go to the gym but my boyfriend reminded me that I will just get everyone else there sick lol That didn't cross my mind for some reason xD Do you guys just exercise at home?

Personally, I wouldn't go to the gym for two reasons.
    1) You could easily pass on germs - your boyfriend is right.
    2) You are more likely to push yourself further than you should whilst sick - I did this the other week and nearly passed out.

My virus laid me out pretty much the entire week and I was only able to do two walks (small) without wanting to pass out. I would focus on keeping fitness up if you are well enough to walk but don't push yourself too far - you'll only feel worse in the long run and delay getting back to it like I did!

Feel better soon x
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I take it easy and go for a walk outside. The outside air makes me feel better when I've got a cold.

And don't get the gym equipment germy.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If it's just my allergies (which are killer at the moment) I take my Allegra and wait for it to kick in, then work out. If I have a sore throat, cough, or any stomach issues, I won't. And I wouldn't want anyone who has any of that going to the gym and giving it to me either. Rest!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had a cold 3wks ago and wasn't able to do my full cardio (running/spin) so I did body weight exercises at home and walked my dogs (a little running with them, but very slow and short distances). I tried after 1 wk to get back to my normal running routine, but I just didn't have the lung capacity back yet and it turned into a really long walk. This past weekend was the first time that I was able to run fully for the speed and distance I was expecting. I'd say just take it slow and do what feels good to you. I wouldn't have been able to wait that full 3 wks w/o any exercise (training for a race in 2 wks), so I'm glad I kept active, I just tailored it to what I could do throughout. Of course I'm one of those that colds just linger and linger...if yours are a week, then gone, you can always just consider it a much deserved break!!
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I had a cold 3wks ago and wasn't able to do my full cardio (running/spin) so I did body weight exercises at home and walked my dogs (a little running with them, but very slow and short distances). I tried after 1 wk to get back to my normal running routine, but I just didn't have the lung capacity back yet and it turned into a really long walk. This past weekend was the first time that I was able to run fully for the speed and distance I was expecting. I'd say just take it slow and do what feels good to you. I wouldn't have been able to wait that full 3 wks w/o any exercise (training for a race in 2 wks), so I'm glad I kept active, I just tailored it to what I could do throughout. Of course I'm one of those that colds just linger and linger...if yours are a week, then gone, you can always just consider it a much deserved break!!

Ha! I just had a break though T_T lol
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    personally i don't. i've learned this from many years of experience...:smile:
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I guess I can look it at this way, if I am too sick to play games online comfortably, then I can't exercise either! D:
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I got pneumonia last August. It was October before I could exercise without dissolving into a coughing fit. I say rest.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Early last week, I had a headache and sore throat. I knew I was coming down with something, but continued to workout because my symptoms weren't that bad.

By Wednesday, I stopped working out. I actually started to eat close to maintenance calories, because I was getting worse and wanted to give my body all the energy it need to fight off whatever I had. My symptoms now included a headache, sore throat, congestion and a cough.

On Friday, I went to the doctors. I have a sinus infection (I originally thought it was just a cold) and I had also developed Pink Eye. So I'm still not working out, even though I want to. In fact the barbell I ordered came today and I so want to use it, but when it's all said and done I still need rest. I cleaned the living room last night and ended up coughing all night (just to note..I had stopped coughing by Sunday..so cleaning was even too much for me).

So if my symptoms hadn't progressed, I would have continued to work out and probably would have been fine.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would not gym as I think it is unfair on others. I will get the dogs out for some nice long walks though I like the fresh air and I can't do with doing nothing. I make sure I eat plenty to fuel my body though