50 pounds gone... my story and in progress pics

Options
I had lost 80 pounds from 2007 to 2008; I had gone from a size 20 to a size 8 in 10 months and was feeling at the top of my game. With only 20 pounds left to lose, like so many of us who struggle with overeating, I let things spiral out of control after hitting the infamous plateau and no longer seeing changes on the scale. Week after week, I let the weight pile on again (i.e. I shoveled a lot of unnecessary food into my mouth and enjoyed far too many hours of reality TV), gaining what felt like a disastrous 55 pounds back over a four-year period. Clothes shopping and day-to-day tasks, like getting in and out of the car and tying my shoes became a chore again and I was embarrassed by my very visible failure.

Late March 2012, as I was coordinating the shoot for the launch video of our new corporate wellness program and listening to the testimonials of colleagues who had overcome health issues, I became inspired to regain control of my eating and exercise habits. I knew that if I could do it once, I could do it again and this time, it was going to be for life!

On April 2, 2012, I began my weight-loss journey for the second time. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my weight, my goals, my calorie-intake, my physical activity and even the reasons why some days were not as healthy as others. Within six months, I lost 50 pounds by increasing my water intake, reducing portion size, avoiding fatty foods and increasing my level of physical activity while allowing myself the occasional “treat”. I trained myself to eat only when I was hungry and to exercise even when I did not feel like it.

I learnt, among so many other things, that there is always time for a workout; that it can be tough to get started but that it feels amazing once done; sometimes (ok often!), it still takes me a full day to convince myself that a 15-minute walk is what I need to shake off the day’s stress. I learnt that one bad meal does not need to turn into a bad day and that a bad weekend into a bad week. I also learnt the importance of setting short-term (non-scale related) goals, such as running my first 10-kilometer race, which I accomplished last May.

Over a year into my second weight loss journey, I am 25 pounds away from my ultimate weight-loss goal and training to run a half-marathon in September (is this really my story?). Although I have once again reached the infamous plateau and the number on the scale has not moved since December 2012 (maybe I should check the batteries?), I remain fully motivated and optimistic. It is no longer about the number on the scale but about setting a positive example for my two teenagers, being healthy, feeling strong and confident, setting and exceeding new fitness goals (I never get enough of passing a skinny chick while out cycling or running!), and living a long, happy and active life with my incredibly supportive husband.

2wdndvl.png

33ubcw8.png

t4wh2a.png

My tips for getting started, staying motivated and reaching your goals
•Do it for you! For me, it has never been about being a size zero; it is about feeling good and having enough energy to get through the day. It is about being the best that I can be! The truth is, it takes months before anyone even notices you are losing weight, so the motivation needs to come from within.
•Think long-term; experts say it takes 21 days to change a habit... losing weight and getting fit isn’t easy but it is worth it! Although I lost quickly in the beginning, there have been weeks (and months!) where the number on the scale refused to move.
•Take progress pictures; since the scale has stopped moving, they have been great reminders of just how far I have come.
•Track your calorie intake daily; I was shocked at how many calories are in some of my favorite foods. Did you know that one Tim Horton’s Timbit is 90 calories? And to think that I used to eat the whole box… as a SNACK!
•Measure your portions; this only takes an extra minute at mealtime and ensures that I am tracking accurately.
•Get active at your own pace and invest in a good pair of running shoes; walking is a great activity to do alone or with the entire family… over the months, as I have gotten stronger, I have been able to increase my distance and speed. I still cannot believe that I am now a runner!
•Always have water on-hand; my 32-ounce bottle keeps me feeling full, gives me a reason to step away from the computer screen for a few quick mental breaks and gives me something other than food to reach for when I am feeling antsy.
•Plan your meals! Every Sunday morning, I measure my breakfast and lunches for the week. On days when I have a social event, I make a point of getting a little more exercise in to compensate for the extra calories. I try to control what I can, when I can!
•Allow yourself rest days; there are days when my body and brain say “enough of this madness!” So I take a day or two without exercise, tracking and measuring. It helps me come back stronger!
•All in moderation… At times, when the voices in my head are simply too loud to ignore, I do indulge in a greasy pizza and fries, a Dairy Queen ice cream or an embarrassing quantity of licorice... I simply shake (or run) it off and start fresh at the next meal. I know that dwelling on it will only push me to want to give up and that is NOT an option.

Replies

• emma19797
    emma19797 Posts: 18
    Options
    You are amazing and a great inspiration!!! And such a big difference...you rock girl!! the only thing i can truly say now is congratulations! :D
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And thank you for the reminders :flowerforyou:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    one of the best success stories ever. you know why? because you didn't let a failure keep you down. you got back up and fought for this! i have nothing but admiration for you.

bravo!

*hoots, hollers, whistles, etc*
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the reminders!!!
  • Liz558800
    Liz558800 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips...I just started this journey and need all the tips and help I can get!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! Keep it up!
  • SoLiveItUp
    SoLiveItUp Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    well done : )
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep up the good work.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love your bike tattoo!
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Great, realistic, inspiring story...congrats and keep it up!
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great post - inspiring and motivating! I too have lost, gained and am now losing again. I don't want to do this a third time. It does not get any easier! However, I agree with your advice. It is a lifestyle change, there will be slip ups, splurges, days we rock it out of the park, and all in between. I am so proud of you and all the others on this site and appreciate you sharing. I didn't take pics when I started out of shame now regret it! You are totally transforming your body!!!
  • brfried
    brfried Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are a wonderful inspiration! With many great tips and words of encouragement. Thanks and congrats to you.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. I am restarting after a several month hiatus. It sure feels good to be in control again.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    GREAT post. Thank you for shaing!
  • naeswirl
    naeswirl Posts: 56
    Options
    wow!! Congrats on the loss!!
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! The support on MFP has been extremely helpful!
  • Jen_niferH86
    Options
    Great Job Amy! well done.

Like you, I am also on my second weight loss journey but I still have a long way to go! I totally agree with your fabulous tips.

Thanks for taking the time to write this post

:smile:
  • Ysalcedo
    Ysalcedo Posts: 2
    Options
    It was great to read your story, and glad to know that you touched on those days when you just need to indulge and not feel guilty about it, that sometimes we need to pick ourselves up again and keep going. About the bad days that can turn into bad weeks and then the cycle of self loathing begins all over again.
    I've been struggling with my weight for a long time and I fall and I pick myself up again and I am determined to make this change for life starting today. Thanks for your post.

:) y
  • emilyahartmann
    emilyahartmann Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, just what I needed to read :)
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thank u for sharing and keep up the good work
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!