Help - people with low body fat % / who are lowering!

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most people seriously understimate their bf percentage. I am curious what method the women on here who believe they are in the 10-12% range use to measure their body fat.

This is the sense I get as well. 10% is very, very low on a woman. Probably physiologically equivalent to something like 4-5% on a man.

90% of the time when someone claims their bodyfat is that low they are wrong every time.

Yup. If you're not seeing heavy vascularity (something very few women actually want), you're not really pushing 10%. A woman can look very fit at 20-25%. Men are just as bad, just with a lower percentage frame of reference.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    hi there:) first off, congrats! You're in a good place if that's your goal.

I'm working on this too, I'm at about 107lbs and floating somewhere around 10-15% body fat. I've been talking to a lot of the more experienced ladies on here, and they've been a fantastic resource. What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

Feel free to add me, and we can plow through this together :happy:

A body fat percentage of 10% is very unhealthy for a woman

LOL says who?

I read on Bodybuilding.com that even female athletes have a body fat percentage of 15-20%, so 10% is probably incorrect. Everyday women of normal weight have body fat percentages around 21-30%.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ive lost 10 percent of my body weight using my fitness pal
    doing 60 minutes cardio a day and staying under calories..............
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think what is "too low" probably varies from person to person, and isn't based on the number as much as an individual's level of adaption. Our bodies are remarkably adaptable. Your bf is too low when it impedes your functioning, but some people can probably adapt and function perfectly well at lower levels than others. I have no support for this, but it's just a hunch based on the fact that people manage to live and reproduce even in periods of severe famine.

Of course it varies and it's not a bright line rule. But you acknowledge that there IS a limit for what is sustainable right? For example, I think we would all agree that if you ever got to 0% bodyfat... somehow... you'd be dead (or at the least, probably dying.) So working your way backward, you get to 1%... then 2%... somewhere there is a range when you AREN'T in poor health yet but you are close to or at risk of being poor health; which we will define here as having your fertility or hormones thrown out of whack. 10% is something like a general guideline. As in: maybe you, personally, are fine at 9%. Maybe even 8%. But get at or around 10% and you're at risk.

But really, I think people are underestimating their bodyfat percentage here. Getting sub-10% for women or sub-5% for men is not only not easy, but you'll also be hating life every step of the way. You are basically in contest or cover-shoot shape, which even professionals who have nothing but time and money on their hands to reach that stage only stay in for days at at time because it adversely impacts their health and quality of life.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Anything under 20% body fat for a women is supposed to put her in danger of losing her fertility.

It's usually only under 10% when that becomes an issue, and of course not every woman is the same. Truth is, its extremely hard to get below 10% and stay there unless you're an elite athlete.

I looked it up and even most female elite athletes do not get anywhere near 10%.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Getting sub-10% for women or sub-5% for men is not only not easy, but you'll also be hating life every step of the way. You are basically in contest or cover-shoot shape, which even professionals who have nothing but time and money on their hands to reach that stage only stay in for days at at time because it adversely impacts their health and quality of life.

To be clear, that's bodybuilding / elite fitness modeling. Anything else (beauty pageant, sports illustrated swimsuit, ESPN body issue, etc), the models are not going that low.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Getting sub-10% for women or sub-5% for men is not only not easy, but you'll also be hating life every step of the way. You are basically in contest or cover-shoot shape, which even professionals who have nothing but time and money on their hands to reach that stage only stay in for days at at time because it adversely impacts their health and quality of life.

To be clear, that's bodybuilding / elite fitness modeling. Anything else (beauty pageant, sports illustrated swimsuit, ESPN body issue, etc), the models are not going that low.

Correct, and thanks for the clarification if there was any confusion. My point was simply that anyone claiming to be 10% is probably incorrect or drastically underestimating their bodyfat percentage. Secondary point is that any experiences with someone who is "slim" not having any problems was probably not sub-10%.

As far as stories go, my friend who was competing in figure was around 13% (as measured by a bodypod) when she started having irregular periods.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this right now as well. I am really looking forward to the replies.
  • DzenisZukovic
    DzenisZukovic Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I'm working on this too, I'm at about 107lbs and floating somewhere around 10-15% body fat. I've been talking to a lot of the more experienced ladies on here, and they've been a fantastic resource. What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

I just don't want anyone to get ill :(
    Anything under 20% body fat for a women is supposed to put her in danger of losing her fertility.

This is not something I made up, I heard it from countless resources and dieticians with degrees in this subject.
    ¨

That's right! ;-)
    Men = minimum 5% bodyfat
    Women = minimum 17% bodyfat
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 18% and no longer have my period. I have abs and can see all my muscles well. I will be competing in a bodybuilding competition at 13%, but that's not sustainable long term. Just my two cents.

ETA: When lowering mine I do TDEE-20%, eat high protein/carb cycle. I also spend 3-4 hours a week lifting heavy and an hour a week doing interval cardio.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    ive lost 10 percent of my body weight using my fitness pal
    doing 60 minutes cardio a day and staying under calories..............

Good for you! But you didn't have to... 20 min. of weight training would have most likely given you the same body fat % in a lot less time.

The point is that cardio isn't necessary for body fat % loss.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

If that is a recent picture, you are not 10-15% bodyfat. No idea what method you used to establish this.

To the Op, I am around 12-14%(measured and affirmed by several methods), and I got there through a combination of Intermittent Fasting, upping my lean protein, lowering my carbs slightly(I still had over 150g), doing strength training 2-3 times a week, and intense cardio for 45-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week. However, I have been told I need to put some fat back on, so I would not recommend dropping below 15-16% at the minimum, unless you intend on going in for fitness contests. That sad, I still get my periods just fine so it depends on the individual, I think, as to how low in bodyfat they can safely go before compromising their hormones.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

I just don't want anyone to get ill :(

This is not something I made up, I heard it from countless resources and dieticians with degrees in this subject.
    ¨

That's right! ;-)
    Men = minimum 5% bodyfat
    Women = minimum 17% bodyfat

Yep. Can a woman under 17% be healthy? Sure. But it puts you at greater risk for health problems. Same way a woman above 30% might be in good health but is at greater risk for health problems.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people seriously understimate their bf percentage. I am curious what method the women on here who believe they are in the 10-12% range use to measure their body fat.

That's what I'm thinking...here's a visual reference:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bumping for entertainment :drinker:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Not everyone, at a specific bodyfat%, is going to look like a single example in a set of images. The example there of 10-12%, for example, has obviously built up a lot of muscle on top of stripping bodyfat and will look different to someone who has not built up a lot of muscle but has stripped bodyfat. I have been measured via callipers, bodystat 1500 and also had Sarauk2sf and Sidesteel judge(in their group, Eat, Train, Progress) from various photos of my body, flexed and unflexed. (ironically, because I did not believe the numbers the trainers had come up with).
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think every method I've used has measured my bf% as lower than it is because I've seen scores of women who claim to have a higher bf% yet look more ripped. I've used calipers (multiple methods and multiple people administering), a bf scale (joke), and the military calculator (also a joke). I always measure in the teens, but I think I look most like that 20-22 picture.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    I think every method I've used has measured my bf% as lower than it is because I've seen scores of women who claim to have a higher bf% yet look more ripped. I've used calipers (multiple methods and multiple people administering), a bf scale (joke), and the military calculator (also a joke). I always measure in the teens, but I think I look most like that 20-22 picture.

Most metro areas have bodpods around. If you're really curious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Not everyone, at a specific bodyfat%, is going to look like a single example in a set of images. The example there of 10-12%, for example, has obviously built up a lot of muscle on top of stripping bodyfat and will look different to someone who has not built up a lot of muscle but has stripped bodyfat. I have been measured via callipers, bodystat 1500 and also had Sarauk2sf and Sidesteel judge(in their group, Eat, Train, Progress) from various photos of my body, flexed and unflexed. (ironically, because I did not believe the numbers the trainers had come up with).

I was agreeing that MOST people underestimate their BF% on this site as a whole..not you specifically. Also, you're missing the point...yes, that individual is "built up"...but someone who is 10-12% BF is going to have visual abdominal muscles and will have a somewhat muscular look even if they haven't bulked up. It's just a generalization for people to see what a certain BF% looks like...yes...how you carry it will differ, but there will be consistencies as well.
  • sash3619
    sash3619 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but all books and health articles say that an optimal and sustainable percentage of body fat for a non-athlete is around 10-15% for men and 16-20% for women.

Here is the typical average body fat for athletes male and female (%m, %f) (took the info from Tom Venuto's book):
    Distance runners 5-10% 10-16%
    Elite marathon runners 3-5% 9-12%
    Sprinters 5-12% 12-18%
    Jumpers & hurdlers 6-13% 12-20%
    Olympic gymnasts 5-8% 11-14%
    Bodybuilders, contest condition 3-5% 8-12%
    Bodybuilders, off season 6-12% 13-18%
    Football players, running backs, receivers, def backs 7-9% NA
    Football players, linebackers 14% NA
    Football players, linemen 16-19% NA
    Soccer players 7-12% 10-18%
    Baseball/softball players 10-14% 12-18%