How did you decide your goal weight?

Options
pheasant5
pheasant5 Posts: 36 Member
Curious how others have decided what their goal weight is?

Replies

• ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I chose something that I was able to achieve in a realistic time frame, once that is reached i create a new one. For me it helps me stay motivated :)
  • pheasant5
    Options
    I see you're wanting to loose 55, but how do you know that is your ideal weight? I thought that I would like to loose 40 but I'm half way there and think may another 20 is a bit much........ I've put on muscle and lost fat. I would like to know if anyone knows how to do a BMI at home.
  • pheasant5
    Options
    You don't decide a goal weight, you decide a bodyfat %.

What % is an ideal? or is it individual?
  • Keenasgettingfitnhealthy
    Options
    I found out what my lean body mass was then added about 25% (I would be happy with 25% body fat!) - thats how I worked mine out, and it equaled into the healthy BMI range any way so all good.

Metric Units: BMI = Weight (kg) / (Height (m) x Height (m))

English Units: BMI = Weight (lb) / (Height (in) x Height (in)) x 703
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and decided on 140#'s. It's what I weighed when we got married 10 years ago. When I look at pictures from back then I think I looked good at that weight. Had neither a chunky looking face and didn't look too thin either. I had weighed 120 not long before then and would feel weak during certain sports... a little more weight works better for me. My choice was about balancing functionality with what I like for appearance.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I initially set my goal weight to what /i would be with an BMI as of 25 as basically an arbitrary value to work to and then as I approached it I re evaluated by how i felt and what was realistic for my frame
    I also as I approached looked at other more reliable measures including body fat

after I had sat my goal i decided on mini goals - loosing 5% of my starting weight and then milestones to give me accountability and golas to reach in realistic time frames and something to reward my self for to keep me motivated

good luck and my advice would be to set a goal to work to but reevaluate how you feel/ look and what is right for you