Joining the Y to start lifting... routine suggestions?

Options
So I'm joining the Y soon so that I can start lifting (and so my kids can go swimming haha) I know that I'm supposed to give each muscle group time to rest so they have time to heal... Was hoping for some suggestions on routines... Should I lift 3 times per week a different muscle group for each of those 3 days, should I do full body those 3 days? Should I lift more than 3 days per week focusing on just one muscle group? I'd like to do this right and don't want to go in there looking silly haha... I have pretty good strength for a girl, especially one of my size (and more so in my legs) most likely left over from sports in highschool hahaha... so I'm not worried about not being able to handle some weight... just not sure how to time my workouts out :p and then where does cardio fit in? I want to do both, I've been doing cardio and circuit training at home for close to a month now...

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Was hoping for some suggestions on routines...

I suggest either Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Should I lift 3 times per week a different muscle group for each of those 3 days,

No.
    should I do full body those 3 days?

Yes.
    Should I lift more than 3 days per week focusing on just one muscle group?

No.
    then where does cardio fit in? I want to do both, I've been doing cardio and circuit training at home for close to a month now...

Cardio will not help your strength goals.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Should I lift 3 times per week a different muscle group for each of those 3 days,

No.

Yes.

No.
    then where does cardio fit in? I want to do both, I've been doing cardio and circuit training at home for close to a month now...

I don't want just strength goals though... I have a lot to burn, I'd like to burn and sculpt at the same time...
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nia Shanks' Beautiful Badass program has nearly 20 really awesome routines. Great for beginners. Otherwise, I recommend Starting Strength.

You can do 2-3x/week, full body. Either a rest day in between these days or cardio if you want. Generally, it's a good idea to have 1-2 full rest days a week with 3x/week weight training.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Another vote for starting strength or stronglifts.
    Both are 3 days a week I believe.

Normal steady state cardio will burn calories while you're doing it, but very little after - it affects calories in vs calories out, but as far as losing weight, you could also just eat less. If it works better for you to exercise and eat, fair enough.
    Of course it'll also improve your cardiovascular fitness generally.
    It won't do much for body image apart from the calorie deficit when compared to strength training.

Weight training, especially the big compound moves in the above program can see your body burning calories for up to two days after having done the weights as it repairs it's self. So you get both that 'tone' you may be looking for and extra calories burnt, as well as ensuring you keep muscle rather than losing it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I workout at the Y.. I do Stronglifts 5x5 and also take part in the fitness classes there. There are a variety to choose from, depending on where you live.. I really enjoy Kettlebell and some of the Cardio/Strength classes (they have different names in different regions). You can also look into NROLFW, some women here really like that program. I used to do 30DS at the gym on my phone just for kicks

I'm not going to be an --- and be like DON'T DO CARDIO, it's bad.. but definitely make strength one of your primary focuses. That is if you want to truly burn off fat and look better. Just doing cardio alone will make you skinny fat (and it's boring). You will find something for you that works. I've trained for 8 weeks at a time at 6x per week with a rest day between, slowed it down to 3-4x, now I aim for 3-5x per week. Just listen to your body, start off by getting in the gym and aim for 2x per week. Up for more, try 3x per week.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    one more question too... how many net calories should I eat in order to not loose muscle but still burn off the fat? right now I'm logging around 1300 ish net because I eat back my exercise cals... is that enough to prevent loosing muscle?
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try following
    'New Rules of Lifting for Women'
    or
    'Drop 2 Sizes' Rachel Cosgrove
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Stronglifts. The beauty of the program is not only that it works but it's simplicity. It's great for someone that is just starting. If cardio is important for you, you can add it after your lifting session. I personally don't like to do too much cardio between sessions to allow my body the necessary recoup time, but after lifting I have no problem. You can check the group Stronglifts 5x5 for women if you want additional advice and the rundown of the program. Good luck and have fun.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    one more question too... how many net calories should I eat in order to not loose muscle but still burn off the fat? right now I'm logging around 1300 ish net because I eat back my exercise cals... is that enough to prevent loosing muscle?

Depends on your protein intake.. also how many net cals you should eat depends on different factors.. most folks here aim for 1g of protein per lb of body weight
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just worry about establishing a routine you like and will stick with. The rest will come along.
    If you worry too much about gaining strength and not losing muscle, and becoming a goddess, you are going to find the progress slow and it will be hard to stay motivated long term.
    Make it fun. Once it is has been fun and you have a habit you enjoy, then you can make it hard.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength or Stronglifts...in any case, read Starting Strength- lots of info. I started with SL because it was free and made some good gains pretty quickly. I personally like doing a bit of cardio for the sake of staying in shape enough to run a bit, and to burn some extra calories. Sounds like you would like that as well. You can either do a bit (like 15-20 minutes) of cardio after your weightlifting, or alternate days. I find that if I try to do a ton of cardio on lifting days I get worn out really bad. You'll probably want to bump up your calories a bit too, make sure you are getting around 1g protein per pound of lean body mass to help you not lose muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do a session with the Y's personal trainer and she'll sort out a routine that is properly tailored for you. Otherwise you're just feeling your way in the dark and hoping whatever you choose will work.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength or Stronglifts...in any case, read Starting Strength- lots of info. I started with SL because it was free and made some good gains pretty quickly. I personally like doing a bit of cardio for the sake of staying in shape enough to run a bit, and to burn some extra calories. Sounds like you would like that as well. You can either do a bit (like 15-20 minutes) of cardio after your weightlifting, or alternate days. I find that if I try to do a ton of cardio on lifting days I get worn out really bad. You'll probably want to bump up your calories a bit too, make sure you are getting around 1g protein per pound of lean body mass to help you not lose muscle while eating at a deficit.

wow that much protien? I just calculated my lean body mass from an online calculator and its about 140 :noway: it only says to eat about 60 grams on mfp's standards :p I thought I was doing good by going over 15 or so daily :sad:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do a session with the Y's personal trainer and she'll sort out a routine that is properly tailored for you. Otherwise you're just feeling your way in the dark and hoping whatever you choose will work.
    But becareful - often they will point women towards the pink weights and everyone towards machines because that's what they find easiest.

zooktography Selector
    With a lean body mass of 140 I'd have thought a few more calories may help retain muscle (edit - oops, got you confused with the OP, my bad... I've left my ramblings in anyway).
    An online calculator suggests I've only got a little bit more than that and I'm now fairly thin - certainly compared to how I've been for most of my life.

I aim for 170-180g of protein a day from around 1450 calories, but I don't beat myself up if I go over that (today I did by a good chunk, but I also ran for over an hour.)
    I'd consider my current weight loss strategy unhealthy and unsustainable - I left it a bit too late to trim down for my goal date of Glastonbury Festival.
    If you add in some lean chicken, or a protein shake or two, it shouldn't be too hard to meet
  • southernbe1le
    southernbe1le Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I'm joining the Y soon so that I can start lifting (and so my kids can go swimming haha) I know that I'm supposed to give each muscle group time to rest so they have time to heal... Was hoping for some suggestions on routines... Should I lift 3 times per week a different muscle group for each of those 3 days, should I do full body those 3 days? Should I lift more than 3 days per week focusing on just one muscle group? I'd like to do this right and don't want to go in there looking silly haha... I have pretty good strength for a girl, especially one of my size (and more so in my legs) most likely left over from sports in highschool hahaha... so I'm not worried about not being able to handle some weight... just not sure how to time my workouts out :p and then where does cardio fit in? I want to do both, I've been doing cardio and circuit training at home for close to a month now...

Check out bodybuilding.com and look through the different transformations to see if there is one that works for you, I'm sure you will find one. They have printables or you can write down the exercises and you also can view a short video showing how to properly do the exercises. Since you are new to training, take advantage of the free PT sessions and buddy up with an experienced lifter at the Y to help you with your form. HTH.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    But becareful - often they will point women towards the pink weights and everyone towards machines because that's what they find easiest.

zooktography Selector
    With a lean body mass of 140 I'd have thought a few more calories may help retain muscle (edit - oops, got you confused with the OP, my bad... I've left my ramblings in anyway).
    An online calculator suggests I've only got a little bit more than that and I'm now fairly thin - certainly compared to how I've been for most of my life.

I aim for 170-180g of protein a day from around 1450 calories, but I don't beat myself up if I go over that (today I did by a good chunk, but I also ran for over an hour.)
    I'd consider my current weight loss strategy unhealthy and unsustainable - I left it a bit too late to trim down for my goal date of Glastonbury Festival.
    If you add in some lean chicken, or a protein shake or two, it shouldn't be too hard to meet

Is it bad that I have a similar lean body mass the same as a guy?? I don't want to look manly :tongue:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

No.

Yes.

No.

I don't want just strength goals though... I have a lot to burn, I'd like to burn and sculpt at the same time...
    The answers above are good. I've heard great things about Stronglifts, but I haven't tried it so I'll recommend NROL4W (MFP group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w). I've been loving it so far, and I've only done the first 4 workouts.

I know people will come at me with flaming pitchforks for saying this, but don't stress too much about your protein since you said you're usually at around 75g and not looking to bulk up.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Did you just say bulk up???????? :noway: :noway: :noway:

Having more than 75g doesn't equate to bulking up.. nor does weight lifting in general. Unbelievable.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Stronglifts- yes.

Calories?- calculate your TDEE (go to for instance fitnessfrog.com), withdraw something like 15%. Then you´re eating at a decent decifit. And then DON´T eat back exercise calories, they are already calculated in as an average (I would go for "moderate active" or more, if you do cardio on non-lifting days.) It will probably seem like a lot, but up your calories by 50 per week. I went from 1200 to 1850 without gaining!

Protein- yes, that much. You may want to consider taking a supplement. I was against it at first, but now I´m glad that I don´t have to stress about it.

Fat- about 45-50 g per lean body weight.

That you´re a strong lady is only a good thing. Then you won´t feel silly standing with "babyweights" like me, Lol- You will not look manly.

Good luck and have fun!!