Anyone else Gluten Free?

Options
I went Gluten Free with my sister as an experiment to see how I'd feel with out it. The thought is that a lot of people have trouble digesting gluten, even without having Celiac disease. I feel great after giving it up and was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience as mine.

I feel less cranky when I'm hungry and It's easier to listen to what my body is saying. My theory is that if my body can't digest gluten all that well, it'll still want to eat even though it's had enough calories because the gluten makes all the good stuff pass right through me.

Anyways, just wondering if people are following this "gluten free" trend and if they are having success on it. Whenever I tell people about it they are very cynical of it's success but I look to prove them wrong! haha.

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by success? Weight lose? better digestion?

I'm gluten free but I don't believe it is a "trend" either I don't eat it because It make me feel sick, bloated and sometimes bloody stool (TMI SORRY)

But from a weight loose point of view, I was a fattest i have ever been once going gluten free I didn't realise how calorific the pasta and bread and all that was and i would just eat it as i would pasta. My advice if you looking at staying gluten free is try and avoid these types of products. Doesn't mean you have to be low carb it just means you need to have more of an understanding of what foods provide what and what does n doesn't have gluten.

If it works for you and you feel better about it then stick with it, But i don't recommend it if its only a fad for you in a hope to loose.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease so I really don't have much of a choice to be gluten free or not. LOL I lost about 30 pounds within a couple of months of diagnosis just by cutting gluten. I lost another 20ish cutting most other grains and starches. I'm here to lose the last 30ish.

But if I didn't have celiac disease there is absolutely no way I could stick to a gluten free diet for any length of time. I went through a whole host of crazy food related emotions the first 5-6 months of adjustment. Gluten is in so much that I didn't expect. Seriously, I had to give up freaking Twizzlers! They were my favorite!

Anyway, I don't mean to paint such a glum picture. If you can stick to it, that's awesome. I don't really think anyone needs foods like pasta or bread anyway.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you feel better after going off of gluten you should probably ask your Dr. for some celiac antibody tests. At least you will be closer to knowing if you should actually never eat gluten again as a matter of not destroying your intestines. Celiac is an autoimmune condition, not a trend and it is helpful to know if you are Celiac.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched to a gluten free diet as a result of ongoing health issues. It's definitely not an easy transition to make. Gluten is a sneaky little bugger. I feel a lot better health wise being off gluten...less bloating, cramping...less stomach issues overall. I used to get headaches a lot and I haven't had one in quite a while.

It's definitely not for everyone and you really need to do your research on it to make it a healthy transition. Best of luck! :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I have celiac disease so I really don't have much of a choice to be gluten free or not. LOL I lost about 30 pounds within a couple of months of diagnosis just by cutting gluten. I lost another 20ish cutting most other grains and starches. I'm here to lose the last 30ish.

But if I didn't have celiac disease there is absolutely no way I could stick to a gluten free diet for any length of time. I went through a whole host of crazy food related emotions the first 5-6 months of adjustment. Gluten is in so much that I didn't expect. Seriously, I had to give up freaking Twizzlers! They were my favorite!

Anyway, I don't mean to paint such a glum picture. If you can stick to it, that's awesome. I don't really think anyone needs foods like pasta or bread anyway.

You have celiacs so its quite different, I'm pretty sure a symptom from eating gluten for you is unknown weight gain ( swollen guts etc) so yes cutting gluten would help you look weight spesh if your not replacing it with gluten-free products.

But if you don't have it then you exactly blame the gluten for the weight, Its purely eating over you day cals. You can still loose weight by eating it. just portion control.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    If you feel better after going off of gluten you should probably ask your Dr. for some celiac antibody tests. At least you will be closer to knowing if you should actually never eat gluten again as a matter of not destroying your intestines. Celiac is an autoimmune condition, not a trend and it is helpful to know if you are Celiac.

You have to actively be eating gluten for the test to work.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Sorry please don't think I'm against it or anything haha :laugh: i meant go for it if you feel better for it!

but Don't do it just for weight lose!
  • RockMe777
    RockMe777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started looking at a vegan diet, and it seems like all vegan friendly products (minus veggies of course) are loaded with gluten
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "The Virgin Diet" written by JJ Virgin... it basically eliminates the 7 highest intollerable foods for 21 days (gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, corn, eggs and sugar/artificial sweeteners) then re-introduces them one by one to see how your body tolerates them. One of the things I learned from reading this so far is that one food intollerance can trigger another one that wouldn't exist if you weren't eating the first intollerable food. (does that make sense?)

It has loads of recipes for every stage so you aren't left out in the cold wondering what to make now that you have eliminated so many foods. It's 21 days ... I figure it's worth a try...lol. I have the book, I'm in the process of reading it but have not started the diet yet. I know they have a group on here for it and there is probably a group for Gluten Free also.

I already have allergies to dairy and soy and I am gluten sensative (it's just easier to go gluten free for me) and yes, I noticed a huge difference once I dropped the gluten. My stomach and digestive track felt alot better and less inflamed, it's only natural to drop weight since you are eliminating a good amount of starchy carbs.

Hope this helps
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My daughter was having health issues so we tried a few different food eliminations at different times. Each food was taken out for a number of weeks and then she added it back in. We noted how she felt at both times and the clear culprit for her was gluten. She hasn't got celiac but she is definitely intolerant. Because of that our family went gluten free in our home just to make life easier for all of us. At first I wasn't very strict with myself and ate gluten when outside of the home but I have fibromyalgia and read that gluten can be an issue for FM sufferers. So I finally got serious and went completely gluten free for quite a while and realized that I too am gluten intolerant.

Initially I gained weight and I wasn't skinny to start with! I gained because I replaced the gluten crap with gluten free crap. :P It was kind of good because I can now bake birthday cakes, cookies and all the other baked goods gluten free at home so if we want something we don't feel deprived. It was bad because I gained weight from all that testing!

Now I'm back on track and the weight is coming off again because I am watching the calories and not eating all the garbage. If I didn't have to be gf I wouldn't be but I do feel much, much better! Through this little experiment I also discovered I can't eat potatoes. :( They leave me curled up in the fetal position whimpering. I'll be eating paleo before long but only because everything seems to hate me lately.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

But if you don't have it then you exactly blame the gluten for the weight, Its purely eating over you day cals. You can still loose weight by eating it. just portion control.

I tend to agree. When I first went gluten-free I was eating a lot of grilled chicken, grilled veggies, eggs, fruits. Just really healthy clean foods. If I didn't have celiac disease there is absolutely no way I would be able to stick to something so restrictive.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    But from a weight loose point of view, I was a fattest i have ever been once going gluten free I didn't realise how calorific the pasta and bread and all that was and i would just eat it as i would pasta. My advice if you looking at staying gluten free is try and avoid these types of products. Doesn't mean you have to be low carb it just means you need to have more of an understanding of what foods provide what and what does n doesn't have gluten.

Stay away from the gluten-free replacement foods, they are filled with sugar and other crap. Eat naturally gluten-free foods instead.

Paleo/Primal is one way to go.

I've been Primal since Jan 1 of this year and have been doing great.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i had pain in both my hands and feet that went away when i quite useing gluten and diary.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I just started looking at a vegan diet, and it seems like all vegan friendly products (minus veggies of course) are loaded with gluten

well they have to put something in it, If they cut meat, dairy, gluten etc etc what would be left?
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I have been off gluten for ~15 months now and never felt better. I have been able to go off some meds that I was on for years, and no longer have muscle cramps, digestive disorders (the bloating before was so bad my primary made me take a pregnancy test, although I hadn't been active for well over a year), no headaches, irritability, depression, joint pain.... I could go on and on.
    I have not been tested for Celiac for 2 reasons - 1. I have no health insurance. 2. I would have to go back on gluten for 4 weeks and I don't want to suffer like that for 4 weeks.
    I would like to one day get tested to see if I should really work to stay away from cross contamination. I don't so much now. Other than that, I would change anything I am doing. I know I am at least sensitive to it.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I went Primal (gluten and grain-free) a little over two years ago. I had severe GERD/heartburn requiring daily medication that resolved completely within a couple of months after 30 lb. weight loss. Also, my knee and thumb joints feel much better when I don't eat wheat. Eliminating wheat and grains also made weight loss much easier, since I didn't replace wheat products with gluten-free substitutes.
  • ohtobe140
    ohtobe140 Posts: 93
    Options
    I went gluten free 6 months ago and my hands and joints stopped hurting, my chronic stomach aches went away, my headaches went away, my bloating left, my exhaustion left and my brain felt less foggy for lack of a better word. I have accidentally eaten wheat twice in the past six months both times because very ill, dizzy and literally unable to stay awake and the second time I got hives all over my chest and face and had tight lungs. I miss bread and pasta but I don't miss feeling like s#@#$ every day. Gluten free is the only way for me to be. (see I made a rhyme)
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Gluten free for over a year now, and absolutely love it.
    I used to take a zantac daily (sometimes twice), my stomach/digestive system was a hot mess and I was always in pain.
    When I first switched, I stocked up on all the GF carbs - pasta, etc. and gained weight --
    Now I cook with the basics - quinoa, beans/chick peas, veggies, meats.. though I am hooked on Bakery on Main GF granola (the best granola evah!)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I have been off gluten for ~15 months now and never felt better. I have been able to go off some meds that I was on for years, and no longer have muscle cramps, digestive disorders (the bloating before was so bad my primary made me take a pregnancy test, although I hadn't been active for well over a year), no headaches, irritability, depression, joint pain.... I could go on and on.
    I have not been tested for Celiac for 2 reasons - 1. I have no health insurance. 2. I would have to go back on gluten for 4 weeks and I don't want to suffer like that for 4 weeks.
    I would like to one day get tested to see if I should really work to stay away from cross contamination. I don't so much now. Other than that, I would change anything I am doing. I know I am at least sensitive to it.

Yip same here, My doctor just told me to keep doing what i was doing as he didn't want to put me through the pain of eating it again!
  • adamsar69
    adamsar69 Posts: 3
    Options
    There is a book called "The Virgin Diet" written by JJ Virgin... it basically eliminates the 7 highest intollerable foods for 21 days (gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, corn, eggs and sugar/artificial sweeteners) then re-introduces them one by one to see how your body tolerates them. One of the things I learned from reading this so far is that one food intollerance can trigger another one that wouldn't exist if you weren't eating the first intollerable food. (does that make sense?)

It has loads of recipes for every stage so you aren't left out in the cold wondering what to make now that you have eliminated so many foods. It's 21 days ... I figure it's worth a try...lol. I have the book, I'm in the process of reading it but have not started the diet yet. I know they have a group on here for it and there is probably a group for Gluten Free also.

I already have allergies to dairy and soy and I am gluten sensative (it's just easier to go gluten free for me) and yes, I noticed a huge difference once I dropped the gluten. My stomach and digestive track felt alot better and less inflamed, it's only natural to drop weight since you are eliminating a good amount of starchy carbs.

Hope this helps

I think this is an interesting concept. I've gone GF for a few weeks now and I feel much better. I was considering Dairy free but do be perfectly honest, I'd miss things like real ice cream and cheese way too much.

I appreciate the input!!!! It's fun to hear about what other people's experiences are.