I need motivation

sherrie8929
sherrie8929 Posts: 38 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have absolutely NO desire to work out. I have a few DVDs I could use (Slim in 6, 30 Day Shred) and I like to run (but it's too hot in the afternoon so I need to get up before work to do it). I just plain DON'T WANT TO. I'm lazy, I'm enjoying relaxing before the semester starts, but I also want to reach my goal before the semester starts. Ah such a conundrum. I know when I used to run 1.5 mi 5 days a week before work, I always felt GREAT and I would eat better, my metabolism would be higher... But I can't find that motivation and it's been over a year since I ran regularly.

What do you all do to stay motivated or better yet, what do you do to even get motivated in the first place? I am struggling big time and just eating healthy isn't making me lose any weight.

ETA: I guess I could have posted this is the Motivation forum. Oops :smile:

Replies

• ilenem
    ilenem Posts: 25
    I just started mfp Aug 2nd, but I started using the WALKATHOME DVDS with Leslie Sansone about 4 weeks ago and love them because I can do them at home in very little space and get a workout that works my whole body. I feel great and am getting in the best shape I've been in years. Don't give up. You can even check it out at walkathome.com. They have a 1 mile workout you can click on right there.
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Mind over matter. It's hard when you are in that rut, and we have all been there. You have to make your self do it. When you are done you will feel better, As you know. You have to make it habit again too. Again, mind over matter. Make a goal of doing it for one week, to get you started.

Maybe it's time to get a new workout. I have lots of dvd's too. SOme are really good but i've done them before. So, to get myself out of my rut.... I got a new one (Turbo FIre). With a workout schedule, planner and all. That and seeing a lot of my facebook friends doing their workouts, some are doing the same workout as me too, get me going. ALso motivational talks with my sis.

Follow the Nike gods..... Just Do It!!!!!
  • I had the best motivation when I started - My Wedding!! Now that the wedding has come and gone, I am also struggling with motivation. A few little things I have done is write my goal weight on a sticky note and place it in a spot I will see hundreds of times throughout the day - as well as a drawing of a bathing suit I have stuck to my monitor at work - subliminal messages work wonders!

I have also found pictures of people online or in magazines that I strive to look like, and cut them out and put them on my fridge.

Joining a gym close to where you work is a good idea too. You have to drive near it on your way home so there is no excuse not to go!!

Hope this helps...
    Erin
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    motivation.. such a hard thing to come up with at times. if you did it before you can do it again.. or maybe you're bored with what you were doing and thats why you can't get motivated with it. maybe see about taking a boxing class, or tai kwon do or something equally stimulating, yet in doors to maybe get yourself moving again.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    ended up double posting sorry
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Me again.... I was just flipping thru my Turbo Fire Journal and it says,

"Not it the mood to exercise today? Just blast your favorite songs to get you pumped"

Hope this helps! Happy Monday.... come and get active with us so we can congratulate you on a job well done!!!!
  • I understand needing motivation. I found mine in my daughter. When I realized that If I don't take care of my self now, I won't be there for her in the future. Just try to think about what you want in the future and how you want to feel when you look at picture of those days. Like graduation, your wedding, playing with your children.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,999 Member
    If you lack the motivation, try appealing to your sense of logic. You know working out is good for you and will make you feel better. Use that knowledge and commit to working out whether you're motivated or not. You'll get the same results from doing the work regardless of whether you felt like doing it. This is what's worked for me, because heaven knows I haven't been motivated for many of my workouts. If I relied on motivation, I'd be in sad shape!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,999 Member
  • sherrie8929
    sherrie8929 Posts: 38 Member
    Okay that's it. I'm making tonight an early night and tomorrow morning, I will get up at 6:30 instead of 6:50 and go for a 20 minute jog. Hopefully it will feel as good as it used to and I'll want to go the next morning to. I will commit to doing this 3 times this week. Maybe even throw in a random dvd work out.

I like the Walk At Home DVDs, I think I will get one from Netflix (reason #209405 I love Netflix). I can't join a gym because I simply do not have the funds right now. But my school has a nice little fitness center and outdoor pool that I can use for a while (I have night classes, so it's hard, but I'm sure I can squeeze it in a few nights here and there). And I can do it on the nights I don't have class.

Thanks y'all, I guess I just needed to know I wasn't the only one out there that hates exercise and the answer is: suck it up and do it, ya big baby. LOL
This discussion has been closed.