Am I going to look manly?????

Options

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    stop what you are doing ...you will get bulky and go into starvation mode....

??? are you being sarcastic?

ummmm yes..

seriously this is like the most beat to death thread on MFP ..

But like others have said, unless you are using steroids you will be fine...

do compound lifts, you will thank yourself six months from now..

Well that wasn't very nice. I have not seen a single thread personally having to do with anything about lean body mass, until tonight I had never heard of it. Sorry for bothering you by posting a thread you didn't have to read.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? 140 pounds of lean mass might not be accurate. Even if it is, no, you won't look manly.

I'm 5 ft 4 and 209 lbs

Okay, 140 pounds of lean mass "might" be accurate. If you start strength training, eat right, and keep a small deficit you will lose mostly fat. But by the time you are done losing, even with doing everything right, you will have lost some of your muscle mass too.
    I wouldn't set my goal to be 120 pounds. Set your goal to look a certain way, or even to fit in certain clothes.
    You won't look manly, you don't have the testosterone for that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ummmm yes..

Well that wasn't very nice. I have not seen a single thread personally having to do with anything about lean body mass, until tonight I had never heard of it. Sorry for bothering you by posting a thread you didn't have to read.

click on the search button and type "will I get bulky" or "will I look like bodybuilder" or "don't want muscles" "dont want to be manly" you should get a lot of hits..
  • operation_cute
    Options

ummmm yes..

click on the search button and type "will I get bulky" or "will I look like bodybuilder" or "don't want muscles" "dont want to be manly" you should get a lot of hits..

just curious... does this winning attitude get you a lot of hits with the ladies? :grumble:
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I just thought 140 sounded kind of high :p but by the sound of it, it may work out to my benefit :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If you looked manly prior, then yes.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    No. Just no. You won't look manly.

/end thread

this.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    No you wont just do it you will love the results
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You won't look manly unless you try extremely hard to do so.

Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy

ETA: When you start, based on your current weight and the fact that you haven't done a lifting routine, you will probably experience "newbie gains". Don't stress when your weight stays the same or goes up a bit at the start. Just keep with the lifting and calorie counting, and you'll be fine; the number on the scale will go back down. This is my new lifting mantra:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTffo0MKuquse25Lg7U8Or9u8ZtAqQTcdO_ISz2RDgmsm024euI6g
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No. Pic on the left-155 lbs, size 12, calorie deficit and cardio. Pic on the right-155 lbs, size 6, maintenance calories and heavy lifting.
    32479585_8792.jpg
  • operation_cute
    Options
    You won't look manly unless you try extremely hard to do so.

Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy

ETA: When you start, based on your current weight and the fact that you haven't done a lifting routine, you will probably experience "newbie gains". Don't stress when your weight stays the same or goes up a bit at the start. Just keep with the lifting and calorie counting, and you'll be fine; the number on the scale will go back down. This is my new lifting mantra:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTffo0MKuquse25Lg7U8Or9u8ZtAqQTcdO_ISz2RDgmsm024euI6g

lol I get it, I get it, that thread was awesome haha
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Unless you produce/inject great amounts of testosterone like a man you will keep your girly figure, just leaner and harder. Muscle does weigh more than fat so the scale number could be higher but the look will be better.

This. While I'm not at my size goal yet, I decided to forget my weight goal and focus on a size, because hey, there's less than 5 lbs different between these two pics when I started heavy lifting (yes, I'm significantly more than 140 lbs)

NROL4Wnearendstage12.png
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh 16 ounces each The difference is that a pound of fat takes up five times the amount of space as a pound of muscle.
    Okay, I just have to say, this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If you use that logic, than there is no such thing as weight. a pound of rocks and a pound of feathers weigh the same, yet we definitely know that feathers weigh less than rocks, right? because it will take much more MASS of feathers to make that pound than it will take rocks. Thus, the same is true for fat and muscle.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.

I'm 5 ft 8 inches and when I weight train seriously I easily fit into a size 6 at 140 lbs.

When I don't weight train, but just do cardio, I'm a size 10.

And, in the same brand of clothing (Gap jeans, e.g.).

Having more muscle will make you look better and, maybe even more importantly, feel better so you'll want to be more active.

Give it 2 months...you'll love it!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i admit i haven't read all the replies, but noone appears to mention that is is not likely all your weight loss will be fat. lifting heavy and eating right will help you maintain more of the lean body mass, but it might not all stick around.
    i do agree with the other posters who say focus on clothes size not weight :-)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh 16 ounces each The difference is that a pound of fat takes up five times the amount of space as a pound of muscle.
    Okay, I just have to say, this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If you use that logic, than there is no such thing as weight. a pound of rocks and a pound of feathers weigh the same, yet we definitely know that feathers weigh less than rocks, right? because it will take much more MASS of feathers to make that pound than it will take rocks. Thus, the same is true for fat and muscle.

don't confuse density with weight & mass. brush up on your physics.
    we all understand what is meant, so quit arguing.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

ummmm yes..

just curious... does this winning attitude get you a lot of hits with the ladies? :grumble:

Why do you get offended so easily? Just WOW.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    By the way, LBM is not just muscle. It is everything in your body that is not fat. So when you lose weight, you will lose some of that 140 pounds anyway. It doesn't mean you will lose muscle, it means you will lose water weight, excess circulatory paths that used to go to fat, etc.

:flowerforyou:
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I am always amazed about the misinformation about lifting. I lift and at last check a month ago, I gained about 5 pounds of muscle and lost 11 pound of fat. I am 148 and 5'5" which puts me at the high end of the weight chart for my height.

I wear size 6 jeans, wear size small blouses and wear size 4 shorts.

Trust me, I do not look manly. I look defined but I really doubt that anyone will tap me on the shoulder and say, "Excuse me, sir."

^^^ What she said. Also, I bet its easier to deck people if they say, "excuse me SIR" if you lift weights. LOL! :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ummmm yes..

concentrate on getting bulky, and I will worry about the ladies...deal?