Zumba???

Options
Hey y'all I see lots of people on here do Zumba, I just saw a commercial for it for the first time ever and it seems like there's a lot of fancy moves. It was only a commercial so I don't want to judge the whole thing off of it. Any input??

Replies

• karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    it is broken down step by step. I am 36 yrs old with not much coordination and I am able to do it and LOVE IT!!!!
  • jessecanunez
    Options
    Its lots of fun! It really gives you a great workout without feeling like a workout. I really recommend you try it.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I can do it (and I can) then anyone can. I am truly the most un-coordinated person with absolutely no rhythm and I have a blast and burn a ton of calories while i'm at it
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba at the gym for about 6 months (1-2 times per week), and it's easily the most fun exercise class I've ever taken! If you really push yourself, you can burn an average of 500-600 calories in one hour. I have done the videos shown on TV, but I've heard that most of them start with very basic moves/dances and work up to more advanced moves (different tapes in the set).

I think it's been fun learning the dance moves...not difficult. In our gym Zumba class, there are always people of all ages and fitness levels. And everyone is able to get something out of it. You'll get better and more comfortable with the moves over time, and then it really gets fun.
  • Nday27
    Nday27 Posts: 6
    Options
    Its not difficult at all, its just getting the moves down, and if you love to dance you will love it. I've been doing it at my gym the past couple of months and i love it actually they are offering 2 classes tonight and i might go to both that just how much i love doing zumba!! :bigsmile:
  • chickadee_02
    Options
    It is so much FUN!!!The instructor I use breaks down the moves. It's like a routine. There's plenty of times she'll even say, "If you don't know it, fake it! Just do something!" It definitely gets your heart rate going and you'll be burning plenty of calories even if you're not doing the moves perfectly. You should try it! = )
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Where I work out has some Zumba classes. My wife and I took some actual dance classes over the summer, I'll have to see if the class fits into our schedule as I think it would be something that she would enjoy doing.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's not hard, its FUN! AND you get one hell of a workout doing it! I started it the end of May at my gym only once a week for an hour & LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The gym is closed now for 2 weeks on shutdown for updates, cleaning, etc....can't wait till next week when I can go back again! I think you should give it a try! Some places offer free classes, so check your area to see if you can find one & go check it out. Or just call a gym & ask if you can attend one class to see how you like it!
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun, and is a great workout!! However, to your point, I have found that it depends on your instructor, and sometimes it depends on how well-established the class is in your area. If you go into a large class and most of the people there are regulars that have been there for months and know all the routines, that can be discouraging when you first start. My advice is two-fold: First, make sure you give it a fair chance, you won't get all the steps until you've been doing it for a few weeks, but hang in there. Secondly, if you feel yourself getting too discouraged, or you feel like you're working so hard on choreography that you aren't getting a good enough workout, try a different gym/instructor if it's available in your area. It really is a lot of fun, I would definitely encourage you to try it out. If you have a heart rate monitor, be sure to wear it--I was pleasantly surprised to find how many calories I burned just dancing and having fun. Good luck!
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    A girl I know (who's quite a bit bigger than me) does it at the dance centre twice a week and loves it.

I go to dance class every week and can't get to Zumba class so I bought the dvd. It goes so fast that I end up exhausted and in need of water after 5minutes. Think the moral of that story is to do a gym based class if you can!
  • vencellia
    vencellia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Very fun and it will make you sweat its broken down into steps kumbia,salsa etc and you put those moves together and you have Zumba some Instructors add hip hop its awesome!!!! I burn over 700 calories in a hour class!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, if any of you would like to come join The Zumba Crew, we have a weekly thread for Zumba fanatics! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/111816-the-zumba-crew-w-o-8-9
  • sunnie5468
    Options
    just go do it just move youll get the hang of it i have no rythmn and can barely 2 step but i did it had fun doing it and will do it agian its a blast