You know you've been single for too long when...

Options

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've been single for a long time. Like you, I'm not everyone's cup of tea. Shaun of the Dead is the funniest movie EVER, and I'd rather cut off my right arm than miss an episode of The Walking Dead. But I'm no longer willing to compromise just to be with someone.

Someone earlier mentioned how hanging out with couples is enough to keep me single. Totally agree. My married friends have kind of awful marriages, from where I'm sitting. I don't miss that.

I go where I want to on vacation, eat what I want to for dinner, watch what I want to watch. Lonely? Sometimes. But I was lonely in my marriage, too.

I agree with the rest but going alone on a vacation is a bad bad idea.Seeing couples all around is just heartwrenching..worst feeling ever!

Depends on where you are and how you feel about that. I'm relatively recently seperated and soon to be divorced. I could go on a solo vacation TODAY and it would be without question awesome.

I probably will later this summer in fact.

i went to a very popular tourist beach spot.We'll talk after you return :smokin:
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can be single too long....??!!

Been single for 3 years (have 4 cats!!) also have holidays whenever and wherever I want, watch what I like on tv, eat what I want, go out when I want, don't have to pick up dirty socks from all over the house or make any compromises in my own home.

Rules for life:

1. Find a man you can talk to
    2. Find a man who makes you laugh
    3. Find a man who's fantastic in bed
    4. Find a man with a good job
    5. Then make sure none of these men ever meet each other!!! :wink:

I could happily live with those rules!!!
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've been single for a long time. Like you, I'm not everyone's cup of tea. Shaun of the Dead is the funniest movie EVER, and I'd rather cut off my right arm than miss an episode of The Walking Dead. But I'm no longer willing to compromise just to be with someone.

Someone earlier mentioned how hanging out with couples is enough to keep me single. Totally agree. My married friends have kind of awful marriages, from where I'm sitting. I don't miss that.

I go where I want to on vacation, eat what I want to for dinner, watch what I want to watch. Lonely? Sometimes. But I was lonely in my marriage, too.

I agree with the rest but going alone on a vacation is a bad bad idea.Seeing couples all around is just heartwrenching..worst feeling ever!

Depends on where you are and how you feel about that. I'm relatively recently seperated and soon to be divorced. I could go on a solo vacation TODAY and it would be without question awesome.

i went to a very popular tourist beach spot.We'll talk after you return :smokin:

I'll have to find this again later this summer.

I'm telling you it will not bother me a bit. I've been in a situation before where that kinda thing bothered me, and I can honestly say I'm not in that situation now.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    seeing happy couples pisses you off!!

I seriously HATE when i'm walking on a narrow path, and a couple stops in front of me to make out. MOVE THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY DAMNIT!!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When your friends start having kids, and you're just there like "oh! hey guys.. I'm here too"

(Not me, but this has happened to a few of my cousins.)
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just go to an anime convention. Sure, there are a lot of icky stickies to weed through, but you'll find plenty of people who have the same interests.

Nerds unite!! :D
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    We should have a huge nerd-side-of-the-force MFP meet up and speed dates. lol. I think a lot of couples would come out of that. :P

:drinker:
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ... the idea of your friends arranging you blind dates start to sound interesting.

LOL.

Am I the only one here who feels like they have been single forever? The problem with me is that I'm the anti girl-my-age. When I'm supposed to love partying and going out to drink and all that, I love staying at home, cooking, watching sci-fi/horror/asian movies and relaxing stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love going out every now and then but just not as an every weekend thing. Specially when all the people my age loves to get drunk and I don't even drink alcohol.

Geez, being a nerdy girl with a somehow old-fashioned mind sucks. I only want a nice guy who likes to stay at home to play games, or watch movies, or make dinner together, have a LOTR marathon, or a Doctor Who one, or X Files one...

Forever alone? I guess so, since it's impossible to stay at home and find your better half. Buuuu.

*sorry for the whining*

Single too long? No such thing. In my case, I was married too long! I've now been single for 16 years, and I love it! I'm never again going to change my status!
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    b4hwzo.jpg

Also This ^
    Hence why I'm single
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I miss being coupled, then I have a horror writers convention to go to and I remember all over again why being single kinda rocks. No feelings to get hurt, no one guilting me into calling it a night before the sun comes up and I'm surrounded by awesome people.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think, apart from when I was dating, I have been "almost single" most of my life, ex was a firefighter, 24 on 24 off, and took lots of overtime, or just plain slept 18 of the 24 hours he was home.

So, there is alone, and lonely, I am definately NOT lonely, I am happily divorced (I cheered the day it was final)

I'm also a nerd/geek, Dr Who, online Games, build my own PC's, happier in an electonics store than a shoe/clothestore... list goes on..
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    When your favorite local restaurant automatically knows it is going to be a table for one.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I just need to get laid.
    :explode:

I've got about another month before the nervous breakdown starts LOL
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hmm..
    My family has STOPPED asking if there is anyone special
    It's been so long since I've had sex I'm pretty sure they have changed it.
    The kid who ate his own boogers in hs is engaged and I'm alone.
    I've received crazy cat lady starter kits as a "joke" from friends.
    My last relationship ended 2 1/2 yrs ago when my ex left me for a stripper.
    The last time a man acknowledged my existence was when he pulled me over for speeding.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I think, apart from when I was dating, I have been "almost single" most of my life, ex was a firefighter, 24 on 24 off, and took lots of overtime, or just plain slept 18 of the 24 hours he was home.

So, there is alone, and lonely, I am definately NOT lonely, I am happily divorced (I cheered the day it was final)

I'm also a nerd/geek, Dr Who, online Games, build my own PC's, happier in an electonics store than a shoe/clothestore... list goes on..

Still married to that schedule, the sleeping, overtime and all.
    But I think I'll stay married.
    I enjoy all the "me" time.
    I don't know what I'll do with him when he retires.
    Maybe a second career :wink:
    Glad you're happy :smile:
  • cheyennekl
    cheyennekl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I went through a stage a little while ago where all I wanted was to be in a relationship, but over the last few months, I have started to really enjoy being single! It is all about perspective, as someone mentioned earlier, being single doesn't necessarily mean being lonely! :happy:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've been single for a long time. The single life is getting kind of old but hanging out with the couples that I have over the past few years makes that "choice" that much easier though. :P

Me too. :grumble:

I'm not in any rush to get married, if ever, but it would be nice to have someone to go do things with.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I have friends I travel with, but depending on what you go do, travelling alone can be great!
    Peace, quiet and not having to compromise when you want to go do something, or decide where to eat.
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think the fact that someone wants a relationship means they're unhappy being single. I'm happy being single, I can say I have been my happiest this last year. But still, I would like to find someone to fall in love with. I find it funny how when someone "complains" about wanting a love life some people automatically assume that that person is unhappy with their lives. lol.

I don't *need* a man to make me happy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy sharing my happiness with a man. Two different things. Just saying. xD

So many nerds here, for what I see. It's cool!
  • deepidixit
    deepidixit Posts: 3
    Options
    You can be single too long....??!!

Been single for 3 years (have 4 cats!!) also have holidays whenever and wherever I want, watch what I like on tv, eat what I want, go out when I want, don't have to pick up dirty socks from all over the house or make any compromises in my own home.

Rules for life:

1. Find a man you can talk to
    2. Find a man who makes you laugh
    3. Find a man who's fantastic in bed
    4. Find a man with a good job
    5. Then make sure none of these men ever meet each other!!! :wink:

Sometimes being married also leads us to an equivalent single life. Married, but there is no hope for any improvement....my life only revolves around my 2 kids and now the weight loss. I want to find all these men you just told .....LOL!