I'm done beating myself up!

Options
Hello everyone! Today started out as a normal Monday -- once again the "diet" began. I'm sure you know the feeling -- pig out over the weekend because you know that "Monday is the day". It happens most weeks.

I've been really, REALLY annoyed at myself for about 8 months now. Why, you may ask? Well, in March of last year, I decided, "this is it, I've had enough". I changed my way of eating. I did Weight Watchers on my own (Lord knows, I had all the books, charts, scales, and websites!). I did really well keeping track of everything I ate. I was really determined. My husband was so proud of me, and I was proud of myself. I kept to my new regime during two vacations. I was in total control. I lost 25 pounds between March and July. Old clothes were fitting me again and it was fun going shopping to buy new clothes. But then...I fell off the wagon. I don't know exactly when or how it happened. Gradually, I imagine. A cookie here. A cheesecake there. And now...almost a year and half to when I started, I've put back that 25 pounds...and a few extra.

I HAVE HAD IT! I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Right now, I don't know whose skin I'm in. But I'm determined to get the old one back!

I'm done beating myself up over gaining back the weight. It's done and I'm the only one to blame. I can now only look forward because I am the one in control of me.

Replies

• anderson8480
    Options
    Good luck! This website is AWESOME!!!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Good luck and with proper support and encouragement you can do this.....

Honestly, just to give a little advice, stop "dieting"!!! Make your mind up that you are in this for life and consider it a "LIFESTYLE" change instead of a diet.....

You can do it....I dont do the weekend splurges and all that because this is a lifelong choice.
  • GradStudent43
    Options
    I know how you feel!! I promised myself I would lose 20 lbs this summer, but instead I gained 10! I started graduate school and I feel out of sorts as you do having gained this weight! I don't know who's skin I am in either! I really want o succeed, and I hope this website helps, because somedays I feel so bewildered! I will try and check back and offer you encouragement. How much do you want to lose? What part of the country are you in? Stay Positive!!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This website will help you approach your goals in a different light. You don't need to be 'on a diet' here. You can just make better choices everyday that you can live with for the rest of your life.

That is what I am doing. I haven't given up all my favorite foods or stopped having fun with friends and family. I just keep track of everything I eat and make sure it is healthy choices within my limit. Then I make sure I get some form of exercise each day. Sometimes it is just a stroll during the workday, or it could be a full strenuous workout, then I can eat back those exercise calories and I never feel deprived.
  • katcassard
    katcassard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also new and am trying to take things one day at a time so I don't get overwhelmed. I am also trying to mentally recite the mantra " nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels". I do know how you feel and wish you lots of luck!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel!! I promised myself I would lose 20 lbs this summer, but instead I gained 10! I started graduate school and I feel out of sorts as you do having gained this weight! I don't know who's skin I am in either! I really want o succeed, and I hope this website helps, because somedays I feel so bewildered! I will try and check back and offer you encouragement. How much do you want to lose? What part of the country are you in? Stay Positive!!

I'm glad I'm not alone in how I feel! At the moment, I'm looking at losing 43 pounds. But I'll reassess as it comes off!

I've been in Colorado for the past three years...originally a Jersey girl, but left there ten years ago to live in England for six years!

Positivity is the key! Thank you!
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options
    You can do it and this website is a great tool. I know how you feel because I have been trying to lose the same 15lbs for over a year! But each day is a new day. We are all here to support you. YOU CAN DO IT!!

oh and GREAT advice from @Precious_Nissa - you are so right! This is no diet! This is eating healthy for L-I-F-E!
  • trisha329
    Options
    I am also new and am trying to take things one day at a time so I don't get overwhelmed. I am also trying to mentally recite the mantra " nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels". I do know how you feel and wish you lots of luck!

Thanks, Kat! I've heard that saying before...except that I've heard it as "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". That never sat well with me. I just don't like the word "skinny'. Healthy is much more....well, healthy!!
  • lifecoach
    Options
    I could have written your post!! I have been there and done exactly that! I am currently on the weight watchers program, and have been for 18 months. I have lost 40 pounds. I am a teacher and since I have been off all summer, I have not been motivated. I have gained 4 lbs. this summer! I feel that when I get back to work, and have a more structured environment, that I will begin to lose again. But who knows? I just can't get my head back in the game. I'm glad to know there are others like me. Good luck to us both!!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. I joined last week and lost 5 lbs. The food tracker helps keep my eating under control and the friends keep me motivated and accountable. You can do it... one day at a time and one calorie at a time.

1571613.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You couldn't have found a more supportive community. I wish you the best in your efforts. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • trisha329
    Options
    I am loving this site already -- and I haven't even been a member for an hour yet!! :happy:
  • trisha329
    Options
    Good luck and with proper support and encouragement you can do this.....

Honestly, just to give a little advice, stop "dieting"!!! Make your mind up that you are in this for life and consider it a "LIFESTYLE" change instead of a diet.....

You can do it....I dont do the weekend splurges and all that because this is a lifelong choice.

Great advice...thanks, Nissa!
  • trisha329
    Options
    You can do it and this website is a great tool. I know how you feel because I have been trying to lose the same 15lbs for over a year! But each day is a new day. We are all here to support you. YOU CAN DO IT!!

oh and GREAT advice from @Precious_Nissa - you are so right! This is no diet! This is eating healthy for L-I-F-E!

I know exactly how you feel! Thanks for the support!