1.5 lbs a week - is it realistic for me?

Options
I'd be interested in getting you guys' opinion on what would be realistic weight loss for me and how fast you're losing.

I'm a woman, 5"3, with a current weight of 275.6 lbs (as of this last Monday) and a goal weight of 130 lbs, I'm 22 years old, I've been heavy all my life and never lost a significant amount of weight before. I'm pretty sure I'll be going the "slow but steady" route, and getting into health and fitness gradually as to not get too overwhelmed. Does 1.5 lbs a week sound realistic?

How fast are you losing weight?

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1.5 lbs a week is very realistic. I am about 300 lbs and aim for 2 lbs a week and generally lose 2 lbs a week, but 1.5 would probably be better then I would be over my BMR but I want to lose a little faster for health reasons. When you aim at 1.5 lbs lost a week, you will probably be over your BMR. You are fine. You should take an approach that is maintainable for you over the long term.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    initially yes, as you lose weight a slower rate may be appropriate - once you're in the 100s of lbs. So a year away.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going for this and for taking a sustainable, long term approach. I think at your weight 1.5- 2lb is just right, according to what I have read here.

I've been losing that amount for 9 months and have found it not too difficult, unlike any other 'diet' i've been on. This feels more like a way of life now
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds realistic for the weight you are now. As you get closer to your goal, it will slow down. Try not to get too hung up on the numbers though. You will probably not lose in a completely linear fashion. Some weeks, you may not register a loss, and some you may even gain, despite doing everything "right". You might even lose a little faster, especially at the beginning. Try to look at the overall trend of your weight over weeks and months. Taking measurements of your body is another good way of measuring progress.
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    im basically the same stats as you, 5'3" 264.5lbs as of a few days ago.
    i originally was doing the 2 lbs a week thing, but my cals were to low and i was feeling like crud, so i upped it to 1500, and now im losing about 0.5lbs a week ish? i dont exercise at all right now, mainly cause i keep putting it off, but yea.
    depends on your activity level really.
    personally i want to lose it slow. putting on my weight didnt happen over night so the same should be true with taking it off. as well as i feel that i wont get as much loose skin as if i were to lose faster. plus i like my 1500 cals :P
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Nice to see someone who is taking the sensible route. No rush but when you get there you are more likely to stay there. 1.5lbs sounds very sensible. There may be some weeks you might not lose that but then other weeks you will lose more.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you success pictures as with a sensible attitude like yours you will definitely be a success :drinker:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a realistic goal, at least at first.

The closer ou are to your goal weight the slower it comes off but don't worry too much about that now.

What I personally did was set my food calories to lose 1lb a week then worked out on top of that without eating back those cals to make an average deficit of 750 - 1000 calories so I've been losing 1.5 - 2lbs a week
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That's very reasonable! U might see more in the beggining just don't eat too few cals.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! The first 12 weeks of my weight loss journey, I averaged a little less than 3 lbs per week. These last several weeks I've lost anywhere between 2 and 4 lbs. each week. My body is consistently responding to what I'm doing. I've found the weeks when I keep my carbs to 150 a day and my protein to over 110 a day, I lose the most weight. You can do this!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, for now it sounds realistic.

Over time though as you get closer to your goal weight, it may get slower and slower. 1.5lbs a week, when you only have 20lbs to lose, is extremely fast. For now though, it's fine.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Very realistic - well done!

As you become more mobile and can do more exercise there may be weeks when you lose more, but keep your calories realistic so it stays steady - I find it easiest to set myself as sedentary and eat back all exercsie calories, as otherwise I'd not do the exercise :embarassed:
    Exercise and hydration will also help prevent loose skin.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. Yes 1-2 lbs a week is realistic. You may well lose more some weeks but to aim for this amount is good, slow but steady wins the race!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to hear someone taking a sensible approach to their weight loss! Congrats! :drinker:

1.5 pounds a week is a very realistic target at your current weight. You may lose more for the first few weeks with a change in habits. I began with a goal of 2 pounds a week (I was heavier than you) and have just changed to 1.5 pounds a week myself as it is a more sustainable and realistic goal now.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's realistic early on in your weight loss, where you've got a high percentage of body weight to lose. As you get closer to your goal weight, it may become increasingly harder to maintain that kind of weight loss, and a 1lb, or even 0.5lb loss would be more realistic at that point.
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" 224lbs and I eat 1800 a day, exercise 3 times a week and lose roughly 1.5lbs a week (sometimes closer to 2.2lbs).

I do a mix of heavy lifting, cardio, gym classes, pilates and interval training.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    sure its realistic...in the beginning. The closer you get to your ideal weight the slower it will go. I lost 4 lbs first week. Then 3 a week for a couple of weeks then 2 a week for a couple of months. Now i'm down to my goal weight and still lost a little more. The last couple of months I lost maybe .5 a week. But looking at my stats I averaged 1.5 pounds per week over all.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    when I had nearly
    #40 to lose, I lost at an average rate of #3/week and that was by using MFP guided goals and not doing anything extreme.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    yep, in the beginning you could do that pretty easily as you can loose a lot in the beginning!

good luck!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think its realistic. I started out at 204 pounds in October and have been working hard (i have my days) but for the most part i loose about 1.4 pounds a week. If i have a really good week, i have lost has much as 2.5 pounds a week. Right now i am 155 and lost 1.8 pounds this week. Its all about determination. You can do whatever you put your mind through. Its definitely doable.