Any smokers?

Options
I'm not sure if I posted this on the right category. Mods, feel free to move it to its proper place.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask about smokers, if there are any around here, like me. I used to smoke a pack a day. Now that I'm venturing into weightloss, I tapered it down. I thought of going cold turkey but I tried that before and I packed on an extra 5lbs. Now I'm able to lessen my consumption to 5-10 sticks per day. Still, it gives me a hard time working out.

Are there any previous smokers in here that was able to cut it out completely from their lives and still achieved weightloss? I really want to completely take smoking out of my system but I'm too addicted and too anxious of gaining more weight than actually losing it.

Help :(

Replies

• Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I recently reach my 30 day mark of quitting smoking, after smoking for 10 years, roughly half a pack a day to over a whole pack on nights out.
    I will admit I smoked one ciggy the first week of quitting just because I couldn't stop thinking about it tbh. I quit cold turkey. It was rough, I didn't really feel physical withdrawals, but the mental withdrawls are the worse. I'm thinking about running down to a convience store and getting a pack lol, I think about it alot actually but I'm excercising self control and will continue to do so. I will admit I put five pounds on this last month, I noticed myself eating candy and sweets alot more, just have something to do with my mouth lol. Any where you read though it says that it is better to put on those 5lbs then to continue smoking, those 5lbs can be lost . My workouts have greatly improved already, I'm not gasping for breath like I used to and it is nice not smell like ciggys anymore.

Feel free to add me so we can support one another on weight loss and quitting smoking, you are not alone on this! :smile:
  • Lbriggs82
    Lbriggs82 Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi. I know your pain! I gave up smoking just over 7 weeks ago. It is HARD! I'm using the patches, but I've had cravings for sweet things that I never would've had when I was smoking.
    The way I had to view it was like this - the cravings for food will go away in time, just like the cravings for nicotine will. I'd rather put on a few pounds of weight and be on my way to nice healthy lungs again than use weight loss as an excuse to not stop smoking.
    The days I overate, I made it a goal to exercise more. 7 weeks in, I've lost the few pounds I'd put on - so yeah, it set me back a few weeks, but I feel SO much better for not smoking. I'm getting more out of my workouts because I can actually fill my lungs with air now without them hurting.

Stuff the small amount of weight you may put on. Instead of reaching for a cigarette, do a 1 minute plank. As someone who hates planks, this works a treat for me. :)

Stick with it and don't give up. Accept a small bit of weight gain as a much lesser evil than all that tar in your lungs.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :) X
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one who has sweet cravings after quitting, what is up with that? And congrats on quitting and your weight loss!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I've been off them two years last week, right bang in the middle of my journey to a healthier me. Thought if I was gonna do it go the whole way, I just watched what I ate and really upped my exercise

I also used the champix tablets and I can't recommend them enough
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've been meaning to ask about this for a while.

I used to smoke every day, but since getting on the healthy bandwagon I've naturally cut down in a big way. I will purposely not smoke on gym days, and I hate smoking inside so I've given up on that altogether. Unfortunately, my partner also smokes and isn't ready to give up (which I'd love to do together), so I do still indulge when we go out (which tends to be a lot of cigarettes in one night).

I think everyone needs a vice, and if you're cutting down, then brilliant!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I treated stopping smoking as my priority. And I stopped. I continued to lose weight as I didn't use food as a replacement.

It is easy to stop when you are fully committed to putting your all into stopping. For me, it was the moment when I was starting to get serious about my weight loss that I decided I needed to give up smoking for real. I was going on cycling trips and huffing and puffing up hills and then having a *kitten* when I got to the top. Nothing makes you feel more like a fool as smoking while trying to exercise.

Make stopping smoking your priority. If you gain 5lbs, who cares if it means you have stopped for life. 5lbs is easy to lose again. Don't use "being scared of gaining weight" as yet another excuse not to stop.

GOOD LUCK. And read Allen Carr.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I quit and lost 24 kg's at a similar time.

Quitting smoking is EASY, its NOT hard, anyone can do it. If you want it enough you will do it!

If health is not motivational enough to quit try reading this (my thread):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/770883-my-success-results-of-quitting-smoking

I wrote a blog a while back about my experiences and thoughts quitting smoking. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/goonas/view/kicking-the-habit-425900
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut it out completely. I went down from a pack a day to 2-4 cigarettes, one or two days a month, but it is not 100% out of my life completely. After every time I smoke for a day I say "this is the last time," but it never is. As for 'quitting smoking is EASY, it's NOT hard, anyone can do it," maybe that's true for you, but it is not true for me so keep your generalizations to yourself [goonas].
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went cold turkey and I gained. I would be prepared to exercise a lot, drink a lot of water and that will help with the cravings. You can also get some sugar free mints to help you for a week or so. Now the weight is pretty well gone and I run about 125 miles per month.

Good luck.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    As for 'quitting smoking is EASY, it's NOT hard, anyone can do it," maybe that's true for you, but it is not true for me so keep your generalizations to yourself [goonas].

It is EASY, those that think its not are not as committed to wanting to quit - that is all - you may think you REALLY want to, but you don't - harsh fact I am afraid.

People go into quitting, thinking its going to be hard, its that what makes people think its hard - they have a preconception in their head before they start!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    if you are on a deficit it shouldn't gain. smoking increases your BMR due to the increased heart rate it causes after you smoke, which is also the reason it causes heart disease. so you could monitor your weight and if it starts going up you could increase your deficit.

also quitting may make you want to eat for oral gratification. sugar free gum and frequently brushing your teeth may help.

its not quitting smoking that causes the weight gain. its eating more calories than you burn.
  • alfonso34
    alfonso34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago and haven't touched or wanted one since. Like the reply above, I read Allen Carr's EASY WAY and can't recommend it highly enough.

I didn't gain weight, but I worked pretty hard at my diet and exercise to stay even for a while. But seriously, even if you do gain a couple of pounds you absolutely need to prioritise quitting.

Read the book, it wakes you up to everything you already know but are in denial about.

Quitting is easy, the worst you might feel is a bit grumpy for a couple of weeks (some people would have you believe it's like Trainspotting!). But you know the whole time this is just the tricksy nicotine leaving your body.

Do it, being a non smoker is MARVELLOUS! Good luck
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    As for 'quitting smoking is EASY, it's NOT hard, anyone can do it," maybe that's true for you, but it is not true for me so keep your generalizations to yourself [goonas].

It is EASY, those that think its not are not as committed to wanting to quit - that is all - you may think you REALLY want to, but you don't - harsh fact I am afraid.

People go into quitting, thinking its going to be hard, its that what makes people think its hard - they have a preconception in their head before they start!

ask my husband and kids how easy it is when I become the enraged, screaming, batsh*t crazy monster from hell that you can't even approach with reasonable questions like "what's for dinner," without getting your head bashed in; who your kids live in fear of because of the absolute off the wall unpredictability. I even get suicidal. Scouts honor, it really is that bad for me. You're lumping the whole of the population into your "quitting is easy" mindset. I happen to have mental illness factors that change the scene quite a bit. You can't lump the whole population into it because there are people like me... for the first 7 years after my diagnosis both my GP and my psychiatrist encouraged me NOT to quit because they knew how detrimental it would be to my mental health.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    (Deleted double post)
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I quit 200 days ago. For me, quitting was my top priority. I did not worry about weight and if I needed to suck on candy to not smoke, that is what I did. That being said, I did gain 20 – 30 pounds so now I’m here trying to lose it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago (January 2012) and didn't gain weight...you just really have to focus on NOT replacing cigarettes with food,. I highly recommend starting some program or set fitness goal (for me it was C25K) that will allow you to see and feel the changes in your lung function immediately. If you can...sign up for a 5K or a bike event, or check out the American Lung Association stair climb events (I forgot to check if you are in the U.S.?). It helps to have a goal you're working towards.

I tried Chantix in the past and the side effects (for me - psychotic nightmares) were not worth it. This last time, I used the patch for a short time, and that helped take the edge off for the first few weeks.

At this point, I'm thankful every single day that I am free from that stinky, money sucking, life controlling habit

Oh, and get the QuitNow app for smartphones. It gives you updates on your health improvements and keeps track of how much money you've saved...great motivation! Reward yourself at little milestones (buy yourself a treat with the money you saved from not buying smokes!)

GOOD LUCK! You can totally do this!!
  • nikilis
    Options
    I quit 200 days ago. For me, quitting was my top priority. I did not worry about weight and if I needed to suck on candy to not smoke, that is what I did. That being said, I did gain 20 – 30 pounds so now I’m here trying to lose it.

how many did you smoke a day? your BMR must have dropped quite a bit :)
  • nikilis
    Options
    I quit over a year ago (January 2012)

I quit 22nd of april 2012 so just a bit more than a year, I was smoking a pack or more a day partly because it was cheap in mexico, and I was living in a "vice" city.

now im in nz and cigarettes are $15 a pack here. aint nobody got money for that. theres no way could hand over that much cash for cigarettes.

I just stopped. no cravings. no nothing.
  • kweni16
    kweni16 Posts: 30
    Options
    OMG once again I'm not alone! This forum is really starting to grown in me I love you guys!

Cravings, grumpiness, etc. I guess I'd be willing to go through that since I get those every month anyway, if you know what I mean lol.

I've heard of Champix but I find it a bit expensive. It costs more than a dollar per tablet here and I believe I would have to take that twice a day so I crossed it out from my option.

I'll probably continue to taper down until I completely get rid of it. My goal is to be able to be smoke-free before June ends. It may be easy to quit for some but an addiction is never that easy to get rid of.

As for the Allen Carr book, I'll hit the bookstore tomorrow after work and get a copy!

Thanks guys! Really. I appreciate it
  • Brenda1636
    Brenda1636 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting smoking was all mental. I will occasionally have one once in a great while but that is finally not even happening often. So I don't know if I can say I quit cold turkey since the occasionally one does find its way to me...but that is maybe a handful of times a year. But it is the best thing I ever did. It bothered me whenever I would usually have one...getting in the car, on my lunch break, on the way to my car after work, after the gym, etc. But honestly, when you see how much faster you can improve your fitness goals you won't worry about it at all. Sure, people gain wait after but if you are striving to lose it, you will lose it. It takes discipline just like anything else.