negative net.

Options

Replies

• Kajay
    Kajay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I am doing good to reach my base calorie intake in day not mention what I burn through exercise.
    I try and eat plenty if fruits, vegetables and nuts through out the day, but I'm just not hungry.

my weight has stayed within a three pound range for several months, but I have been seeing inches come off.
    I am not food motivated person and have problems eating if I'm not hungry.

What is suggested for this?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A couple protein shakes after workouts can add quite a few calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I am doing good to reach my base calorie intake in day not mention what I burn through exercise.
    I try and eat plenty if fruits, vegetables and nuts through out the day, but I'm just not hungry.

my weight has stayed within a three pound range for several months, but I have been seeing inches come off.

Calorie dense foods - full fat dairy, red meats, fatty fish, nuts, seeds, etc.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is unhealthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oh good, loads of people who dont understand how MFP is designed to work....
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    shakebrush_zpsfd894e59.gif
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    okay umm i have -320 calories in my net. Some people say good some say bad. i aim to exercise more than i eat (i want the net to be negative) is this bad?

Always meet your net calorie goal. It is a GOAL, you should hit it.

Since when has missing a goal been a good thing? You have to hit it, it's that number for a reason.

.......And here's the reason

MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. When you add exercise you make the deficit larger. Too large a deficit promotes muscle loss.

You can choose to lose fast (negative net number) ..... this will not decrease your body fat % as much as you want (because you are losing muscle too) OR you can choose to lose in a healthy (moderate pace) ... to keep muscle and lose mainly fat. Your choice.

"The number" is the calories your body uses for basic function ... heart, lungs, kidneys.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Mfp could be overestimating your calorie burn. I like to consider what I have actually eaten and make sure it is reasonable. Many people here say to just eat back half of the perceived calories burned.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Mfp could be overestimating your calorie burn. I like to consider what I have actually eaten and make sure it is reasonable. Many people here say to just eat back half of the perceived calories burned.

That may well be the case, but even so most people won't (and certainly shouldn't) end up with a negative net. Even if the number is drastically over estimated.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. One or two days of negative net isn't going to hurt you.
  • Kajay
    Kajay Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been trying to incorporate more red meat. I cannot eat fish or a lot of dairy. Nuts and seeds are usually what I eat when I want a snack and I still come short.

I find that I have to put effort into finishing a designated portion of anything. After a couple of bites I'm fully. This has been a life long thing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been trying to incorporate more red meat. I cannot eat fish or a lot of dairy. Nuts and seeds are usually what I eat when I want a snack and I still come short.

I find that I have to put effort into finishing a designated portion of anything. After a couple of bites I'm fully. This has been a life long thing.

If you are having trouble eating more, the other option is to greatly reduce the amount of exercise you do.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like to log my exercise. I exercise a lot but my doctor and dietician have put me on a plan to eat 1200 calories no matter how much I exercise. Some days I am netting -1000. I feel great and my last check up was great. I still have lots of energy and I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week.

What works for one may not work for the other. You should talk to your doctor. He/She knows you much better than a bunch of strangers on the internet.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1,200 1,493 - 1,335 158

I'm not starving & I'm not going to eat more just because it's a number. I'm not hungry so why should I eat more? Think of it that way. ONLY eat when you need to eat, not because a number tells you to do so.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm not a believer in a negative net. negative nets are generally not healthy. i WAS the person with the negative net, i was losing my hair, tired, and weak. just my story though.
  • RLC2lady
    RLC2lady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Congratulations, you're anorexic. Burning off more than you take in means your body will not have enough to sustain itself. And by "sustain" I mean your "keep your organs functioning properly." Time to go see a doctor.

Don't be an asshat.

AGREED! This is a place for positive encouragement and effective advice. Thanks :)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think maybe it would be more help to you to log your exercise calories burned as 1 calorie per work out. This makes it easier to keep track of your proper macros and prevents the over estimation of calories burned. Try to hit your set goal for calories (or as close as you can get) and maybe lower cardio a bit and go for weights instead.

I sometimes end up with a negative total at the end of a day the odd time, but this is only when we go and do 6-8 hour hikes as naturally you burn up a hellish amount of calories. But i would never go to the gym with them to burn off 1200 calories so effectively i burn off everything i eat within the day.

I try to view this site as a guideline. I started here to learn what foods contain both healthy and unhealthy, and correct portions. If i didn't use this i would not log the fact that i took my dogs for a 2 hour walk and did a 45 min kettle bell class at the gym. When you do for example a 45 min run and log it on here take the calorie burned amount out and put 1 in. It will still log how long of a certain activity you have done. I promise you if you hit your calorie goals MFP sets you will be healthier then obsessing about burning off 1200 calories before you eat them. Its a somewhat slippery slope to be on as the less you weigh the less calories exercise burns on here.

The post about anorexia was worded in a rather harsh manner, however i can totally see the point they were trying to make.

Good luck xx
  • erickirb
    Options
    This is why I don't like to log my exercise. I exercise a lot but my doctor and dietician have put me on a plan to eat 1200 calories no matter how much I exercise. Some days I am netting -1000. I feel great and my last check up was great. I still have lots of energy and I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week.

What works for one may not work for the other. You should talk to your doctor. He/She knows you much better than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Horrible. With a negative net you should be losing like 3+ lbs/week. If you are losing less than you are eating more than you think, burning less, or your metabolism is slowing down.

Please get a second opinion, 1200 cals is about what my 2 year old eats/day and he weighs around 30lbs.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1,200 1,493 - 1,335 158

I'm not starving & I'm not going to eat more just because it's a number. I'm not hungry so why should I eat more? Think of it that way. ONLY eat when you need to eat, not because a number tells you to do so.

Hunger is not a very good indication of your body's nutritional requirements... a day her or there with nets below 1000 are no issue, but if it is the norm you are doing much more harm to your body than good.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1,200 1,493 - 1,335 158

Hunger is not a very good indication of your body's nutritional requirements... a day her or there with nets below 1000 are no issue, but if it is the norm you are doing much more harm to your body than good.
    agreed