outside hip pain

Options
So I have had issues with my hip for a long time and I though it was just because of my weight but lately I have been losing weight and doing stretches and the outside of my hip still has been hurting. I have googled this several times, but for some reason today I decided to google, "what is the tendon that goes from the hip to the knee." and it lead me to a 2 minute video regarding that tendon:

It's called the IT band

they showed a woman foam rolling on the outside of the affected leg/hip and the doctor said,"if you do this every day I promise your pain will go away."

I ran out and bought one of these foam rollers and the pain went away in like 5 minutes

Replies

• kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have that problem. This is what I do:

Lying Glute Stretch
    Lie face-up on the floor with your knees and hips bent. Cross your right leg over your left so that your right ankle sits across your left thigh. Grab your right knee with both hands and pull it toward the middle of your chest until you feel a comfortable stretch in your glutes. Hold for 30 seconds, then repeat on the opposite side. Repeat twice for a total of three sets—and several times a day if you’re really tight.

Thanks for the info about the foam roller. I had never heard of that before. :smile:
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    yea, i've done that stretch along with other ones that used to do the trick but today the tightness was kinda scary so I knew I needed something more.

most gyms have foam rollers near the yoga mats and bouncy balls.

I bought mine at target 25 for a short one. it's 35 for a long one.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you lie on your side on the roller and sort of steamroll it with your hip area? That was my interpretation of what the internets was telling me to do.
  • Healthy_Chelsea
    Healthy_Chelsea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tried the foam roller today and I felt a nice difference :)

My hip problem was mainly cause by running, weak muscles and poor running form.
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get a hip type pain anytime I pull my foot up (ie: putting a sock or shoe on) or when I sit on our brick porch for extended periods of time. My BF makes fun and says it's called getting old, but my neighbor said I should possibly get it checked out or even have my hips realigned by a chiropractor (I am so scared of them). I am very tiny framed and carried two good size kids in me 9 months each...that can throw it off yes, but my youngest is 4 1/2 why would it start hurting now??

the pain is more on the inside of my hip where the leg meets my body, any suggestions??
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Runner's lunge. Sounds like TFL
  • bgibson03
    bgibson03 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have this and have been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I've seen a massage therapist, chiropractor, and phsyio for it. If you have it chronically, unfortunately it will always be there.. you will just have flare ups. If you're using the foam roller correctly, it is typically extremely painful for the first week or two. There are some great excercises and vidoes on youtube for it... look up myofacial release for his bursitis or IT band. I recommend using it for your lower back, thighs, and bum too.. the more muscles you can release and stretch out the more likely it is to help you long term. But you do have to do it every day.. if you quit it will come back.
  • ukaggirl
    ukaggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get a hip type pain anytime I pull my foot up (ie: putting a sock or shoe on) or when I sit on our brick porch for extended periods of time. My BF makes fun and says it's called getting old, but my neighbor said I should possibly get it checked out or even have my hips realigned by a chiropractor (I am so scared of them). I am very tiny framed and carried two good size kids in me 9 months each...that can throw it off yes, but my youngest is 4 1/2 why would it start hurting now??

the pain is more on the inside of my hip where the leg meets my body, any suggestions??

Try this: http://voices.yahoo.com/relieve-hip-pain-running-10-minute-exercise-8434189.html?cat=50

I had the same pain that made it difficult to walk and it would always get worse if I sat on a hard surface for an extended time. It was kind of upper inner thigh pain (more the front of my pelvis to my upper thigh) if that makes sense. I do these stretches every day and I no longer have any hip pain.
  • bgibson03
    bgibson03 Posts: 4
    Options
    Watch these vidoes.. these are exercises my physio prescribed me for my bursitis with the foam roller.. work wonders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3O3sAvghqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8Mcz0JXqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edtQFM0XZ-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBjcu8yycg
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is what I have. the line where the thigh meets the hip pretty much.