Porridge for tea bad idea?

Options
fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
Will eating porridge for my tea make me lose weight slower than a high protein low carb option, assuming calories are the same? Too many carbs late in the day??

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    For me yes, I'm carb-sensitive. However, if you normally eat a good amount of carbs, it's fine :) just make sure you eat more veggies tomorrow hehe
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    What is carb sensitive and how do you know if you are carb sensitive?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes if the calories are the same you will still lose weight.

Eating carbs at night is fine.
  • Silver14
    Options

It's when your body has trouble digesting carbs and/or you have insulin problems.

I started finding out by taking tests online as well as one by my docter.

Signs are things like being bloated and fatiqued after eating carbs, 3pm crash, diarrhea etc

Also if you have diabetes or obesity in your family your more likely to be carb sensitive. Google it for a online quiz.
  • fknlardarse
    Options

It's when your body has trouble digesting carbs and/or you have insulin problems.

Signs are things like being bloated and fatiqued after eating carbs, 3pm crash, diarrhea etc

Also if you have diabetes or obesity in your family your more likely to be carb sensitive. Google it for a online quiz.
    Thanks, my guess is I'm not carb sensitive x
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Yes if the calories are the same you will still lose weight.

Eating carbs at night is fine.
    Great thanks!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Sounds like a wheat intolerance?
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think its too too easy to get confused (and/or indoctrinated) by vociferous proponents of various schools of thought. Low fat was the thing for a while, now its still low carb, and then there's the eat 6 meals a day, vs the "it doesn't really matter", and the "cals-in-vs-out" branch against the "keep macro percentage levels within certain parameters). There's some (but not definitive) research backing each of these schools of thought. BUT, I think as any of them relate to you as a specific individual, they are just educated guesses at best.

For me, the low carb thing doesn't really work. That being said, I try to keep a balance because carbs can easily add up to lots of calories. You need to experiment and find what works best for you. But know this - any change you make to improve your health will most likely be a good change that adds up. And I also think that when you start getting down to figuring out which of the potential lifestyle/health-plan schemes you choose is better, then you are really just talking about diminishing margins of difference. So I mean that any of these programs will likely get you there, and the fine-tuning will then offer up maybe marginal 10-15% differences (which most people shouldn't really worry about unless they are ultra-athletes). What matters more is being consistent and constantly trying to improve and grow. And sticking to a program that you like is the key to long term success.

so - eating porridge, if that is what fits in your lifestyle is superb.
  • Silver14
    Options

Sounds like a wheat intolerance?

Maybe for some, not for me! It's grains, even quinoa and brown rice I feel so sluggish and bloated after :( sad because I love them, but I'm learning to love things like avocadoes, eggs, meat and veggies more :)
  • Silver14
    Options
    I think its too too easy to get confused (and/or indoctrinated) by vociferous proponents of various schools of thought. Low fat was the thing for a while, now its still low carb, and then there's the eat 6 meals a day, vs the "it doesn't really matter", and the "cals-in-vs-out" branch against the "keep macro percentage levels within certain parameters). There's some (but not definitive) research backing each of these schools of thought. BUT, I think as any of them relate to you as a specific individual, they are just educated guesses at best.

For me, the low carb thing doesn't really work. That being said, I try to keep a balance because carbs can easily add up to lots of calories. You need to experiment and find what works best for you. But know this - any change you make to improve your health will most likely be a good change that adds up. And I also think that when you start getting down to figuring out which of the potential lifestyle/health-plan schemes you choose is better, then you are really just talking about diminishing margins of difference. So I mean that any of these programs will likely get you there, and the fine-tuning will then offer up maybe marginal 10-15% differences (which most people shouldn't really worry about unless they are ultra-athletes). What matters more is being consistent and constantly trying to improve and grow. And sticking to a program that you like is the key to long term success.

so - eating porridge, if that is what fits in your lifestyle is superb.

This^ . Everyone's different, do what works :)
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Well I had porridge for my tea and was SO full for absolutely ages, that lovely satisfying full not uncomfortable. It was only 280 calories, love it. And what's even better is that I had put 3 lbs of water on after a cheat day at a BBQ on the weekend and when I woke up this morning it had all come off!
    I love porridge!
    And before you all have a go at me I had plenty chicken and steamed veg for lunch, banana with breakfast etc etc. so nice and balanced overall :love:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I am lazy, I always have porridge for tea..........!!!!

Its quick, feels me up and does the job.....: )

I know variety is key, But sometimes a hot bowl of porridge when its cold outside is yummy!!!!