Success With 1200 Calories?

Options
Anyone have success with it? I've heard people say its bad to consume that little but I've been eating 1200 calories for the past week and I feel great! Never hungry! Been eating clean foods and making sure I get a large mixture of fruits and veggies with lean meats and fish

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    ya for about 5 min. You do lose initially but it really is not sustainable or all that good for you. You can accomplish the same thing eating your TDEE -20%
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ya for about 5 min. You do lose initially but it really is not sustainable or all that good for you...

Sincerely wondering why you feel it's not sustainable or all that good for you?
  • TashaUCanDoIt
    TashaUCanDoIt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been set at 1250 calories... depending on what I do that day determines how much I eat. But I do stick to the 1250 calories on days when I'm not active and I be just fine. Usually If I hit the gym for a good hour I will boost my intake to about 1500 calories...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'll post the link to the exact same thread you started a few minutes prior to this one..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998118-success-with-1200-calories?page=1#posts-15274201
  • alisaprince1
    Options
    I started out at 850 calories (I know, starvation) anyways upon studying i realized that was way to low so I do 1200a day and have been for almost two months. I exercise and eat healthy and I feel great.I have lost 31 lbs in two Months, actually a little less. I'm not tired or drained,I actually feel better than I have in years:) I do not think this is am unreasonable calorie goal for my height and gender.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Just eating 1200 blows. Like seriously. I didn't find netting it to be all that difficult, though.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just eating 1200 blows. Like seriously. I didn't find netting it to be all that difficult, though.

Netting it is a LOT easier for me... I usually can do 1400-1500 no prob, but 1100-1200 without any moving around just feels too restrictive for me
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    I started with eating 1200 calories and I did lose weight in the beginning. But then my weight loss came to a standstill so I upped my calories to 14500-1600 and I'm losing on a weekly basis now. I think it depends on the individual though and how much weight you have to lose.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It works for some people. Doesn't work for others. It has worked well for me for the past 8 months, but I am 49, 5'6", and fairly sedentary. 1200 is only a 400-500 calorie deficit for me.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I was just like you, feeling great on 1200 calories for quite a while, and it helped me lose 20 pounds. But then I was always hungry and was constipated, and my weight loss stalled. I upped to 1500, then 1600, and am still losing and feel much better. I think if you want to do it while you still feel great, then go for it. But eventually, you're going to feel not so great. Or your weight loss will stall.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience, but i've lost all my weight on 1200.
    I dont work out, per se, but do Nordic Walking three times per week and I don't lift - yet.
    However, If I do take on more strenuous workouts then I will increase protein and a few carbs to compensate.
    But, so far, 1200 is good. I do occasionally feel hunger, but my past life was built on huge portions, and so I guess its not real hunger, just appetite.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    mine is even lower than 1200 and yes i have success i just make sure i eat back my exercise calories and yes i have had success as you can see
  • ERAY13
    ERAY13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are seeing success with 1200 calories, then follow that until you plateau. Every body is different. And you really can get a lot of nutrients from that number, depending on the foods you choose. If you eat clean and cut down on grains, it's a healthy amount of food. When you plateau, just change up your workout, add higher weight, or have a cheat week. It's all about tricking your metabolism.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Five months, almost sixty pounds, 1200 calories.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Being hungry isn't the only negative side effect of not eating enough. I know there are a few people who swear by it (check how long they've been on here though, maybe a few months) but for a majority of people that is just not enough food. I ate 1200 calories or less for like 2 months and lost 20 lbs pretty quickly BUT I was exhausted, irritable, had no interest in my BF (poor guy), and had trouble concentrating in school or at work. I thought about food more when I was trying to eat that little than when I was eating like a pig.

I eat between 1600 and 1900 calories a day and I've been losing inches like crazy. I don't focus on my weight anymore and I'm generally a lot happier. I don't freak out every time a social eating event occurs. I don't skip out on foods I enjoy. I just eat (somewhat sensibly) and enjoy life.

I don't want to disrespect people who swear by 1200 calories a day but in my personal experience, it's just not enough food for a long term lifestyle. I see no reason to restrict yourself like that when you can eat so much more and still get results.
  • StarKimmy
    StarKimmy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Almost 50 pounds lost since Jan 1st.. I'm 5'6" and started out at 180 and now down to 132.. netting 1200 a day and giving myself cheat meals every now and again.. haven't seen a plateau and will be hitting my target soon..
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy (not a small guy either) and I tried a sub 1200 cal diet (while also exercising and not eating back cals). it actually worked and I got past a plateau after 1 week. I decided to keep rolling with it and then the following week my weight loss stopped and I felt like I had a really bad flu (I think I was eating so little my immune system was not functioning). I then started eating normal and felt better almost immediately, and actually am still losing a little. it was a good experiment to see how my body reacts but I am thoroughly satisfied, having tried it, that its not the way to go.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Started out netting 1460 and gradually got down to netting 1200. I'm currently netting 1240 (goal for 1 lb loss per week). Never had an actual plateau in the 2+ years I've been doing this. My weight loss has certainly slowed this year, but with less than 20 lbs. to goal, that's expected. I net that level though, and depending on my workouts, can eat up to 2800 per day. Typically though, I eat in the 1600 to 1800 range. This amount is also VERY close to what TDEE - 20% would be so I really don't get all the hate for eating 1200 net.

i-DprdD6t-S.jpgi-PmC5W8K-S.jpg
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories plus eating back my exercise calories for 3 months and have lost 35 pounds. I eat whatever I want as long as its in my calories. Like today for example, I am having a cup of ice cream and will still be within my goals. But I am only 5'3 so maybe that's why I can eat lower.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There's a shLit storm coming
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!