Frustrated

Options
Hi, I am a 5'8" 32 year old woman. I have been pretty slim most of my life however after 30 it has become more difficult to stay that way. A year ago I was in the best shape of my life with a gym membership, attending 4-5 classes a week. Then I was forced to get a desk job due to financial circumstances. With the # of hours that I work plus 2 kids and the distance from my home to the gym I gave up my membership and got lazy. I went from 145 lbs to 155 lbs which is where I am now. I looked for a long time at alot of different home programs before deciding on Jillian's Total body revolution. I have been doing this religiously and haven't missed any days except in week 3 I was sick with the flu for 3 days and just repeated the whole week. I just started week 9 yesterday. I love this program however i am not noticing any results. The scale has not moved, my measurements have SLIGHTLY gotten smaller in the waist, arms, and chest but my thighs are measuring bigger than they were when I started. I am so discouraged that I could just cry. I am not following the meal plan, but I eat pretty well 95% of the time. I am drenched in sweat after every workout and I notice that I feel stronger and have more energy but my pants are not looser, they are tighter. This is so discouraging. Has anyone ever had this happen to them or is it just me?

Replies

• getrealforme
    Options
    I am also doing Body Revolution and love it. I have had success with it. I only needed to lose around 13 pounds, and I'm sure by the end of the program I will. I lost 5 lbs on the Jump Start week. I do not follow her eating plan, but I do net 1200 calories and do not go over. The work outs themselves only burn close to 200 calories or so, not a high burn. I would suggest getting a fitbit, or jawbone up, and make sync it to MFP. It will give you alot better idea of what your actual BMR, and TDEE are. I have the Jawbone Up, and love it. My BMR, and TDEE is alot lower than what the online caculators estimated. When you sync with MFP it really makes it easy. It tells you exactly how many calories to eat to get to your goal.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful response!! :)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Really? Reposting already?

The answer is the same as posted in the other thread: count your calories, measure your food.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    If people are going to be rude please be rude on someone elses post. I am here to be positive and hopefully helpful to people and I have not time or energy to deal with people who are rude and ignorant! Thanks!
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? If you open your diary that will help everyone with their responses.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    I am not sure how to open my diary. Sorry, new to this.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Scale weight is about diet, not exercise. It's very easy to out-eat a good exercise program, but you can't out lazy a good diet. Get your calories in check... log every bite, every sip. Weigh and measure.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    I have been doing that just not on here. New to this but I do journal my food. I don't eat bad. I am not trying to lose a ton of weight, I just want the small layer of fat over the muscle to be gone. I have heard that this is the hardest part to get rid of and I'm ready for the challenge. Im pretty sure I just have to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    And thank you for the helpful response!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I have been doing that just not on here. New to this but I do journal my food. I don't eat bad. I am not trying to lose a ton of weight, I just want the small layer of fat over the muscle to be gone. I have heard that this is the hardest part to get rid of and I'm ready for the challenge. Im pretty sure I just have to keep doing what I'm doing.

It is. The leaner you get the harder it is to lose, so your diet has to be that much more on target. Total cals are as important as ever, but macros become more important the leaner you are.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If people are going to be rude please be rude on someone elses post. I am here to be positive and hopefully helpful to people and I have not time or energy to deal with people who are rude and ignorant! Thanks!
    Agreed. Seems like there are a lot of perfect people on these forums. Comments like that aren't necessary.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Really? Reposting already?

The answer is the same as posted in the other thread: count your calories, measure your food.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

If people are going to get worked up over answers like this, you best just leave the forums now. Pointing out the obvious is not the same as being mean, harassing, or being unsupportive. And when you post the same question multiple times you are wasting our time.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    There are multiple categories on the forums that I was unfamilliar with I didn't know which one to post in to get the best response. I was not trying to waste anyones time and I guess it is just me but I would try to guide the person to the right direction rather than make them feel stupid for posting the same thing more than once. I was not looking for different answers, just trying to make sure the post was in the right spot. I have since deleted the other posts and now it should only show up once. Thanks again for your time and helpful responses.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    There are multiple categories on the forums that I was unfamilliar with I didn't know which one to post in to get the best response. I was not trying to waste anyones time and I guess it is just me but I would try to guide the person to the right direction rather than make them feel stupid for posting the same thing more than once. I was not looking for different answers, just trying to make sure the post was in the right spot. I have since deleted the other posts and now it should only show up once. Thanks again for your time and helpful responses.

No one is intentionally trying to make you feel stupid. Some people are more sensitive when people are direct. Forums are pretty impersonal, so there is a greater likelihood that people will be direct and not consider the tone of their post (which can generally be read multiple different ways). Posters need to have some modicum of tact, and readers need to have thicker skin than they do IRL.

I get what you're saying about helping people to the right forum, etc etc. That's great, and sometimes it happens. But given that the vast majority of help on these forums is given by a relatively small group of people (compared to the number of people asking questions), we don't always have the patience to be as polite and helpful as everyone would like us to be.