NSV - running outside in daylight

Options
Carfoodel
Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
I have my first 10k since I lost this much weight coming up and I know the only way to run a race outside is to run outside - at one time I would have just used the treadmill as I still feel huge and am haunted by being taunted about my size when I ran outside before - so I have been running at 6am and picking places that aren't busy.

Today I was short on time and needed to walk the dog and get my practice run in - so thought I would combine the two but by the time I left the house it was lunchtime. I took the dog up our (very busy) local trail and just did loads of practice runs and brisk walks and guess what?

I didn't curl up and die, nobody laughed at me - although I did get loads of encouraging smiles and people saying "well done" and I realised that instead of being mortified at my loud breathing as I pushed myself I was actually kind of pleased that even if I was breathing hard, I was still moving and the 10k seems a bit less daunting - I feel kinda brave that I left the security of the wee track just behind my house and went running up and down hills and along proper trails.

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Same boat!! I dreaded running where people could see me and than when I finally did, it amazed me how much support others would show. Good luck on your race!! I just finished my first one 2 weeks ago, what a great feeling. :happy:
  • Carfoodel
    Options
    Thanks :) - and well done on finishing your first race - have you got the bug now?
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the whole racing part of it, I don't like to pay a bunch of money to run on public paths!!! Definately enjoy running though, I will be close to 120 miles for May!!!
  • Carfoodel
    Options
    haha I hadn't thought about it that way - I like the fact that the distance is signposted for you so you know how far you have got to go lol - that is a great distance to run - I am usually a walker so I do chalk up the miles - just trying to do it faster now :)
  • Kestrel45
    Kestrel45 Posts: 133
    Options
    That's great!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!