Tips for College?

Options
So it about that time when everyone heads back to school or even college. Got any good tips for eating well in a college cafeteria or those late night snacks?? Or even tips for what you pack in your lunch during the school year?

Replies

• katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm going back to school in about a month -- tips are great! Helppp.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I always kept healthy snacks (granola bars, plastic baggies of fruits/veggies or crackers or something, string cheese) in my backpack so that I could eat during/between classes without hitting the dreaded vending machines!

As far as the dining halls, make sure to do a lap and see what's available before you start piling things onto your tray! Then you can see the healthier options first, or even see that they have that "one food" that might not be "healthy" in the strictest sense, but you know you're gonna get some so you might as well know ahead of time so you can limit other less healthy items.

Good luck!
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't get on the meal plan! It can trap you into making it feel like you "have" to eat so you don't waste your money, and the food offered often isn't very high quality.

I don't know how common this is, but at both colleges I have attended, the "convenience store" is usually a better choice than the cafeteria. They usually offer salads, sushi, healthy sandwiches, and granola bars. They often have fresh fruit and veggies as well, and the one at the school I'm going to now even offers hard boiled eggs!

And of course, take full advantage of the free gym membership if you school offers it!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think the things you should watch out for are the things we assume are healthy...like the salad bar. There are plenty of healthy things in a typical salad bar, but when you drench them in ranch or bleu cheese you end up back where you started! Take a "tour" of the cafeteria when you've had a healthy snack to tide you over and look for things like olive oil and vinegar bottles at the salad bar, fiber rich (and low sugar) cereals in the breakfast bar. I'd even go as far as making a list of the foods you can work with that are there regularly so you can plan ahead before you get there. Then, find the suggestions box and request the foods you'd like to see more of (whole grain breads and cereals, low or non-fat yogurts, more variety in fresh fruits and veggies). Enlist the help of your buddies and stuff the suggestions box so you AND your friends can avoid the extra pounds from college!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My college forced us to purchase a meal plan. So to avoid over eating, I would only grab a plate (no tray). Then, fill the standard plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 complex carbs.

Snacks in between meals would get me through the rest of the time.

It might not be perfect, but my limiting the amount of food you can carry out of the cafeteria it's almost impossible to consume signifantly more than you should.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    This may sound silly, but email or call or stop by and visit the manager of the cafeteria. I did that when I was in college a few years back, and she actually gave me a hard copy of all of the nutrition information for all of the foods that they serve. It helped big time! :flowerforyou:
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but email or call or stop by and visit the manager of the cafeteria. I did that when I was in college a few years back, and she actually gave me a hard copy of all of the nutrition information for all of the foods that they serve. It helped big time! :flowerforyou:

That's an awesome idea! I'm going to do that this year.
  • kdbell
    kdbell Posts: 37
    Options
    one of the great things about college is that you can eat all day everywhere... so take advantage of it in a good way. first if you can afford to buy your own food do.. you are more likely to eat better if your choosing the right things. when your hungry eat.. even if you think your just snacking for no reason eat.. but eat fruits, veggies, protein even a cup of milk, yogurt and dont forget water! i would have ballooned out of control if i didn't carry my water bottle around and eat nuts and yogurt when i was hungry... which in college is every 20 minutes!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I just packed my own food. It was cheaper and I knew exactly what I was eating :) For days I felt like treating myself there is a subway on campus and I have a low cal sandwich all planned out for those days!
  • sal2515
    sal2515 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'd love to avoid the dreaded freshman 15 :/
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only thing I could have had at my school would have been the salad bar and possibly the soup! Possibly a panini for supper, but only after a work out. I hope your school is better than mine!
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I have no tips, I start my first year of university at the end of September, I just wanted to bump this for later =)
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are on a big campus, I would use the opportunity to walk as much as possible! (Not if its sweltering hot though, use your judgement!) Also you have to remember that healthy choices don't necessarily mean boring choices. Think of ways that you can make your favorite foods lighter. For example, my junior year, I decided to swap turkey for ground beef because I loved to make burgers on my George Foreman grill! Believe me, you'd be surprised how many calories you can save while getting the (relatively) same taste! Also, as far as the meal plan goes, try to eat as fresh as possible! Hope this helps!

1109128.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in college and it is tough to eat healthy on campus. I have the added pressure of living 2 hours away from campus with no dorm there to store snacks in a mini fridge to raid between classes. LOL I pack a cooler and keep it in my car. I then walk to my car between classes (added exercise) and snack on fruits, veggies, yogurt drinks, etc. I do eat on campus for lunch sometimes, but that is because I like a hot lunch most of the time. We have different options on our campus. There are 2 cafeterias and umpteen dozen fast food places that are all covered on the meal plan. Since I don't live on campus, I'm not required to buy a meal plan but I put extra money on my flex card just for food. The cafeterias here put the nutrition information at each serving station, so we're able to make healthier choices. The fast food places have their nutrition information online and I pick from the healthier choices. In fact, I checked the food database here and my favorite fast food place on my campus (The Loop Pizza Grill) already has some foods in the database here.