Peanut butter craving

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
This is strange, but it's hard to remember a day I did not eat peanut butter. I am not even exaggerating when I say I eat it daily-usually with a little bittersweet or dark chocolate for a lower sugar dessert.

There's not a lot of scientific research to prove why a person craves certain things (except in the case of Pica, and even then, there's no real answer as to why people eat certain things: clay, laundry starch, etc).

What is going on? I seriously wake up thinking about it and I seriously feel like I'm missing something when I don't eat it...

Thus far it hasn't been a problem-I still stay within my calories and usually within macros (though I do sometimes go over on fiber and/or protein). Anybody else have this happen?

Replies

• mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat it every single day too.

As long as you are within your calories, I don't see a problem.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day too and fit it into my day. No biggie. I don't eat a lot of meat so can use the extra protein.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    <--- addicted
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to peanut and nut butters that I can't even buy them anymore :((((
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Been that way since birth. Don't fix what ain't broken. :)
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Love it but I have made the switch to pb2 way less calories,fat, and sugar
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recently tried something called PB2. Pretty cheap on Amazon. Basically it's peanutbutter with oil taken out (so it's powder). You can find ways to use it with something else to get that peanut butter taste.

No crappy preservatives or chemicals added.

So it's not as healthy as peanut butter (those oils are there for a reason), but it's not bad either and a reasonable sub if you need that flavor now and then.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    one of the biggest issues with peanut butter is hydrogenated oils.. just make sure there are none in the brand you are eating and excess sugars.

really should only be peanuts and possibly some salt for ingredients.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Its a habit you have formed.

A delicious, delicious habit. :)

Don't read too much into it.
  • gmandolyn
    gmandolyn Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been interested in cravings, too. The time I really noticed/cared was when I randomly craved bananas -- I really don't like them, but sometimes I WANT them. So I started looking up various foods I was craving on nutritiondata.com , and the common denominator for me was potassium.

Nutritiondata.com lists out all of the nutrients you get from various foods. Maybe there is a vitamin that you don't get much of, and your body gets its fill from good ol' peanut butter. It looks like peanut butter has a lot of niacin, Vitamin E, folate, and B6. Maybe you aren't getting enough in your diet elsewhere?
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    one of the biggest issues with peanut butter is hydrogenated oils.. just make sure there are none in the brand you are eating and excess sugars.

really should only be peanuts and possibly some salt for ingredients.

My favorite peanut butter ever is "Adam's No-stir crunchy peanut butter". Seriously delicious and it was in stores all over on the West coast. Since I moved out here I can't find it anywhere. I had bought a jar when I was back home in January, but it was confiscated at security when I was flying back to MD.

I just about started crying.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I've been interested in cravings, too. The time I really noticed/cared was when I randomly craved bananas -- I really don't like them, but sometimes I WANT them. So I started looking up various foods I was craving on nutritiondata.com , and the common denominator for me was potassium.

Nutritiondata.com lists out all of the nutrients you get from various foods. Maybe there is a vitamin that you don't get much of, and your body gets its fill from good ol' peanut butter. It looks like peanut butter has a lot of niacin, Vitamin E, folate, and B6. Maybe you aren't getting enough in your diet elsewhere?

Good tip! I'll check that out. It's interesting if nothing else...I've been curious why this food in particular is something I crave so much.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    EAT THE PEANUT BUTTER
    peanut-butter-fingers-o.gif

No really, I love it and eat it pretty much every day too. I just make sure to but the natural PB where peanuts and salt are the only ingredients.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Good tip! I'll check that out. It's interesting if nothing else...I've been curious why this food in particular is something I crave so much.

If you are on a low fat diet, PB is a great source of natural fats. If you drink a lot of water, it is a source of sodium.

Here is the complete breakdown, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4453/2
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Love it but I have made the switch to pb2 way less calories,fat, and sugar

tumblr_lkn3geyaep1qh3tf2o1_400_zps8698124f.gif
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    PB2 has rescued me. Although, with their stock so low, it makes me worried that they might go by the wayside. I buy about three jars at a time and put it in my morning banana smoothie for protein and I have it as a snack sometimes. In fact, I have "budgeted" a snack with it for later today.

I think the trick is to use enough water to make the right consistency.
  • NeverThatEZ
    NeverThatEZ Posts: 43
    Options
    Haha, I love PB! Friend just posted this:

http://www.thegunnysack.com/2013/04/peanut-butter-cup-pie-pops-recipe.html

Heavennnnnnn :D
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Pb2 makes me want to puke. I love Maranathas organic peanut butter. Contains peanuts and a little sea salt.....amazing : ) Its getting harder to find tho and usually find the kind that has added oils and cane sugar.....noo bueno.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having peanut butter every day. I eat it every day, right before I work out. It gives me an energy boost. If you're worried about health issues involved with eating it, please don't. Peanut butter is good for you as long as you eat it in moderation. I would recommend getting the Jif All Natural, though. IMO, it tastes a lot better than the regular.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I only eat it occasionally, but I have found that if I am actually CRAVING it, I am usually too low in fat for a few days before that. Nothing wrong with peanut butter, but it doesn't usually fit well into my macros-lots of calories, so I try to add some avocado to a chicken sandwich or on a salad-seems to take car of the problem for me. Sometimes, I just want that peanut flavor, so I use PB2-which tastes really peanutty, but doesn't have the same consistency/mouth feel as regular peanut butter-also, almost no fat in it.