Carb Free Bread and Fat Free PB ... Thoughts

Options
MG_Fit
MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
So I'm trying to cut as many carbs and fat out of my diet as possible, but I enjoy PB on toast in the mornings after my workout. I did some research online and find a good recipe for some really low carb bread (but I don't know how to cook :frown:) Can someone tell me if this is easy to make:
http://www.food.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501

Also, I found some 0 calorie, fat free peanut butter and wanted to know if anyone tried it. It looks promising.
http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/spread_peanut.html

PeanutSpread.gif

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Looks like there is some peanut in there....Im not sure I would eat it though. I spread Avocado over my English muffin. Yummm:bigsmile:

I am intrigued by the bread though.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2? It's not 0 calorie but it's close. And it doesn't contain as much fat as regular peanut butter.
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    They should call that "peanut" spread, yikes. Personally, I'm not a fan of imitations, I say go for the real thing (or almond butter!) and just cut down on the amount if it doesn't fit your macros.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2? It's not 0 calorie but it's close. And it doesn't contain as much fat as regular peanut butter.

I'd definitely go the PB2 route over the Walden's Farm stuff. I tried one of their dressings once, and it was not very good. I don't know anything about baking bread. I buy Healthy Life Whole Wheat Low Carb or a Seedless Rye.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut as much fat out as possible...for proper nutrition, your diet should be 20-30% fat minimum. This is actually a big problem with dieters...they think fat makes you fat...it doesn't. You need to understand that your body needs a certain amount of dietary fat to be healthy. People who eliminate fat from their diets end up with all kinds of problems from hormonal imbalances to nervous system issues. Also, hearth healthy fats like those found in peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, etc help prevent heart disease.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's peanut-flavored vegetable fiber. There aren't any peanuts in it - just peanut flavor.

I personally don't think I'd want to eat it, but if you want peanut flavor on something and really don't want peanut butter calories, it might do the trick.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut as much fat out as possible...for proper nutrition, your diet should be 20-30% fat minimum. This is actually a big problem with dieters...they think fat makes you fat...it doesn't. You need to understand that your body needs a certain amount of dietary fat to be healthy. People who eliminate fat from their diets end up with all kinds of problems from hormonal imbalances to nervous system issues. Also, hearth healthy fats like those found in peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, etc help prevent heart disease.

^^^This

That peanut butter has artificial sweetener in it. I wouldn't touch it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to cut as many carbs and fat out of my diet as possible, but I enjoy PB on toast in the mornings after my workout. I did some research online and find a good recipe for some really low carb bread (but I don't know how to cook :frown:) Can someone tell me if this is easy to make:

Also, I found some 0 calorie, fat free peanut butter and wanted to know if anyone tried it. It looks promising.

PeanutSpread.gif
    Honestly? It sounds revolting. The "peanut butter" that is. Don't know how the cloud bread would taste, it's not actually bread though. It looks more like Is there any reason you're trying to cut carbs and fat out? Do you have a medical reason to limit fats? Are you aware that fats are essential?
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That Walden Farms fake peanut butter is just gross. It's slimy and doesn't taste much like PB. I do like PB2, tho. It's powdered peanuts with most of the fat removed, that you reconstitute with water. Two Tbsp of PB2 has 45 calories, as opposed to 190 calories for the same amount of regular PB. It's not what choosy mothers would choose, but for the calorie tradeoff it's great! I mix in a little Splenda and cinnamon with mine to punch up the flavor a little. This is from their website:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you want to stretch your peanut butter, you can try whipping it with skim milk or yogurt to make a lighter spread. I haven't tried this, but I have seen recipes on the internet.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I eat a tablespoon of real peanut butter on my english muffin, the peanut butter melts on the warm bread so it spreads out and there is actually plenty of peanut butter to go around. I dunno, I just don't find it too difficult to fit peanut butter (95 cals per tbsp) in my calorie/ macros allowance. Just because there are "traces of calories" does not necessarily mean it is a good alternative.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have thoughts. They're "eeekkk" and "No."
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try PB2 before going to the Peanut Spread.
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options

PeanutSpread.gif

What brand is it? I use one from Walden's Farm. It is weird...but okay when you spread it on toast with SF jelly. To take a scoop and eat it...no way...tastes horrid :noway:
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That Walden Farms fake peanut butter is just gross. It's slimy and doesn't taste much like PB. I do like PB2, tho. It's powdered peanuts with most of the fat removed, that you reconstitute with water. Two Tbsp of PB2 has 45 calories, as opposed to 190 calories for the same amount of regular PB. It's not what choosy mothers would choose, but for the calorie tradeoff it's great! I mix in a little Splenda and cinnamon with mine to punch up the flavor a little. This is from their website:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter

Ingredients:

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Where can I get this. I currently use Walden Farms PB...not so good.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i love walden farms and have almost everything they sell :x

here's the thing, you can have almond butter (which gives you the good fat you need) and mix it in with the walden farms so you get more of the stuff to spread but without all the extra calories.

I also am a big fan of ezekiel bread which has protein and is really good. you can usually find it it whole foods in the dairy section (cold). together these two are great!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan of imitations, I say go for the real thing (or almond butter!) and just cut down on the amount if it doesn't fit your macros.

Exactly. Eat well, but eat moderated. Don't need fake crap.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Everything you describe sounds like yuck. I'd rather eat nothing... looking at the nutrition for the "Peanut Spread," that's basically what you're eating. Nothing.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've been using PB2 for about a month now, but only in my smoothies. It save me about 250 calories (2 Tbsp=45 cal), and the peanut butter flavor is spot on. I know that you can mix it with water to make peanut butter, but I haven't tried it yet.