1200 CALORIE DAYS

Options
lauryn86
lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
Hey guys, I have a question. I need to lower my calories but I am not sure how much to eat for each meal or WHAT to eat to only eat 1200. I am used to 1500 or more :(. Please let me know what your days look like or how you plan each meal and what you eat. Any info is appreciated in advance, thanks!

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    The easiest was is to just try to eat clean, healthy, filling foods. Lots of veggies and protein. Log after each meal to see how much room you have left :) I recommended things like: protein shakes, Greek yogurt, eggs, oatmeal, salads, veggies, fish, chicken, almonds, veggies sticks, eggs etc etc :) low cal, filling stuff!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone obsessed with the number 1200? A lot of people see good results for the first 1-2 months then usually stall, most likely because their body isn't getting enough nutrients, if you do eat 1200 make sure you eat your exercise calories back at least or you'll be netting extremely low. I'd recommend to calculate your TDEE and eat 250-500 under that to lose a half a pound to a pound a week, that's probably the easiest and best thing to do :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, why do you need to lower your intake?

To your question... it doesn't much matter what you eat. Ideally you want a nice balance of fats, protein and carbs, but ultimately how much you eat matters more than what you eat (for weight loss, which I assume is your primary goal).
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What made you go down to 1200?
  • fmoncayo
    fmoncayo Posts: 3
    Options
    I also have a 1200 day calorie intake. To my surprise I've been under a few calories here and there. You'd be surprise of the things I eat. I have my coffee which I will not give up. I eat fruits (careful with the sugar) veggies are also a favorite (celery and peanut butter are interesting) salads with your favorite dressing (just make sure it's low or non fat) AND portion control. THAT'S my issue, I like to eat. A Nutritionist explained to me that it would be better if I ate 6 small meals of what I like versus gorging one big meal. At least there is room for burning calories in between meals. And of course, log everything in. This is why we are here. I'm learning all this the hard way. We will make it through. Feel free to be friend me to check out my diary.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'll second the why do you want to go that low question. Are you under 5 feet tall or do you have metabolic disorder?

But if you chose to stick with 1200, remember that it is 1200 NET calories, so you can also reach that by exercising without eating any less food.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone obsessed with the number 1200? A lot of people see good results for the first 1-2 months then usually stall, most likely because their body isn't getting enough nutrients, if you do eat 1200 make sure you eat your exercise calories back at least or you'll be netting extremely low. I'd recommend to calculate your TDEE and eat 250-500 under that to lose a half a pound to a pound a week, that's probably the easiest and best thing to do :)

1200 NET or TDEE - 20% is roughly the same value. For me, they differ by less than 100 calories per day
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast, usually some soup or a sandwich for lunch and lean protein and veggies for supper. If I need a snack, I reach for an orange, or some raisins. :) - This is on a good day. Sometimes if we have pasta for supper I go a bit over 1200.

I find it's not that hard... I don't drink anything but water and tea, so I'm not getting extra calories from drinks. :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    A Nutritionist explained to me that it would be better if I ate 6 small meals of what I like versus gorging one big meal. At least there is room for burning calories in between meals.

It doesn't matter of you eat 6 small meals or 2 large ones - calories in vs calories out.
  • dmascheck
    dmascheck Posts: 3
    Options
    I know everyone is trying to determine why that low. Try out this site. It will determine what you need as calorie intake versus you lifestyle plus exercise. Love this site, plus you can play with the math to get to the weight you want in the time frame you want.

http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/
  • dmascheck
    dmascheck Posts: 3
    Options
    Also 1200 calories equate to 400 calories per meal if you just do 3 meals and that is a lot if you eat clean and a lot of veggies. A huge salad, with chicken breast and light on the dressing can be about 300 calories. Egg whites, spinach and mushroom omelet with oatmeal is another meal that is about 300 calories.

So divide how many meals you want and the calories and go from there.
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    Options
    I am on a 1200 net calorie goal and it isn't easy...then again we are here on MFP so things shouldn't be "easy". I try my best to reach my goal throughout the work week but usually end up busting big time over the weekend. It is what it is.

During the week I usually have a yogurt for breakfast, a low cal wrap sandwich for lunch, and then something relatively low calorie for dinner. My biggest challenge with the 1200 is the drinks really. Because I like to enjoy a beer or two at the end of the day. Trying to save room for that is a huge challenge. lol.

1200 takes constant logging throughout the day, pretty much daily exercise, and no sodas!!!!
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OK the reason I want 1200 is because MFP told me to eat that in the beginning to get to my GOAL. HOWEVER in the beginning it was SUPER hard for me so i did 1500 and it was working. Then it stopped working. So thats why im trying 1200 and yes I am 5'1 and a half inches tall and i sit at a desk all day. I do not need a lot of food i just want it and am used to eating larger portions. Thanks to all the good advice.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    OK the reason I want 1200 is because MFP told me to eat that in the beginning to get to my GOAL. HOWEVER in the beginning it was SUPER hard for me so i did 1500 and it was working. Then it stopped working. So thats why im trying 1200 and yes I am 5'1 and a half inches tall and i sit at a desk all day. I do not need a lot of food i just want it and am used to eating larger portions. Thanks to all the good advice.

THat's fine... just make sure 1200 is reasonable for you - often times people set their goal too aggressively (too much weight lost too quickly).