seriously??

Options
so my sisters ex boyfriend is now a personal trainer. he told her that he lost 60lbs in just 5 months! she asked him how and he said he started drinking a gallon of water a day...no candy..no pasta etc and said he ate a lot of chicken breasts and veggies. so now my sister thinks this is a good idea and wants to try it. i think she (and he) is nuts! am i the only one? you need variety in your diet..and who wouldnt get sick of chicken and veggies all the time?? im really learning that you can have almost anything you want..moderation is the key.

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    just get ready to smirk when they get tired of chicken and veggies, scarf down steak and potatoes, and gain all the weight back.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree this is not the proper way to do it. Have you ever noticed people who lose weight quickly (whether from pills or fades such as this one) gain it back, plus? I believe in losing slowly, with proper nutrition from all of the food groups and smaller portions. Yes, it is extremely slow in losing weight, but it will be worth it in the end because you will learn to maintain your weight.:flowerforyou:
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing chicken and veggies with fruit for the past 3 months and I don't miss food. It gets to a point where you body doesn't really want aynthing but healthy stuff.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Have you told her about this website? I think anytime we are trying to lose weight too fast it is not a lasting effort. I also would encourage her to research how much water she should drink. It is dangerous to drink too much water.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    so my sisters ex boyfriend is now a personal trainer. he told her that he lost 60lbs in just 5 months! she asked him how and he said he started drinking a gallon of water a day...no candy..no pasta etc and said he ate a lot of chicken breasts and veggies. so now my sister thinks this is a good idea and wants to try it. i think she (and he) is nuts! am i the only one? you need variety in your diet..and who wouldnt get sick of chicken and veggies all the time?? im really learning that you can have almost anything you want..moderation is the key.

uhhh they are doing exactly what they should be doing imo...which is to say they are learning to eat balanced & healthy meals. Its tough to learn to cook good meals at first so starting with something as easy as chicken and veggies just makes sense...
    Soon the menu will hopefully expand outwards from that type of eating.

@mrsEjr: And steak and potatoes can easily be another meal to add to the week that wouldn't be so bad compared to candy, pasta, and fast food??
    I think the personal trainer who lost 60lbs and became a personal trainer in the process is the only person with the right to smirk in here.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I think high protein and veggies is the way to go, but eventually I would need more variety.

I don't think it matters how they lose the weight, as long as they develop some long term good eating habits in the process.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options

uhhh they are doing exactly what they should be doing imo...which is to say they are learning to eat balanced & healthy meals. Its tough to learn to cook good meals at first so starting with something as easy as chicken and veggies just makes sense...

@mrsEjr: And steak and potatoes can easily be another meal to add to the week that wouldn't be so bad compared to candy, pasta, and fast food??
    I think the personal trainer who lost 60lbs and became a personal trainer in the process is the only person with the right to smirk in here.

I couldn't agree more. I lost 110 in a year and it is that kind of dedication and no-nonsense attitude that yields great results.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Makes sense
    It's what i did at first, chicken, beef or fish with vegetables, few potatoes or similar for tea most nights, lost a lot of weight very fast then really got into the swing of things and began to expand my diet to things just as healthy. 5 months later i'm 69lbs lighter.
    You do eventually get used to it and actually enjoy a healthy routine
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe when he said he ate no pasta/sugar but did eat lots of chicken and veggies, he was giving the condensed version of what he eats.

When people ask me what I eat (which is fairly often once they find out I eat a vegan diet), I don't sit there and list everything, I usually say "beans or tofu for my protein, and tons of veggies." In reality, I eat a lot more than those three categories, but I don't want to bore people with my daily menu unless they press for it lol.

Even if he does mostly just eat chicken and veggies, apparently it worked for him and he's in a learning process just like the rest of us. If you get sick of your diet, you change it. I would say an answer of "protein and vegetables" from a trainer is probably pretty common. If you feel that your sister is just trying to hop on another fad diet, maybe you could talk to her about balanced eating and nutrition and send her on over to MFP.

And a quick last note: I've read a number of articles now (and Dr. Oz talks about it in some of his books) that say that people who eat less variety, who stick to the same basic types of meals for at least two meals a day tend to lose more weight and keep it off longer because you're not being barraged by constant new tastes and therefore new cravings. The bottom line, though, is that we're all different and once someone finds something that works for them and makes them feel good, cheers!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound nuts to me, sounds like getting in proper fluids and making healthier eating choices. Baked chicken and veggies are great alternatives to "candy, white pasta and no water":laugh: Sort of like comparing apples and oranges, I've come far by eating chicken, veggies, fruit, drinking lots of water and working out.

Not sure why you feel what he's doing is unhealthy, am I missing something?? Is he eating 20 chicken breasts a day or something? I've dropped several hundred lbs. eating healthy and can't imagine eating any other way now:drinker:

Getting in plenty of excercise and water is huge, I'm not sure he's the bad guy everyone's making him out to be, unless it's jealousy or something I'm not seeing??

We all lose at varying rates, at the begining I was dropping 10 lbs a week but compared to someone needing to lose 30 lbs. it was the right fit for me, I was eating according to what MFP allotted me. But of course it wasn't every week it came off like that, the begining it's water weight and your body adjusting to good food vs. CRAP. lol

Comparing ourselves to others is hard not to do at times but in the end it never really makes us feel good about ourselves.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing chicken and veggies with fruit for the past 3 months and I don't miss food. It gets to a point where you body doesn't really want aynthing but healthy stuff.
    :wink: :drinker:
  • Bourgel
    Bourgel Posts: 4
    Options
    I just hired a nutritionist and she told me basically the same thing as your sister's boyfriend is doing. She said to try not to have protein and carbs in the same meal as it is harder to digest, so either have pasta/carbs with veggies, or protein with veggies. I have been feeling great, and I'm not tired of the menu.

There are alot of different ways to prepare chicken, although I am sure that he just meant "protein"!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I get the 20lb bags of boneless skinless most of the time I boil it but I do like to cook in on the grill sometimes i just eat the chicken but most of the time I cut it up as add it to my salad no dressing maybe some oil and vinger.
    I also like a rice cake at night with some PB.

In the summer I up my water intake some days 2 gal.

stay healhty
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    He is on the right track, but I have added beer to the diet and lost the same amount since March 23rd. I just exercise more I would imagine. I also eat other meats (even red ones) and lots of granola protein bars for breakfast. In the end, high protein and low calories will get you there even with some bad things in your diet as long as you limit the calories or do the work to make up for it. There is definately more than one way to lose weight.

Google Michael Phelps diet and look at his build. He eats 6000-8000 calories a day and works his butt off.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

@mrsEjr: And steak and potatoes can easily be another meal to add to the week that wouldn'

Can it be so bad compared to candy, pasta, and fast food??

Very well said!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

I find the more simple my menu, the better off I am. I just use different seasonings to mix up the taste................

My normal eating plan is either steak, chicken or shrimp with veggies..............fruit a couple times a week for dessert.
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I love chicken so probably that would be just fine with me. I could eat chicken and veggies every day (and probably do) Its cutting out the sugar that is killing me, but I'm adapting to it
  • brieski24
    Options
    I am a nurse, and yes, in some instances/medical illness diet restrictions are key to survival and living an optimal level of health. However, you're right moderation is key. It is important to eat a variety of foods including fruits, veggies, proteins, and grains. Losing weight is a good thing, but you have to do it the right way, by starving your body of nutrients it needs- it could have lasting health effects.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the Atkins or Carbohydrate Addict's Diet to me. It probably works, but I wouldn't try them again... :grumble: BUT, cutting out sugar and pasta probably wouldn't hurt anyone. :bigsmile:
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    doesn't sound nutty to me either. There are so many things you can do with chicken, and plenty of veggies to choose from. Cutting out a lot of carbs does help, and some people simply don't crave anything sweet after a while.
    i don't think eating in moderation means that you can't be happy if you don't eat sweets and sugar in moderation. I say good for him.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me. Remember "veggies" covers a LOT of items. I think (like another poster said) your family just mentioned a "condensed" version of food they eat. Any time I have successfully lost wt, its been lean protien, a large variety of veggies, fruit and lots of water. When people would ask me what my diet looked like, I condenesed it to as few words as possible and of course that sounds boring as hell! But really, using a variety of spices, seasonings, etc you can have interesting meals every day. ahhh, too bad I don't always take my own advice! lol