Carbs versus sugar

Options
I'm struggling finding carbs to eat (never eating enough to reach my goal) that do not up my sugar (always blowing that goal!). Most of the time, the sugars are coming from my fruit.

I have Celiac disease, so the regular go-to carbs aren't an option.

I'm happy to continue to reach my calorie and carb quota with wine, but somehow I don't think that is the best option. :)

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition the sugar isn't a huge deal. It's just a carb, which you're already tracking once.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Whole grains. Anything whole grain will naturally be lower in sugar, as long as there is no added sugar
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    My mfp goal for carbs is supposed to be 165 a day, but since I'm on a low carb plan, I only eat 25 to 30 net carbs a day. And my sugar is low.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Edit * NVM... just saw the disease part.
  • smwarden33
    smwarden33 Posts: 1
    Options
    you can go into the goal settings and green button on the bottom says change goals. It will have recommended or customise select custom and you set your carb goals to a different percentage. I just found that. As I am on the Gestational diabetes diet per OB Dr. It does help that I shouldnt go over what i have set. Hope this helps.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can try beans, they're high in fiber and carbs but not too bad with sugar. You'll probably have to rely on plain beans and make them yourself. Some canned varieties have been known to cause issues with celiac disease.

Corn, rice, and potatos are also supposedly ok on a gluten free diet. You'll have to test them all and see how your body reacts.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @Charovnitza...How can you eat 25 gms of carbs.... tell me your secret!! :-)
    I almost die trying to control it to 156 daily... :-)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    As somsone who doesn't eat Gluten because of digestive discomfort, and low sugar because of PCOS, here are my 'go-to' carbs

- Popcorn
    - Oven roasted chickpeas
    - GF grain bread (if you live in Aus, try Coles Pure Bred. High fibre, low sugar)
    - Corn wraps
    - Quest bars
    - Corn tacos
    - Beans
    - Rice
    - Buckwheat noodles
    - Quinoa flakes (can be made into oatmeal)
    - Quinoa
    - Pumpkin
    - Potato
    - Veggies

I hope this helps =]
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options

It's net carbs...and I just sent you a message.
  • coopere6838
    coopere6838 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Charovnitza, can you send me a message too! : )
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

It's net carbs...and I just sent you a message.

Here's how to get MFP to show your net carbs, http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I also aim for 30 grams of carbs and under 15 grams of sugar. my carbs are typically all found in veggies. sometimes a few crackers or a tiny bit of sugar free icecream.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, brown rice, dried beans and vegetables. All of these are gluten free and my go-to carb sources even though I have no problems with gluten. I just like them. :flowerforyou: