Are all calories equal?

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    And the processed calories are much more likely to net higher after digestion.

What does this mean?

Thermic effect of food. People use calories digesting food. Protein and unprocessed foods take more energy to digest, so the net is lower.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What does this mean?

It means nothing. The thermic effect of food is negligible. It's nonsense, which is proven by the success of people like me and magerum.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It means nothing. The thermic effect of food is negligible. It's nonsense, which is proven by the success of people like me and magerum.

The voice of antiscience has spoken!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

What does this mean?

That's what I thought. Just letting him have a chance to cite a reputable source before I called shenanigans.
  • KatLifter
    Options

I asked already. Do you have science to show?
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In for the debate... Again.

Bacon fries, anyone?
    bacon_fries1.jpg

Oh. Dear. God. Those look amazing. Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me 80/20.....80% good, healthy eating, and 20% you can cheat. He recomends 100% healthy and mindful during the week. He has 'allowed' me to have 1 glass of wine (which I have on Friday night) and if I am going to cheat with non-nutritious food, it is likely one meal on the weekend. I have lived by this religiously since January and have lost the 20 lbs I wanted to lose, and am now a much smaller 140 lb woman than I was the last time I was this weight. This is due to strength training combined with the healthy eating. I have lost a total of 13.5 inches!! So I think his directions of 80/20 have worked well. Now he says I don't have to be as religious with all choices - i.e. if I consume a sweet more than once a week I try not to freak out. - but don't let go of the healthy eating just because I have achieved my goal. Well...sort of...I have now revised my goal another 5 lbs down - I will see how long it takes to remove that. As I will likely go from workouts 6 times a week down to 5 days a week. So without the exercise, I get fewer exercise calories to eat :(
    I wish all trainers would do it this way. Most of my peers at work do, but when I worked at 24 Hour Fitness, all I heard from many of the trainers (who were competitive body builders and fitness models) was that only "clean" eating is going to get results. Unfortunately not everyone wants to step up on stage in a bikini.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that given the amount of wine I drink (considered an "empty" calorie) and the fact that I'm still thin, then yes. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Cheers! ;-P

We can be friends! :drinker:
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am done trying to explain to everyone. I may have worded things wrongly in the beginning. It's not what's best for everyone, it's what's best for me. Some of your responses have honestly left me in tears because I feel that none of you are understanding where I'm coming from. Thanks for that. Thanks for such great support in something that I feel so strongly about. I am officially done with this...

Sorry dear, but if THESE posts left you in tears please stay away from the forums, or thicken your skin. This was nothing.
    Good luck.

what an insensitive thing to say...you all really need to reevaluate the way you come across to people. you have no idea just how damaging you can be...
  • ninerbuff
    Options

What does this mean?

Thermic effect of food. People use calories digesting food. Protein and unprocessed foods take more energy to digest, so the net is lower.
    So based on this do you believe eating more meals increases metabolism?

IDEA Fitness member
  • KatLifter
    Options
    I am done trying to explain to everyone. I may have worded things wrongly in the beginning. It's not what's best for everyone, it's what's best for me. Some of your responses have honestly left me in tears because I feel that none of you are understanding where I'm coming from. Thanks for that. Thanks for such great support in something that I feel so strongly about. I am officially done with this...

Sorry dear, but if THESE posts left you in tears please stay away from the forums, or thicken your skin. This was nothing.
    Good luck.

what an insensitive thing to say...you all really need to reevaluate the way you come across to people. you have no idea just how damaging you can be...

It's honest advice. If you can't handle honest straightforward advice from a stranger, this isn't the place for you. It's that simple. Look around and read what people have to say here, then you'll see I'm right.

ETA: Read over your own responses, you were pretty rude and condescending.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Thermogenic effect between food types is so minimal that it's pretty much not a concern.

Old study (1999), but human based and I don't feel like digging more. I'm hungry and want to go eat.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10545669

Conclusion:
    Our study failed to show any significant differences in RMR and TEF between vegetarians and subjects consuming a Mediterranean diet. We conclude that vegetarianism per se is not accompanied by a difference in RMR and TEF when the carbohydrate content of the diet is similar to a control group of nonvegetarians.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.

Fact? It's a fact that pizza and Hot Pockets and McDonald's are just "bad foods" and having them occasionally to "cheat" is just bad?

That's BS. Plain and simple. I eat food you would describe as "bad" pretty much every day of my life, and sometimes multiple times a day. And yet I'm in fantastic shape and around 150 lbs, 12% body fat after having been 210 lbs 40% body fat once upon a time.

There is nothing "bad" about Hot Pockets and pizza and burgers and tacos and ice cream if you can fit them into your daily macro goals.

Eliminating foods you love is the WORST way to go about this. Why do you think so many people regain weight? It's because they didn't make SUSTAINABLE changes. Simply telling yourself "I'll never eat a Quarter Pounder again" isn't sustainable. One day your resolve will fail, you will eat that Quarter Pounder, and you will feel like you've failed on one of your core goals. This is how people relapse.

The KEY is to eat the foods you love in healthy, sustainable ways. "Never" is not sustainable when you're talking about all the foods you love.

^^THIS. Don't deprive yourself of the food you love, as long as you can do it moderately. SOME people cannot, for them I say yes cut it out completely. I have no problem eating one cookie and then calling it quits. I still eat what I want and the pounds are coming off (slowly, but that's because I planned it that way, and I'd rather have them come off slowly then fast). If you go a little over or want a treat, exercise off the excess. If you can't fit it into your goals for the day, try not to eat it. Yes a calorie is a calorie. Just some help sustain us longer than others.

DONE END OF STORY.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Good luck.

And YOU basically said everyone will fail unless they follow YOUR example. Seems the possibility for damage is higher than some people with proven results showing you the way you can succeed. Sorry you got your knickers in a knot, but with an all or nothing mindset, you have a long, hard uphill climb.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. cutting out "bad foods" isn't the way to go.. you will eventually break and probably go on a bazillion calorie binge. I agree to alternatives but not to completely cutting out a food. All food is fuel. Even pizza has fuel.. burgers fuel.. etc, etc.

If I want a damn cupcake .. Ill eat a damn cupcake... Ill just make sure it fits in my daily calorie goals.. b.c when you want a cupcake, no amount of veggies is gonna cut it, at least imo.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Treat it as a learning experience. If you show up to a fitness website as a newbie with little progress and tell a bunch of people whose experience and success dwarf your own that the things they say are wrong, and that your way is "fact" and "reality", those people might disagree with you and explain, at length, why your statements are mistaken.

If your ego is so fragile that a bunch of experienced and successful people disagreeing with you is "damaging" and makes you cry, you should a) stay away from the forums, and b) avoid telling people much more experienced and successful than yourself that they're all wrong.

What you should really be doing is listening to those people and trying to learn from them.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Good luck.

No one here has been personally attacking. Not agreeing with you is not an attack. Internet forums may not be the best place for you if you're unable to have a disagreement.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's a fine line. The intent is to correct information that may be anecdotal, but sometimes the way it's conveyed may be more than the person can take. You don't know any of these people, so don't take it personally. It's not a reflection of you as a person, there's just a disagreement on your ideas. Nothing more.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KatLifter
    Options

Good luck.

No one here has been personally attacking. Not agreeing with you is not an attack. Internet forums may not be the best place for you if you're unable to have a disagreement.

No, she says very clearly that the problem is with ALL of us. Not her.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    In the same way, healthy food is better calories because they are in a better form for your body to digest and get the NUTRIENTS from. Unhealthy food is processed and has the calories, but very little of the nutrients, or it has nutrients in such a form that your body isn't able to process/absorb it. This is one of the reasons juicing is so popular. It's a very efficient way of getting a lot of nutrients in your body and in a form that your body will absorb.

It doesn't mean you can't eat unhealthy food, but all things in moderation. Those foods, when eaten too much, actually deprive your body of nutrients, even though they technically have the calories. It triggers your body to think it's starving because of the lack of nutrients and will in turn trigger the "fat storage" mode.

Um, no. Processed foods are often fortified, and we can use those nutrients. And they don't trigger starvation mode or fat storage mode. We (in general) just eat too much of them: too many calories.