Any vegetable you feel is a waste to eat?

Options
Buff2022
Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
I am having lunch and I made some corn. As I was making it, I was thinking such a useless veggie. I am trying to use up all the food we have here. So I am eating it. I would so rather have some green beans.

Not a great nutritional value is what I mean by waste!

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    i don't think corn is a wasted vegetable at all.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I like corn...but I like most veggies, starches, legumes, etc. What do you mean by "is a waste to eat"? As in pointless to eat it? I don't really understand.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Corn isn't a vegetable.

Anything you don't like is a waste to eat, though. Why bother?
  • DonPidgeon
    DonPidgeon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Crisphead Lettuce (iceberg lettuce, depending on where in the world you live).

No nutrition, boring and spoils way too easily.
  • KateHill1981
    KateHill1981 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think that canned friuts are a waste. Almost zero nutrients or fiber and a ton of sugar.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The only one I can think of is celery. I still eat it though it doesn't have many calories or nutritional value.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love corn. I mean that is just not a good nutritional choice. Like iceberg lettuce.

not meaning harm at all.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you mean. I haven't thought of corn, potatoes, peas or winter squash as vegetables since I did WW back in the late 80's/early 90's when these were under the "starch" category instead of vegetable category. I wouldn't say they're a complete waste as they still have lots of good nutrients (especially sweet potatoes) but I do tend to go for the "real" veggies like green beans, leafy veg, broccoli, carrots red peppers, etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    iceberg lettuce
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Corn isn't highly nutritional true, but it's not a 'waste' if it's replacing something unhealthy you usually eat!

And I agree with iceberg lettuce, it tastes like grim water. I'd rather have spinach.
  • SweetestLibby
    Options
    Ah! That makes sense. No, I look at those foods as a well to fill out/add weight to a meal without adding a large amount of calories and as a way of making it look pretty. For example, rice. It's plain but add corn, peas, squash or something of the sort and it looks pretty and provide a different taste.
  • CalynZeigs
    CalynZeigs Posts: 34
    Options
    If you mean empty calories then I guess anything that is a starch would fall in the category, and anything overly sugary. I don't know.

I am still nursing a toddler so I don't really track my food or worry about it. If I start tracking too often I want to limit it and that would be bad for kiddo and me both nutrient wise. I've gotten to where I trust my body a little more to know what's good for it, so I tend to go with my cravings- not talking caramel frappe cravings, I mean like if I'm craving asparagus and bacon I tend to do it regardless of how 'healthy' bacon makes it, cause there is obviously something in it I need atm. If something sounds awful I don't eat it. I started doing that after my youngest was born, and while it didn't help me loose any of the weight, I didn't gain any despite being chair bound for probably up to 50% of the time. Kept it up now that I can exercise and breath again and lost 3lbs and 2 dress sizes so far in the last two months even without tracking or limiting calories.

So I guess I don't think anything is a waste if your body is telling you it needs it.
  • CalynZeigs
    Options
    Corn isn't highly nutritional true, but it's not a 'waste' if it's replacing something unhealthy you usually eat!

And I agree with iceberg lettuce, it tastes like grim water. I'd rather have spinach.

For so long I thought I hated salad, turns out I just hate lettuce. When we did a kale salad one day when it was on sale I found out I can love salad... so long as it's not made with lettuce, lol.
  • GoFitBecky
    GoFitBecky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any vegetable that needs high-fat voodoo done to it in order to get it choked down is a waste. For me, that vegetable is cauliflower. :smile:
  • SweetestLibby
    Options
    Any vegetable that needs high-fat voodoo done to it in order to get it choked down is a waste. For me, that vegetable is cauliflower. :smile:

roasted cauliflower is AMAZING!! As a kid I thought I hated vegetables (I ate them anyway because my parents made me) but it turns out I just hated the way they were cooked!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    roasted cauliflower is AMAZING!! As a kid I thought I hated vegetables (I ate them anyway because my parents made me) but it turns out I just hated the way they were cooked!

I'm finding that about a lot of things. I hated brussel sprouts with a passion until two weeks ago when I roasted them for an experiment. I was eating them off the pan they were so good. I've got to try that with broccoli and cauliflower next!

Also - salads with field greens, spinach, argula, kale, etc -- SO much better than lettuce. Give me 2 cups of kale, an avocado, some onions, carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers, and I'm a happy girl.

I think people over use the starchy vegetables in general (not on mfp, higher level of health awareness) and think they are being super healthy, and it is better than some things they could be eating, but it isn't hitting the level of nutritional value some think it is. They definitely have their place though!
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    Funny thing about corn is that, as we've bred it to be sweeter and lighter in color, it's lost nutrients and gained sugar. (some varieties are 40% sugar now!) Yellow corn, or even better yet, multicolored "Indian corn" is far more nutritious.

NY times quotes:

Corn with deep yellow kernels, including the yellow corn available in our grocery stores, has nearly 60 times more beta-carotene than white corn, valuable because it turns to Vitamin A in the body, which helps vision and the immune system.

and

Build a sweeter fruit or vegetable — by any means — and we will come. Today, most of the fresh corn in our supermarkets is extra-sweet. The kernels are either white, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The sweetest varieties approach 40 percent sugar, bringing new meaning to the words “candy corn.” Only a handful of farmers in the United States specialize in multicolored Indian corn, and it is generally sold for seasonal decorations, not food.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all
  • CalynZeigs
    Options
    Funny thing about corn is that, as we've bred it to be sweeter and lighter in color, it's lost nutrients and gained sugar. (some varieties are 40% sugar now!) Yellow corn, or even better yet, multicolored "Indian corn" is far more nutritious.

NY times quotes:

Corn with deep yellow kernels, including the yellow corn available in our grocery stores, has nearly 60 times more beta-carotene than white corn, valuable because it turns to Vitamin A in the body, which helps vision and the immune system.

and

Build a sweeter fruit or vegetable — by any means — and we will come. Today, most of the fresh corn in our supermarkets is extra-sweet. The kernels are either white, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The sweetest varieties approach 40 percent sugar, bringing new meaning to the words “candy corn.” Only a handful of farmers in the United States specialize in multicolored Indian corn, and it is generally sold for seasonal decorations, not food.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all

No wonder the country has such a weight problem, even our 'healthy' food is full of sugar.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I never developed a taste for okra.

As for iceberg lettuce, keep in mind that those of us who like it enjoy it for the texture, not the flavor. Shake on a little salt and you have something that's satisfyingly crunchy, like potato chips, with only a fraction of the calories. An entire 6" head is only 75 calories. Not that I could eat an entire 6" head in one sitting.

It also makes a great substrate for blue cheese dressing.
  • BobMcCloskey
    BobMcCloskey Posts: 117
    Options
    Corn is a complete waste of time to eat. It come out the same way it went in! LOL!