so i gave in...

Options
i told myself i would have any late night snacks this week... day one and already fallen at the first hurdle. had a glass of milk and 20g of granola

i was having such bad hunger pangs, do you think my choice of snack was ok?

Replies

• luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know those night munchies..

This is how I do it, cuz you cant live forever without a little something. I try to eat early, so dinner is always around 5;30 or 6pm at the latest. Then I go for a walk around 7pm. By the time I sit with hubby to watch TV i have the munchies ( hubby starts munching 30 minutes after dinner and never gains a LB)
    I either have 5 oz Skim milk and a 90 cal Fiver one Bar, or grab some grapes with a handful of cheerios, or 1/2 cup of fat free chocolate ice cream. all low fat and make me feel like I am not depriving myself alot.
    Hope this helps :)
  • jennarosewa
    Options
    i'm sorry to hear that :( i dont think milk or granola was "bad".. but eating at night is supposed to be bad. maybe you could change your challange a little bit like say "i won't eat any snacks after 9 PM" and then next week, don't eat any snacks past 8:30, etc.. good luck with all your goals!!
  • cleja90
    cleja90 Posts: 12
    Options
    I think you did fine. I find it worse to not eat if I am that hungry. Then I feel like I am starving and will gorge later. If you are hungry, there is nothing wrong with a snack. I like granola too, just watch the fat. If you are trying to not eat too late then maybe try a snack a little bit after dinner to help you make it until the next day.
  • Cindysturn
    Options
    Try getting in more protein for dinner. It stays in your stomach longer. Water would also help with the hunger pains.
  • krisakira
    Options
    its better to eat when hungry, than to starve yourself, because when you let yourself get hungry, your body goes into starvation mode, and starts storing fat more easily. I dont think that milk and granola was a bad choice, but maybe some veggies next time? Veggies and meat are good for eating later in the day, because they are used more for repairing muscle tissue, while carbs and other foods are supposed to be burned off throughout the day.

when are you eating dinner? what if you ate dinner an hour later? I am trying to eat dinner later so I wouldn't be as hungry at night. I used to be a huge late night eater, which contributed to many of my 120 pound weight gain. So i understand the struggle a lot. Yesterday I wanted ice cream at 9pm so bad.... but I didn't, and feel so good about it! Do what makes you feel good about yourself in the long run!
  • alicedavison
    Options
    ahhh thank you guys. i eat my dinner around 6pm/7pm but was feeling pretty lazy and eneded up having tomato soup and a roll pretty low on protein tonight so your probably right about upping the protein to prevent the hunger from striking! thanks for the help. x
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine to me! Nighttime eating isn't bad in and of itself....calories are calories. That's the typical problem with nighttime eating: people grab junk food, or are just eating of boredom. If you're LEGITIMATELY hungry at night, eating something healthy just until you're NOT hungry is fine. :)
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    how late was it? I've heard not to eat after7pm is helpful
  • alicedavison
    Options
    haha it was 10pm :) ill try drinking water next time first too!