FIBER SUPPLEMENTS - HELP ME UNDERSTAND!

Options
pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
So I need to up my fiber intake to 25-30 grams per day to help with my... ehhh hemm "irregularity". I bought some super fiber foods last night to kick start this journey of regularity and I've also purchased some "renew life" fiber smart supplements/vitamins from Walgreens. I went to log in my breakfast and had to swallow 4 horse pills with a full glass of water to find out these 4 pills offer ONE measley gram of fiber?!? What in the actual??!!

My fiber one cereal gave me 20 grams of fiber in one sitting. Why in the hell would I take 4 horse pills 3 times a day to get 3 grams of fiber?? Is there something I am missing. $25.00 for a bottle of supplements to give you 3 grams of fiber after 12 pills? Doesn't make sense to me. Can someone enlighten me on what I am missing.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you may have been conned a bit.

There are different types of fibre - insoluble and soluble - and a variety of sources.

So it is possible that the magic pills will have a benefit above that of yet more wheat bran, try them and see.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I buy a flavorless powder fiber supplement, it's a Fred Meyer brand but I think it's just like Metamucil or Benefiber, I can't remember what the label said. But two teaspoons is 3g of fiber I believe (Sorry I don't really use it anymore, 1/4 cup of lentils has 15g!) anyway it's flavorless and mixes in with beverages and foods. I can't tell at all when I've added it to eggs or applesauce, or a drink. I would recommend that if you're looking for a supplement.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements to get the daily recommended intake of fiber (25-30g per day).

Eat lots of raw veggies with their skins. Apples (the skin) have lots of fiber, as do bananas. Sweet potatoes also have a good fiber content. Steel cut oats. Nuts. All are awesome. Personally, I like to add flaxseed meal to nut butters (go ahead and giggle) or yogurt.

Forget about "whole grain bread." It's a misnomer- how can it be whole grain if it's been pulverized into flour form? Whole grain means it has the hull and is fully intact. (I'm not saying don't eat whole grain bread- just don't eat it for the whole grains. Eat it because you want a sandwich or whatever).

Just a warning- if you are upping your fiber intake, do it slowly. Otherwise you will have gas from hell and constipation like crazy. Drink lots of water. At least 8 cups a day.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk. 1 tsp of the flavorless powder has 4.5g of fiber. 125 servings for $10, http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-psyllium-husk-powder
    Quest Bars - 17 g of fiber
    Also What Crow said.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements to get the daily recommended intake of fiber (25-30g per day).

Eat lots of raw veggies with their skins. Apples (the skin) have lots of fiber, as do bananas. Sweet potatoes also have a good fiber content. Steel cut oats. Nuts. All are awesome. Personally, I like to add flaxseed meal to nut butters (go ahead and giggle) or yogurt.

Forget about "whole grain bread." It's a misnomer- how can it be whole grain if it's been pulverized into flour form? Whole grain means it has the hull and is fully intact. (I'm not saying don't eat whole grain bread- just don't eat it for the whole grains. Eat it because you want a sandwich or whatever).

Just a warning- if you are upping your fiber intake, do it slowly. Otherwise you will have gas from hell and constipation like crazy. Drink lots of water. At least 8 cups a day.

This!^

Up your fiber gradually ... or you can have some serious tummy issues

Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.
    • Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation.
    •Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    have a can of baked beans the suppls are a rip off
  • pannellkat
    Options
    you may have been conned a bit.

There are different types of fibre - insoluble and soluble - and a variety of sources.

So it is possible that the magic pills will have a benefit above that of yet more wheat bran, try them and see.

Thanks. .25 soluble and .75 grams insoluble is the breakdown on this nonsense pills. I think I was conned. I'll stick to my beans, fruits and veggies.
  • pannellkat
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input , I appreciate it.