Avocado wake up call

Options

Replies

• richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've always loved avocados. I eat them in guacamole, with pasta, salads, beans, casseroles...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I actually hoped this was going to be some fearmongering nonsense thread of the tin foil hat variety...and was sorely disappointed
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    Woohoo Avocado! My afternoon snack these last couple of weeks is avocado slices with a little light mayo on sprouted grain toast (plus a pinch of salt and pepper). It helps me get through the rest of the day.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i love the big nut in them

Caught ya, Charles!!! :flowerforyou:

Seriously, though, an avocado is something you can add to just about ANYTHING. Anyone mention omlettes with fresh avocado on the side? Oh yeah...! You can slice along side any dish and change the whole experience. By the way, my husband isn't crazy about avocadoes either :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love avocado.
    I love olive oil.

But NOTHING replaces butter. :angry:

Meh, I'm with the OP. I have used olive oil in place of butter for decades and have never missed butter one little bit.
  • SummerMM1
    SummerMM1 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So I never ate an avocado in my life. I was kinda of afraid to eat one because my hubby hates them and told me I would hate them to. So I just stayed away from them.

Um, huh?

I'm still stuck on your hubby telling you what you would like to eat.

LOL, I am a picky eater and certain foods I would ask hubby if I would like because he knows my taste buds. I guess I need to stop asking and just start tasting hehe So really it was my fault :frown:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yesssum hooooray for avacados. I discovered them this year as well, but be careful as good as they are for you they also have alot of calories.

They are my favorite thing to eat when it's nearing the end of the day and I'm too low on calories. Oh, who am I kidding, they're my favorite thing to eat anytime.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My next hurdle is asparagus.

Fresh asparagus is not a hurdle - it's a treat. However, tinned asparagus is more a gigantic brick wall than a hurdle!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Avocados are AMAZING! I didn't start liking them until my neighbor brought over guacamole one time. (Still the best guac I've ever had), and I've been hooked since. My favorite way to eat them is with a squeeze of lime juice and salt with a little pico de gaillo (or salsa) on top. With tortilla chips, of course. :)
  • SummerMM1
    Options
    I've been making myself try vegetables that I've always said I hated, but using fresh produce and cooking from scratch. It can make a huge difference! I recently tried brussel sprouts, and they turned out to be really good (not at all like the canned kind my mom used to serve). It never hurts to give it a shot! My next hurdle is asparagus.

I know exactly what you mean. My mom would make canned asparagus, YUCK :noway: It was so disgusting I hated it. I went to a restaurant and it came with my meal, so I tried it and oh wow I LOVED :heart: it!! I am trying to try new things as well and get out of this pickyness. Finding I like foods I didn't think I would and that I still do not like foods LOL Good Luck on your food adventure!! :wink:
  • SummerMM1
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I am loving all the advice on how to eat advocados and I so need them. I can't wait to start trying all the yummy ways to eat them :happy:
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado every day! I get so upset when I'm out of them and the ones in the grocery store are not ripe. :sad:

Me Too! I love mashing them with fresh lime juice then adding chopped fresh cilantro - yummmmmm:tongue:
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh darn, there's goes the price on avocados. I better stock up now before the rush starts.

Actually, my family loves my homemade salsa. A couple months ago I discovered a guac recipe that was basically adding that salsa to smashed avocados and OMG is it good. I make it every weekend and we eat 4 avocados worth in less than a day.
    4 avocados
    6 roma tomatos diced
    1 med red onion diced
    1 jalapeno diced really small
    1/2 a bunch of cilantro leaves and tender stems cut small
    juice of 1 or 2 limes
    clove of garlic
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    I like to use a couple really ripe avocados and a couple that are firmer. This way I get the ripe taste and the chunkier texture all in one.
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    Today I had half an avocado on top of cos lettuce leaves, topped with cold boiled prawns and a seafood sauce. It was yummy and suprisingly light.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've seen a recipe blending avocado with coco powder and maple syrup to make a chocolate mousse, it sounds interesting but I can't bring myself to waste a beautiful avocado to try it out! Anyone tried it and is it worth it?

Not worth it. I was disappointed. Avocado and chocolate are two delicious foods that should be enjoyed separately, IMO!

Agreed. I thought it was awful and I LOVE avocados and anything chocolate. Total waste. Except that I told my bf it was chocolate mousse so he took a huge bite and seeing his face made up for the wasted effort a little...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well bless the poor OP's heart she lives in KY. Not like they are exactly known for their daring cuisine and fusionist cooking. Good for you for trying a new food...see it's not all bad.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So I never ate an avocado in my life. I was kinda of afraid to eat one because my hubby hates them and told me I would hate them to. So I just stayed away from them. I have been seeing an avocado craze spring up and was curious, but still didn't try them. was at a friends of mine house and she had an avocado and cut it up for all of us for part of our dinner so I tried it. I could not believe it, it was not bad at all. In fact it tasted good with a piece of it and a bit of food together. I can do this. So I am thinking I am going to start buying avocados and start adding them to my meals. I know avocados are very good for you so there is no going wrong there.
    My friend also taught me that night to add olive oil in the place of butter. You know what you really don't miss the butter at all and the olive oil is so good for you. Amazing what we can learn and try that betters ourselves :wink: :happy:

Kinda makes you question pretty much everything your husband ever told you, huh?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    add them to tuna salad it is amazing. i also slice a half up and pair it with my morning omolette.

you can also use it to top onto grilled salmon. just be careful with portions
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OMG I love them. Most mornings I have scrambled egg beaters, with a slice of swiss cheese melted on top (fyi: buttery lacey swiss is quite low in sodium), diced avocado on top and chipotle salsa. Yum! Look forward to it every day!
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    I also HATED them the first time I had them. HHAATTEEDDDD!!! Several years later I tried them again (by accident, in a friends guacamole) and loved them. Only thing I could figure is the first time they were probably still unripe, and the second time they were ripe and mixed with bacon. Yes, they are good for you, just need to watch the fat and calories.