How to lose excess weight quickly (temporarily and SAFELY)

Options
On June 8th I am going to be in my dad's wedding. When we were buying my bridesmaids dress, a woman's 16 was too big so I needed a 14 . Well, the next size down was a 10....and I bought it. What better motivation than to lose weight for a dress you have to wear on a deadline, right? Well, not really. It's actually been extremely stressful.

I tried on the dress a little over a week ago and, good news, it zips up. Bad news is that I can't move or breathe in it. Since I tried the dress on, I have gained 3 lbs. Why? I have no idea. But as of right now, I have 10 days to make this dress fit a little bit better.

I am looking for a way to drop some excess water weight quickly SAFELY. I realize it's a temporary fix and I am completely okay with that.

Any tips, tricks, or ideas? Thought about trying out Jillian's Detox Water: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1821630. I know the idea behind it is that it makes you pee all the time, but I can deal with that for a week.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Just wow....
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would have gone with the 16 and had it altered.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I crash dieted before my junior prom because I made the mistake of buying the dress a year and a half previously. There really isn't a safe way to do it. I drank a lot of water, made a lot of smoothies, and ate a lot of rice. The dress fit perfectly, but it was a stressful 10 days.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Spanx. Or see if a seamstress can possibly let the dress out a little.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Just wow....

^this ...

Sounds like you are looking for the scale to drop if you are looking to lose water weight ....my suggestion is you go have the dress altered so that it fits better and don't do anything unhealthy like starve yourself.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for you to buy a dress for the size you have now ?

I am sorry, I can not find anything else to help you.

Good luck in your search.
  • jadelunar
    jadelunar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Return the size 10 in exchange for the size 14 and have it altered.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've actually lost a lot of inches since I bought it like 2 months ago. I was just looking for a way to help with the extra little water weight for it to fit more comfortably.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    This will be an uncomfortable lesson soon not forgotten :frown:

Good luck on your next 10 days :indifferent:
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I love the JM water and I routinely throw lemon juice and a dandelion tea bag in my water (naysayers it is NOT a detox- you eat normally and just drink a very mild debloating tea.) that being said I'm not sure it really works but I like the taste!

I would say stick low cal within reason for the next ten days then be prepared to gain back after. When I say low cal I mean no less than 1200. Also minimize salt as much as possible.

Going from a 16 to even a tight 10 is a great accomplishment so congrats!!
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A professional wrap the day before, IT IS ONLY A TEMPORARY fix and will only last about 2 days. I had to do it to fit into a brides maid dress. It helps you lose water weight, but I repeat, IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY, it is not actual weight loss.

Added, a loss is not guaranteed, it is a gamble.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you can find a seamstress who will work with that deadline, I would see if they can help

Barring that, I would suggest drinking lots of water (to help flush out extra water weight), stay away from restaurants (high sodium), watch the salty foods at home. It might not make a big difference, but it might give you just enough wiggle room so you can breathe.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What?!
  • LilKip
    LilKip Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Spanx. Or see if a seamstress can possibly let the dress out a little.
  • LilKip
    LilKip Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A professional wrap the day before, IT IS ONLY A TEMPORARY fix and will only last about 2 days. I had to do it to fit into a brides maid dress. It helps you lose water weight, but I repeat, IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY, it is not actual weight loss.

Added, a loss is not guaranteed, it is a gamble.

and this
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    spanx or a corset or one of those wraps
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Going from a 16 to even a tight 10 is a great accomplishment so congrats!!

Didn't mean to discount that. That's awesome! Drink a lot of water and eat sensibly. You'll be fine!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Cut out carbs from now to then: much of what is lost the first two weeks of a low carb diet is water weight.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Continue to eat healthy and maybe do the 30 day shred. It may help firm you enough for breathing room and of course you could still do the wrap.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I would have gone with the 16 and had it altered.

Yeah! But, great job getting this far. Wow.