Recipe?

Ok, so we have an almost 2 year old and we're trying to eat better.

My son loves: http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Boyardee-Vegetables-7-25-Ounce-Microwavable/dp/B000MIAOWE

I would love to be able to make something similar at home and be able to freeze it. I don't like all the sodium it has.

Can anyone think of a similar recipe? Rice, chicken, flavor, peas, carrots. We are cooking challenge. our idea of cooking used to be put a frozen pizza in the oven. I don't even know if rice freezes well and defrosts well?

Arg, I hope this isn't too dumb sounding.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• MrBillson
    MrBillson Posts: 5
    I advise you to re evaluate your fear of salt.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    My 13 mo old loves the stir fried rice we make with left over brown rice from the night before in a hot skillet lil evoo or avocado oil, peas, carrots green onion a little liquid aminos(salt) and sesame oil and sesame seeds, rice vinegar and stir in an egg at the last minute or two..sometimes if we have left over pork chop or a little bacon i throw that in there too or other veggies. You can do the same with whole wheat noodles and marinara and stir in steamed chopped veggies....you want to hide them for your kiddo? Check out skinnytaste.com lots of healthy kid friendly easy recipes!
  • dhbratt26
    dhbratt26 Posts: 3 Member
    I don't make a lot of rice for my daughter yet, but I have made plenty of soups and stews to freeze during the winter--and the rice freezes and defrosts just fine:) I also worry a bit about the amount of sodium that kids consume these days--I hope you are able to find some good eats for you kiddos!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Rice freezes fine, no problem there. Regarding sodium: we get a majority of the sodium in our diet from preprocessed foods, and the research I've seen suggests there's a genetic component to sodium sensitivity. I've found my blood pressure responds to gaining and losing weight, but there's not much response to the amount of salt/sodium I consume. But that's me, and I've known others whose blood pressure is sensitive to the amount of salt they consume.

We don't need the amount of sodium we're getting in our diets from preprocessed foods, and your kids certainly don't need it. If it were me, I'd think twice before pumping the kids full of an element they don't need at high levels for health. For most of our history on this planet, salt and sugar were expensive luxuries ... and we didn't evolve to need the levels we find in preprocessed foods today.

You'll ingest less sodium by adding salt from a shaker or salt cellar at the table than by cooking huge amounts of it into your food ... you get the taste, and much less sodium overall in your diet (they add so much to processed food because it has less of an effect on the taste buds when it's cooked in). I seldom cook with salt, and add good quality grey French sea salt to taste at the table.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

Regarding a "fear" of salt. I don't have one. I just think this particular item has a lot of salt. I'm not worried about my 2 year old's blood pressure yet, but I really don't think he needs 31% of the amount of sodium (based on a 2k calorie diet). I agree pp with the fact that there is so much in some foods just to make it taste better. Some of them seem a bit excessive imo. I love salty foods, but I would like to make better choices for my son than foods I used to/still do eat.