NEED HELP with nut binges

Options
I have been generally good with my calories since this February, and I have lost 18 pounds so far. Yesterday I ate at least 3 handfuls of peanuts, a whole bottle of chocolate milk, along with EIGHT quaker granola bars. I felt terrible and I wanted to die. I told myself I was going to be back on track today. But today I ate even more mixed nuts, a cheese burger, and SEVEN granola bars( lol, little improvement). It's exam week here. I just kept on eating as I read my books and studied. Before I knew there were piles of peanut shells next to my textbook. Oh well. Tomorrow the exams will be over and I will get right back on track...I hope.

Anyone has any idea to why I'm having sudden urges to finish a whole lb of nuts?

Maybe I'm just too stressed out about the exams?

I can do this..

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a better variety of snacks around. But hey, could do worse than peanuts.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear hon. first thing, stop buying the foods you tend to binge on (like granola bars etc). nuts are great, but not the ones with all the oil and salt. BUT as you know, they calories and fat add up *quickly*. the issue is you are likely depriving too much...therefore, hungry (and/or depleted in various vitamins/nutrients) and gravitate towards binging.

eat more protein, exercise, and try to eat a little of what you'd like for a treat -- therefore, not totally depriving yourself in the first place.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Maybe your diet needs more variety - make sure you're getting enough protein and other fresh veggies, and hopefully you won't crave only nut bars. :)

Either way, exam weeks are allowed to be a little nutty with your diet. (see what I did there?) After you have more time to relax, you'll be fine. Plus, our brains burn way more calories than you'd think. Lots of intense study time really does burn more calories than mindlessly watching tv.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    omg during finals week i was a wreck. at least you're eating nuts... my stress food was cookies by the boxes. no joke. i'm so happy school is over... i'm back on track :) 4 pounds to go. you'll be fine :)
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Nuts are good. Eat 'em up!
  • lxjennie
    lxjennie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I feel a little better now .. :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Stop buying nuts.

I know that they are very healthy, but they are also very high in calories and the portion size is very, very small. Have you weighed 1 oz of nuts? A serving is about 15 almonds.

I cannot eat 15 almonds and be finished. That is not a realistic portion for me. I love nuts, and include them on days when I have calories to spare (lifting days) but otherwise avoid them. If you have to have them, buy single serve packs or nuts that are in the shell like pistachios, which take a long time to shell and eat.

Granola-type bars are also very "triggery" for me. If I eat one, I just want to eat a whole bunch, so I don't buy them either.

One of the things I've learned is that certain foods are dangerous for me to keep in my house. It doesn't mean that they are bad or forbidden, only that I have issues with portion control or that they trigger binge-type behavior for me. I don't keep them around anymore.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Anyone has any idea to why I'm having sudden urges to finish a whole lb of nuts?

Argh! I had the same problem where I used to work.... there was a huge bucket of mixed nuts that everyone was free to share and contributed to purchasing... I swear that bucket of nuts was like a magnet to me!

The combination of salt, fat, sugar, and starch in those things (cashews are high in sugar) is just too compelling... you are not alone... they're as bad as doughnuts.

I eventually had to learn to make rules for myself.... e.g., one handful *after* 4pm, none before. Still it would get me too often.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I LOVE nuts, I could eat like a whole can of them! So what I've started doing is buying nuts and immediately portioning them out into serving sizes. I'd feel really guilty eating like 5 baggies of them, so it really works for me!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i have no power over nuts.
    I literally have to buy them in 100 gramportions from the bulk bins or i eat whatever sized bag i have in front of me.

I would just not have granola bars around, or find a better snack. When i feel munchy and it's nerves, i will buy a big bag of precut broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. If i want something but I'm not hungry, i go to that. Not my favorite, but i have no excise at that point
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Bwahahahaha. You and me both sistah!
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey Darl

I am having the same problem but realised that this is making me feel sick! At home i have the raw unsalted nuts but at work i bought salted nuts - my solution: i am not going to buy salted nuts anymore.

When you feel hungry, make a proper meal: veggies, protein and complex carbs like yams and sweet potato. Fill yourself up on a proper meal so you don't get "snacky".

Good luck!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me... I'll just be standing here waiting for the disappointed pervs to misinterpret this post.:devil:

BTW: Almonds FTW! :love: Roasted and sodium-free, I buy big ol' 3# bags at Sam's Club monthly.:drinker:
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Have some fruit and veggies on hand to snack on.
  • lxjennie
    lxjennie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will keep them in mind. In fact I will start portioning my whole bag of nuts now...
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey hun.. just checked your diary to see what you ate before hand and i think to help you stop bingeing with the nuts and granola, eat a hearty breakfast such as 2 eggs, handful of spinach leaves, cucumbers, peppers etc or whatever veggies you have..

The granola bars were the first thing you ate that day so you were probably really hungry and needed something filling..

If you love nuts so much, you can have the meat and nut breakfast: Around 150g of meat (your choice of lean meat), handful of veggies, and handful of nuts..

Keeps you fuller for longer and no crash!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You are stress eating. Exams are very stressful. I'm in law school. I just try to keep my workouts up and let myself stress eat for finals month (within some limit). I figure, it's short term, a very specific stress trigger, and really, I can undo the damage the next month.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I portion my nuts by eating them out of shot glasses. Funny visual, I know. Also, I buy pumpkin seeds because they are nutty, but chewing on the shell talks longer, and tires out my jaw (yeah, funny, I know), and the fiber from it fills you up.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I LOVE nuts, I could eat like a whole can of them! So what I've started doing is buying nuts and immediately portioning them out into serving sizes. I'd feel really guilty eating like 5 baggies of them, so it really works for me!

This is what I do also, otherwise I could eat an entire container of almonds in a day.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdep38uMqu1rrakvh.gif